SAU Community

Steering Angle Sensor

SiR_RB

hi

ive got my bloody hicas light coming on after about 10 or so mins of driving on my R32 GTR

it has an aftermarket steering wheel, and the diagnosic test said this is the problem..

my question is how do i get to the steering angle sensor ? i know its behind the steering wheel but what does it look like?

anybody have photos or a step by step guide on how get to it?

also when i do get to it, what needs to be done to it, what do i clean? align ? etc

sorry about all the questions but its driving my crazy !!

thanks

was it doing it before the aftermarket wheel? if your aftermarket steerng wheel is causing the problem, check that you have got a proper hicas boss kit.

i dont know if there's any maintenance you can do on the angle sensor. i guess check for dry solder joints on the circuit board, and maybe blow it out wih compressed air for good measure?

this is what mine looks like. from a S1 r33 with no airbag.

it sits behind the steering column shroud. easy to take out once you have the wheel and shroud off. just 4 screws and a plug

post-29392-1269941781_thumb.jpg post-29392-1269941829_thumb.jpg

thanks mate !

i bought it with a nardi steering wheel, so i didnt touch it....i dont think it has a boss kit? arnt boss kits so you can remove ur steering wheel? the steering wheel is not removable its bolted on

i will sus it out anywayz, make sure everything is cleaned up

can you align the discs on the angle sensor? are they markings on the discs that i should take note of?

no you cant align it. the stock steering wheel, or an appropriate boss kit, will have holes in the back of it to accommodate the arms sticking out of the angle sensor. when you turn your wheel, the sensor turns with it.

thats how i understand it anyway.

also, yes you do have a boss kit. your nardi wheel is bolted to it with 6 bolts around the horn button. the boss kit is what attaches your wheel to your steering column.

• 4 weeks later...

ok this might sound stoopid but...How do you align the steering wheel angle sensor ??

can u take it a place that will align the sensor/steering wheel ??

need help on this asap

just read on previous posts that the hicas light will go on if the brake fluid is low on R32's ? i just realised mine is disconnected ?! where does it go, cant seem to find the place to plug it into !! so the connector is just hanging there ?

i think the brake fluid container has recently been changed, maybe for compliance?

what to do hmmmm

• 6 years later...

thought i would revive an old thread. cant seem to find what i need to find searching.

im fitting a nardi wheel with a saas bosskit which has the holes to properly house the two plastic parts for the steering sensor.

the bosskit has 2 sets of universal holes for different wheels to adapt, for my wheel to align it is on a 30deg (ish) angle to the locators. this is easy to fix as i just turn the locator to suit keeping the wheel aligned with the spline.

will this cause issues with the steering sensor and hicas? does this need to be inline with the spline or does this just start locating electronically on start up in relation to where it started from?

• 3 years later...

Is there someone who has the partnumber for the steering angle sensorer (SAS) ?

The plastic which goes into the hole was broken in 4 pieces when i took my steering wheel off.

Edited by legazzi

On 6/5/2020 at 4:32 PM, legazzi said:

Is there someone who has the partnumber for the steering angle sensorer (SAS) ?

Surely the correct answer is, "who cares?" Perfect excuse to delete HICAS, if it is not already deleted. No-one needs the SAS.