SAU Community

Blown turbo on GTR - any advice?

Hi all, just recently stuffed the rear turbo on my GTR. Sounds like a helicopter now as soon as any boost is raised. I've rung a few Jap import places and most have said they're pretty hard things to find.

Anyone been in this situation before and what did you do? I'm thinking a new turbo setup might be the go but money's tight at the moment due to building a house. Any suggestions would be appreciated! :P

This happened to me back in September. If it happened a week ealier, I couldve sold you my one working stock turbo, but its already been sold, sorry :P

From when I was pricing around I was quoted around the $800 mark per turbo to just rebuild and steel wheel the turbos (not highflow and no ball bearing). Rebuild, steel wheel and ball bearing to N1 specs was $2200 per turbo at GCG (ouch!).

In the end I got a set of second hand HKS GT2530's that were rebuilt in Japan by HKS (not rebuilt to Garret specs). Id say to save some pennys and either go replacements like the HKS ones, or rebuild + high flow + bb your standard ones.

Thanks heaps guys. Clint32, once I get the turbos off and get them sussed out I'll PM you.

We're organising a Group buy of Garret Turbos.. the prices are awesome, & haven't yet seen them cheaper anywhere else. Let me know, as we're trying to have the order put in by late jan, early feb.

here's the link, http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...ead.php?t=30086

I had been running 15PSI since I got the car, occasionally putting it up to 16PSI for the drags and cruises etc.

New years eve we went for a strap on an island with long straights on a private road getting it up to the 240km/h mark in fourth gear. Everything was fine until I slowed down then went to accelerate and I just thought what the f*ck is that noise....... worst thing I've ever heard. :(

We had to drive home about 100km at 50km/h (otherwise boost would cause that horrible helicopter sound), was quite strange having people overtake you like you don't know how to drive a GT-R or something. ;)

BTW, my car's only just done 70,000km now. And I'm pretty sure they're original km's coz everything's immaculate inside (and out). So don't be tempted to wind that boost up!

You were lucky that the turbo lasted as long as it did - stock R32 GTR turbos should not be run any higher than 14psi from what I have been told.

You can run higher boost on a stock motor (presently running around 20psi) but depending on the condition of the motor & quality of your tune it is also getting into the danger zone.

32godzilla,

I have got a set of standard 32 gtr turbos if you are interested.

Should really buy new turbos (2xgt2530 would be ideal), unless your insurance company don't allow aftermarket turbos.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm actually thinking of going to a single turbo depending on cost. I'd love 2530's or T51's but if I can get good response from a single then it's going to save me money in hardware.

Anyone converted from twin to single? Would you recommend it?