SAU Community

Throttle Body Fun

browny

I have a bit of a problem my throttle body and TPS. Engine is RB20 with custom plenum. The plenum was made to take an XF TB and I want to use the RB20 TPS to keep the electrics simple.

The problem I have is that the XF TB opens in the opposite way to the RB20 TB, so the RB20 TPS rotates the wrong way. See pic below:

tb.jpg

My ideas are to either

a. Find a TB which has the same mounting pattern as the XF but opens in the right way

b. Find a TPS which turns in the opposite direction and works with the RB20 ECU

Can anyone suggest which TB or TPS might be suitable?

Any other suggestions?

Hi,

I had this problem with my Ford Explorer throttle boddy. Bosche make a TPS to fit it - it's about $140 if I recall.

We measured the resistance of the original TPS (after al lit is just a potentiometer) with a mutlti meter - and the Bosche one was a very close match - Sorry I don't know the part number -

Anyway it works with a PFC - sh should be OK with a std ECU.

Hope that helps !

B-Man

Did the Bosch TPS you used also have an idle switch like the Nissan one does?

The Nissan unit contains the TPS and there is also a throttle closed switch and a WOT switch (auto), hence why there are two plugs.

AFAIK the ECU still uses the throttle closed switch with a manual trans. My understanding (may not be correct) is that this switch tells the ecu that the engine should be idling. The WOT switch is for autos and the manual Nissan TPS/Idle switch doesnt contain the parts for this switch.

Do you have any idle problems?

The Nissan throttle sensor which is the black box connected to the throttle shaft is actually a combination of 3 sensors:

Throttle position sensor (manual and auto)

Idle switch (manual and auto)

Full throttle switch (auto only)

My engine manual indicates that the idle switch is used by the ecu to control injectors, timing and idle speed. The TPS is used for injector control.

The manual wiring harness does not include the wiring for the full throttle switch and after cracking the throttle sensor box open this switch had been omitted.

For those who care, I found that an RB30 throttle switch rotates in the opposite direction and has an idle switch and TPS with very similar resistances to the RB20. The only external difference is that the idle switch has a different plug. The TPS plug is the same.