SAU Community

Is this a good deal

sewid

I went the Strathfield yesterday to look at their sale. I was almost talked into buying this combo:

Sony 800w 12" sub in a carpetted Sony box (heavy)

Sony Xm222 2 channel amp

Power and trigger cabling

RCA cables

$300

I dont know anything about car audio so I thought I would ask on here first. Im not really that worried about max power output, i would just like to hear some bass that doesnt vibrate my parcel shelf.

Thanks

its an alright deal..but for that budget i'd go 2nd hand and get some decent stuff for the same price. www.webaudiodirect.com for a cheap nice sub.

jaycar for cabling.

and a small 2nd hand amp to make up $300.

reason being, that amp is very small and used for speakers mostly.

not to mention the 222W model doesnt have any crossovers at all which is very rare for an amp..

cross over basicly is to cut curtain freq's out there should be one on your amp.

its used on the sub so it only recieve low freqs etc

some1 could do a better job of explainin but anyway no ones replyed !

if ur lookin for some splits to buy let me no i have clarions top of the range splits for sale $375 or nearest offer that will be have to be sold ASAP they retail for $550~

Yes, the crossover is a frequency filter.

I'm not the biggest fan of Sony stuff but for the price that looks quite nice. Just be careful to make sure you have quality cables. :P

Remember the old analogy; Top Fuelers don't run on quarter inch fuel lines. Amps don't pump power without the appropriate sized cables.

Ok so i got paid yesterday so i went and got the said equipment. Its pretty damn sweet. I had already wired up the Subwoofer outs to the boot last week because i had the dash off so all I had to do was wire the power up today.

So now with a JVC headunit powering 2 x 6inch clarions in the front and 2 x 6inch clarions in the back and a sony XM222 amp bridged powering the 12" 800w xplod sub in the boot it sounds quite nice.

Ive turned the rear clarions down a bit just enough to be audible to fill out the sound a little.

I turned the amps Low Pass Filter to "ON" but since im using the subwoofer outputs on the headunit should I leave the LPF off or on?

For cabling i have some AEPro RCA cables from the headunit to the boot, for power i have some 8 gauge stuff directly from the battery positive and negative terminals.

For speaker cable im using some 168/0.12mm or something from dick smith. Wasn't the thickest but wasnt the thinnest either. Only needed 1 meter so cant be too bad.

For terminals im using some from dick smith again. Should i solder the terminals as well as squashing them?