SAU Community

Cefiro A31 1988

Figured I'd post another thread in here to show it off some more.

Early 2009 I was on the hunt for an import.

Having little experience with RWD as well as high power outputs I didn't want to buy something modified that I'd probably just crash - I wanted a car to work on and get to know before driving it.

I had a few options, a running genuine Autech edition, a rolling shell here in Perth, a couple of stockers on eBay, or the one I ended up with. This looked like the biggest bucket of junk and that's what made it appealing to me, I could spend hours on this thing and not get bored.

I paid for it in full on May 17 2009, it left Queensland on May 19 and arrived June 2nd, a day earlier than the consignment was set for.

I took some pictures the day it arrived, but my computer plotted and finally turned on me, deleting a year worth of pics, and about 4 weeks in length of music as well as all my other shit, so all I can give is pics already uploaded.

image_url-62975-1247910577.jpg

-

dm3bk5.jpg

1988 Model

RB20DE (converted to R32 GTST RB20DET)

Auto (converted to manual)

Factory Sunroof

Factory HICAS

Standard grandpa spec seats and door cards

The only mods to the car at this stage were a 2 way diff (quiet aggresive lockups), a heavy duty clutch (VERY heavy) and a K&N M's filter. Stock non-turbo exhaust, loudened by an exhaust leak, it screamed like f**k. Other flaws from the start were that it wasnt painted (was already primed) a broken windshield, and stuffed rear tyres, all of which I was aware of before I purchased.

Ran quiet well considering the state it was in when it arrived, but I took it off the road anyway and dived in, and started finding problems, which to be honest I was expecting considering the price and lack of history.

* Exhaust leak was actually a broken exhaust stud INSIDE the block, to make it worse it was the further one back and between the two air con lines .... ammazingly, with the help of an SAU:WA user this came out quiet easily. The leak was soo bad that for over 2 weeks I was convinced the cars original color was black becuase the engine bay was black...I gave it a clean and suprise suprise, the original color was KH2, a faint light blue-ish kind of silver.

* Mexican style rewiring on ignition loom which resulted in loom overheating (and subsequently, its death) and well as the coilpacks throwing in the towel

* Horn not working (not even wired up)

* Interior bits missing

* Eletrical problems from front to back

* Rear windshield duct taped to body, no seal, external trims missing

* Split front bumper (fixed this with body and sandpaper)

* Chassis rail damage (nothing turned up on REVS in any states, still this was my own fault for not asking for additional pics of the car before I transferred the money over) (fixing this by brute strenth + hammer + bog + sandpaper)

* Signs that car had been belted out on the track a fair bit, supprisingly the panels were straight but it occasional ran like a dog's arse and the underside of the car was looking terrible, full of pockets of sand up in the cradle (even after being transported 4500km ....)

The list goes on and on, and as I progressed in fixing these problems, more poppoed up, eg I sat in the driver's seat to grab a drink and write an sms on my phone, playing with the pedals and to my amazement the brake pedal went all the way down, and slowly hissed its way back up, I then found all the calipers on rock solid and brake fluid pissing down the firewall.

After everyone's negativity towards it and months of one problem after another I had a trantrem at it and threw in the towel....nobody wanted to buy 50'000 pieces of Cefiro, so after a few weeks I cooled down and charged back into it head first:

Picked up some R33 GTST rotors, calipers, lines, booster and cylinder

Brake upgrade

Rotors before / After

I eventually sold the rotors to chase down aftermarket ones, and I've got to get some lines made up. The cylinder doesn't line up with the hard lines, but considering I got ALL of those parts for $400 I was happy anyway.

Few oils leaks at the top end of the engine, as well as intake and exhaust side leaks as mentioned, so I had to dive into that after removing the loom, I figured the engine could use a makeover: link

After cleaning the engine bay back to the original color I figured with half the engine bay out, remove the rest one side at a time and give it some high temp black to match my intentions: link + link

Again, eletrical problems, a combination of excessive heat and morons who either couldnt solder for shit, or just didnt have a soldering iron, had the interior in just as many pieces: link

Since I'm paid monthly, I get bored waiting for the next pay day, this usually gives me time to complete little jobs, such as painting inside the door jambs, interior, engine bay, etc: link

Dyed the seats out to black / dark grey: link

A bit pointless since I went and bought a complete optional interior, link

HSD TT coilovers arrived

JJR 5 Stud Hub conversion kit arrived

Monkey Warehouse Kit

Nolathane bushes front and back

At this stage I'm saving for a paint job (finally) while I fit up the suspension, bushes and brakes and track down some decent 5 stud rims, getting the windows tinted and still fixing up the interior.

I've gotta get an alarm fitted, then it's ready. Also going to order some DMax Vented Front Guards (30mm)

I'm also highly considering a VQ30DET Engine swap w/ Z32 5 Speed Gearbox, but I'll wait and see how the next few steps go and see what kind of mood I'm in after it's rolling again.

Loving this build mate, I had heard of it and knew it was happening, but didn't know the extent of it. I have a soft spot for Ceffy's after working on ANGR33's and SLYDR's cars. Great work, I'll definately be followig this one!

Thanks dude. Who did you hear this from?

Didn't know my build was getting word of mouth around anywhere, wow :\

I've got a spare VQ30 :P

What the hell do you have a spare one for ?

Cheap cheap ?

My brother's mate is able to get me a halfcut, z32 box, make an adapter plate, flywheel and driveshaft adapter. I've got the choice of Y33 VQ30DET, or Y34 VQ30DET NEO (leaning towards the later).

Another dude in Perth has got a crossmember that bolts directly in place of the RB crossmember and uses VQ engine mounts. The only loose ends there are gearbox crossmember/mounting, and exhaust work, which I'll get Kermit to carry out anyway. Them fiddly shit like wiring, speedo adapter and calibrations, etc.

I brought a Y33 VQ30DET then replaced that with the Y34 NEO VQ30DET.

Sadly it's in Brisbane though, so a massive pain in the arse to get to you.

You leaning towards the VQ30? If so I can try to assist where I can.

Thanks dude. Who did you hear this from?

Didn't know my build was getting word of mouth around anywhere, wow :\

Lol, I've just read a few of your posts, so I knew it was going on. Didn't know the extent though, pretty impressed with the progress so far though! VQ30 would be awesome!

Ahh k, the way you said it in your first post made it sound like somebody else told you about it.

All the stuff in my original post has been weekend work + 1 - 3 nights a week since about July (late) 09.

Some weeks I'll make wicked progress, sometimes I won't touch the car for a week or two on end. At the moment it's just little bits and pieces, and I've got like 3 grand of parts waiting to go in.

I'm having a stupid/fun time getting all the rear end bushes out. Havent even dropped the cradle yet, think it's gonna take me a while. But when it is all back together it'll handle soo sweet :D

Correcting one link, Brake Upgrade

This is a comparison of the stock brakes and the ones I upgraded to.

Apart from the notable size difference, the stock brakes are single pistons on each corner, the R33 calipers are 4 piston fronts, 2 piston rears, which should help along with the bigger booster.

New Master cylinder will be made up, braided lines for all for calipers will be made to suit the different hard line / caliper fittings.

I'll try and take a picture tomorrow of the engine bay as it is now. It's not longer being used as storage and all the respraying is done.

Edited by Nic_A31

• 4 weeks later...

Havent updated this in a while.

hve picked up another Ceffy to get around in, had a small amount of attention needed.

RB20E, auto.

Seemingly genuine 76xxx kms, some weird cloth interior, sunroof.

The seller fixed up a crashed in bumper and got it running, that left me with a rust spot on the rear right door, and the front right guard needing attention.

Rust spot has been bogged up, primed and painted...color definately doesnt match but it doesnt pull anywhere near as much attention.

Guard still needs fixing which will be done soon, and Thursday she's getting an alarm. I'll be temporarily (or perm?) putting my HSD coilovers into this, and registering it with the 20E and auto gearbox, but hopefully getting the 20DET and manual from my bigger project out and into this one.

As for the bigger project, I've barely looked at it lately, changed a few bushes but still in the process of changing every single bush front to back :\

Fitted a Cusco strut brace, and got R32 GTST wheels waiting to go on (need to change tyres to keep speedo in sync), also about to pull the engine and box.

Pics include initial condition, rust spot, and injury I sustained when I gripped the wrong end of a stanley blade which left me bleeding (quiet a lot) for well over an hour and a 3-4mm slit into my index finger, which is still recovering, 2 weeks later.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/po...100413-1716.jpg

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/po...100418-1231.jpg

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/po...0100418-1757.jp

• 1 month later...

On all the non turbos...like this one once upon a time, they have markers and trace lines in the panel, to show where to cut circles for the intercooler pipes to enter and exit the engine bay...despite this, Queenslanders/New South Welsh/Eastern Staters, STILL managed to f**k this up badly.

Here's before pics, and today's progress on the matter.

2mg8tw2.jpg

I dunno who the f**k calls that cutting...certainly not me.

They're meant to be neat circles...

I cut the panel out in two squares.

am8abk.jpg

I got a sheet of metal, stuck it up with some pop rivets.

2d17b69.jpg

Oncei t was mounted firm, I cut the holes out

bewbr.jpg

I blended the difference with a metal fibre bog.

10sdpx3.jpg

Then, sanded it back, and gave it some primer. Its still very bumpy...so it will need some more sanding, some putty and evening out, then it'll be sweet.

11jc4n9.jpg

Thanks dude.

Dunno how people manage to stuff it up...the holes are already pre drilled (atleast one for each pipe, if not all 4, depends on vehicle) and the circle is pressed into the panel.

At the factory they just punched the hole out if it was a non-turbo, otherwise left it in place.

• 3 weeks later...

Test fitted new coilovers and hubs today, coilovers go all sweet....worried about lack of thread at the strut tower when the strut brace is on, see how she goes.

Hubs are having some issues rubbing against the brake dust shroud, but I've gotta take those off anyway, for the larger rotors.

214z13r.jpg

Restarting on the brakes (having issues with paint not curing properly no matter how many times I try). Once next pay day hits, they're off for some sandblasting, then anodising, then I'm going to rebuild them with new seals, then they should be good to go with some braided lines. Will post pics of each stage of progress on that one.

Dinally dived back into it today, rear cradle is out, getting bushes changed, an epic clean and new coat of paint, and the diff needs a service badly. Managed to split a CV boot bringing it down :(

Otherwise not much else progress is happening, have been busy with the other Ceffy which passed roadworthy last Monday and shall be getting plates sometime this week.

Dug up another picture of the week it arrived, next to my old Maxima.

30ivpk9.jpg

Test fitted new coilovers and hubs today, coilovers go all sweet....worried about lack of thread at the strut tower when the strut brace is on, see how she goes.

Hubs are having some issues rubbing against the brake dust shroud, but I've gotta take those off anyway, for the larger rotors.

214z13r.jpg

Restarting on the brakes (having issues with paint not curing properly no matter how many times I try). Once next pay day hits, they're off for some sandblasting, then anodising, then I'm going to rebuild them with new seals, then they should be good to go with some braided lines. Will post pics of each stage of progress on that one.

Dinally dived back into it today, rear cradle is out, getting bushes changed, an epic clean and new coat of paint, and the diff needs a service badly. Managed to split a CV boot bringing it down :P

Otherwise not much else progress is happening, have been busy with the other Ceffy which passed roadworthy last Monday and shall be getting plates sometime this week.

Dug up another picture of the week it arrived, next to my old Maxima.

30ivpk9.jpg

Hi Nick, how are you doin mate? Nice cefiro u have there :) .

I was wondering if u know anyone who can help me source out Rb31 DETT engine. I'm planning to throw it into my A31 cefiro. Have anyone in the forum done this before?..if i can get the link it would be great. My A31 now running with rb20 engine. Have a good day mate...

cheers mate

thestig75

• 4 weeks later...

RB31DETT isnt a production motor, good luck finding one for sale, cheap.

Gotta build it buddy.

UPDATE:

That thing I did with the intercooler piping, not happy, ripped it all out and welded in properly, gotta take some pics yet.

Engine bay has been emptied out, front suspension and crossmembers down for a clean, again, pics on the way.

Hopefully rolling again so I can get stuck into the new motor/drivetrain work.

Not much has been happening on it lately, other Ceffy is on the road, on the way back from a (eventually successful) job interview, it died on me....just my luck.

Having a nightmare finding the problem, 2/3 the way through manual gearbox swap now, also close to getting a 20DET halfcut for it too if I can't find the problem.

Edited by Nic_A31