SAU Community

Welders

skyhighR33

I looked at the same welder str8...no water-cooler? I bought a chinese water-cooler and it works a treat and a sh1tload cheaper than the stuff that comes from kemppi, lincoln or any tig manufacturer

230amp, single phase seems good and they have a great reputation....I was just over inverters since I had nothing but bad luck with them.

I looked at the same welder str8...no water-cooler? I bought a chinese water-cooler and it works a treat and a sh1tload cheaper than the stuff that comes from kemppi, lincoln or any tig manufacturer

230amp, single phase seems good and they have a great reputation....I was just over inverters since I had nothing but bad luck with them.

the unit i just bought is air cooled

i thought about going water cooled but im not on the tig all day the machine gets breaks between welding while im cutting and grinding and or that sort of stuff so i didnt think a water cooled unit was needed

i use a lincoln at work and ive only ever used it on stick and when i had a stainless job and had to switch it to tig it just stopped working and i had no out put so when it came time to buy a personal welder i went with kemppi

If you dont want to fork out for an auto darkening mask... Get a really big spotlight for your welding station. ha ha ha

I've found the snap on auto helmet to be awsome- relativly cheap in the US

J.

this is the one i use at work

got given to me by another working when he became a supervisor ( he no longer needed it because he wasnt on the tools any more )

DSC00079-2.jpg

i love it

reason I like the watercooled torches is because of the tight spaces you can get into with them...not only that, they are easier to keep a hold off and I find leave a better looking bead....nothing to do with how much welding I do. If I do 2 or 3 hours on the weekend, that is the heaps, like you, the preparation is the time killer.

isl33p... i just checking your cigweld transtig on another forum.. didnt realise you were selling one.. and ive just bought the exact same thing...

did you have any troubles with it?? simple to use etc?? did most things??

havent had much TIG experience before so im looking forward to learning.

Its the first tig I ever bought. Not bad, but just sucks too much current for a single phase machine. better connect via 3 phase. Worked ok, but a very basic machine....they will never die...they live for ever.

Definately could not have done the stuff in my welding pic thread :D

its my first.. so i figured id get a decent quality machine with fewer knobs and learn the basics... no point having 10 different settings for 10 different things if have no idea what they do or how to get them right to lay a basic weld.. id be constantly chasing my tail :D

Good thinking. My current welder only has amp control, penetration adjustment (frequency), pulse setting and post flow....thats it so there is no real need all that adjustment. i have seen the best welders produce the same results regardless of the machine and its settings.

The more basic and the less adjustments/options and there is no choice but to learn how to produce the best possible result with as little as possible....that really shows the difference between an average welder and good welder.

reason I like the watercooled torches is because of the tight spaces you can get into with them...not only that, they are easier to keep a hold off and I find leave a better looking bead....nothing to do with how much welding I do. If I do 2 or 3 hours on the weekend, that is the heaps, like you, the preparation is the time killer.

thats a very good reason

when making manifold collectors u dont have much room to work with

i just switch to a smaller torch when it comes to manifolds

might think about getting a water cooler

if you like, I can give you the details of the shop I got my cooler and torch from. around $1000 compared to $2-3k for the original kemppi ones.

if you like, I can give you the details of the shop I got my cooler and torch from. around $1000 compared to $2-3k for the original kemppi ones.

post it up or pm with that shop too - the kempii at my shop needs a water cooled torch bad

• 1 month later...

Yeah i vote or the ELITE SERIES DIGITAL MILLER I got 2 of them The joker and triple 8 and they are fault less apart from the price tag, but i am welding roll cages most of the day so i need the comfort when i am twisted up in pipe.

• 3 weeks later...
Its all in the speed and the weave, and practice.

I am a first class metal worker by trade but not working with steel ATM, but give me a hour or so to get back into the groove and it doesnt look half bad.

My tip is to make up everything and anything, if you can get neat with good penetration you can pay for your gear by doing jobs for the boys, rip of as much material from work as you can and start stockpiling.

Also look into polishing gear for finishing.

Having you gear mobile is a huge plus to as you can fab up at peoples homes and workshops when you get good.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

^^^ same boat as me. its the only way!!!

im yet to buy a tig, ive always taken works welders home for the weekends, getting tired of that very fast thou!!!

as for the helmets. i just use a standard helmet. change the lenses if i have to but i dont usually.

we do the highest grade stuff at my work. i know i sound like a tool but pharmaceutical tanks is the top!

neeeeeesd to get ac/dc tig asap!!!!

• 1 month later...