SAU Community

Just reset my ECU...

Jetdat

I just had a new battery installed so i thought i would reset the ecu...

i have to say i never had a problem like flat spots or bad idle but i found that now i have more bottom end, and very suprisingly the rev limiter seems to be kicking in just past 7000, which before used to kick in around 6500!!! :D

and it not as violent as it was before the reset...actually its quite smooth...

i am wondering if anyone had similar results from an ecu reset, or anyone know why this happened....

look forward to comments.

i had similar results on my 32 as well. you basically reset the ECU so that it will relearn your driving characteristics again. i usually reset whenever i had any mods on the car such as air pod, exhaust, new oil change and even strut and sway bars. you will notice the RPM bouncing up and down a little but that's normal. run a search thru' the forums and you will probably find more comments on resetting the ECU.

disconnect battery, step on the brake pedal to drain all power and reconnect. start the engine and ECU will begin learning.

another way is to disconnect the battery and leave it for 24 hours before reconnecting it.

Resetting has smoothed out things for me a few times.

After I've reconnected the battery I let the ECU learn things differently to other people do.

I start the car and let it idle for 5-10 mintues. First off it's a little high and sometimes it hunts a little. After a while it learns the idle and is perfectly smooth.

Then I'll turn the air con on and let it idle for about 5-10 mintues, again it hunts for a while then it's perfect. Then again with the air con on AND the rear demister on etc...

Then instead of taking it out and reving the crap out of it I just drive normal.

Works a treat for me.

J

interesting comments so far...

i gotto say when i did the reset about 2 weeks ago i didnt notice much difference, but today i made sure i stepped on the brake pedal about 15 times to make sure all power drained...whereas 2 weeks ago i only pressed the brake pedal about 5 times.....

Guest RedLineGTR

A couple of hits to redline gets its characteristics back lolz ;) The ecu makes checks to the timing etc at every rpm etc...sort of it being born again and learning all of your crazyness.

Don't bother pumping the brakes, just hold the pedal down for at least 30 seconds.

What it does is closes the circuit to the brake lights, the lights will then suck all the remaining power out of the car, eg. all the power out of the capasitors etc...

So once the power is sucked out of all the capasitors in the ECU it will loose it's memory.

J

im a big advocate of resetting the ECU since i did it on my DR30 (FJ20ET engine)

my last car, S13, didnt seem to make huge improvements from ECU resets, mainly it did a bit wen i got full exhaust, and also wen i got big intercooler. but nothing major really.

but the DR! wen i got it it was running shit, misfiring like hell, seeming to hit the revlimiter as it tried to come on boost, hunting at idle, just running all shades of shite. then i changed the plugs (they were pretty worn out but not totally) and unplugged battery overnite and reset the ECU, and WALLAH! absolute perfection! revved rite from 0-7000rpm redline without a hiccup, didnt hesitate on gearshifts, and didnt hesitate on/off throttle.

it felt like a new car really just from ECU reset. but this is an old management system so its probably pretty shagged haha my mate said his FJ s12 did the same thing, wenever it got rough he just reset its ECU and it was perfect again!

also i accidentally overboosted mine to like 1.2bar and it made it go all retarded too so i had to reset to fix that. (0.9 is most i usualy run, or just under)