SAU Community

Operation Pipe Down - Vic Cops Vs Noisy Cars

ashneel

yeh i hear ya not trying to argue i feel the same way. just tryin to explain it.. if that makes sense.

good luck i say, but going to court wont be a matter of you being told that your right no epa for you, you'll actually be fighting for a change to the wording and procedure of the law, in short a massive task.

its like the hoon laws i could be driving along done absolutly nothing wrong and a prick of a cop could pull me up say i was doing burnouts impound my car and off to court i go, my word against his its a fkn joke.

let us know how ya go.

my exhaust test was a long time ago maybe its gone up since then but $75 sounds steep for a 30 second test.

It's $75...assuming you pass first time round...if you don't pass and you have to get a re-test, you pay another $36 for the re-test...again and again until you get it right :(

HID's need washers on them. Thats why r34 gtr's headlights get taken out because the r34 gtr never came with headlight washers

Factory or not, if it doesnt have washers they are removed (ie. r34 gtr)

Wouldn't water droplets disperse the light more? I don't get it. Why would you need squirters in Melbourne especially this time of year. :(

My HID's are factory with 4 position cabin adjustment and are cleaned weekly. Bloody stupid rule but I agree I don't want them being slapped in every falcadore on the road.

but I've seen Aussie market cars with HID's and no washers :? I thought they just needed auto level. Washers on lights are useless unless you live where is snows, they don't cool the lights down or anything so can't see why they would be needed.

but I've seen Aussie market cars with HID's and no washers :? I thought they just needed auto level. Washers on lights are useless unless you live where is snows, they don't cool the lights down or anything so can't see why they would be needed.

which cars would they be? Only aussie made car with HID's is the Holden Caprice and they have a pop-out washer nozzle on the headlamp.

The point of the washers is to wash off dirt from the headlights, as any dirt can refract the light and shine into peoples eyes etc.

Dirt buildup on headlamp lenses increases glare to other road users, even at levels too low to reduce seeing performance significantly for the driver. Therefore, headlamp lens cleaners are required by ECE Regulation 48 on vehicles equipped with low-beam headlamps using light sources that have a reference luminous flux of 2,000 lumens or more. This includes all HID headlamps and some high-power halogen units. Some cars have lens cleaners fitted as standard or available as optional equipment even where the headlamp specifications and/or prevailing technical regulations do not require them. North America, for example, does not use ECE regulations, and FMVSS 108 does not require lens cleaners on any headlamps, though they are permitted. Lens cleaning systems come in two main varieties: a small motor-driven wiper blade or brush conceptually similar to those used on the windshield of the car, or a fixed or pop-up high-pressure sprayer which cleans the lenses with a spray of windshield washer fluid.

220px-Headlightwasher0003.gif

The cop said to me they need auto level...and to be ADR compliant / engineered. In other words, if it's aftermarket you'll be spending thousands. Don't remember him saying anything about washers. If you're going to install them I'd recommend going for ones that look most like normal headlight colour (forget the colour spectrum ranges) and hiding the ballasts.

If these are so dangerous, why are there speed humps then, ban them not the lights.

What happens to the auto leveling ones when you go up a hill? Do they just point at the ground? Coming over the crest of a hill they would have to dazzle oncoming cars wouldn't they?

Dirt doesn't disperse light it absorbs it. Water will disperse it great though. Typical backward government regulations again.

whoops haha mine arnt full auto like that, ment to say auto adjustment

you have 4/5 different levels you can play with one the switch

whoops haha mine arnt full auto like that, ment to say auto adjustment

you have 4/5 different levels you can play with one the switch

That's the same with the R34's? There's a knob underneth the dash that you can change the headlight levels.

It's $75...assuming you pass first time round...if you don't pass and you have to get a re-test, you pay another $36 for the re-test...again and again until you get it right :whistling:

75 sounds alot birds, where you going? i went to daalder in january, payed in the 30s,40s for a test

I haven't been anywhere yet, that's just what is written on the EPA notice by the EPA themselves as like a flat rate for anyone you go to. Maybe things have changed since you boys last got done? They also say it'll be increasing to $77.20 from July 1st.

Hey Dos - did they (the cops) pull you up for it or did they observe your car?

I just got my EPA notice in the mail for exhaust. It says on the letter that (witht he crap removed) "A member of Victoria Police observed your vechile on Bourke St at 12:11am on 25th April 2010 and reported it to the EPA". I was actually driving down Russell St - so they must have observed me on the intersection.

And yes it's $38.60 inc GST as stated on the letter.

Okay so why the hell does mine say $74.90, and retest fee of $37.50...which will increase to $77.20 and $38.60 respectively from July 1st?

Does the EPA have different rates for the different testers? This is very dodge...

If these are so dangerous, why are there speed humps then, ban them not the lights.

What happens to the auto leveling ones when you go up a hill? Do they just point at the ground? Coming over the crest of a hill they would have to dazzle oncoming cars wouldn't they?

Dirt doesn't disperse light it absorbs it. Water will disperse it great though. Typical backward government regulations again.

depending on the car they will correct themselves my is250 ones adjust costantly but they are the ones that turn for corners and stuff as well. adaptive i think they call it

Okay so why the hell does mine say $74.90, and retest fee of $37.50...which will increase to $77.20 and $38.60 respectively from July 1st?

Does the EPA have different rates for the different testers? This is very dodge...

Thats because a full emissions test is 74.90 and just a exhust test is 37.50

Hey Dos - did they (the cops) pull you up for it or did they observe your car?

I just got my EPA notice in the mail for exhaust. It says on the letter that (witht he crap removed) "A member of Victoria Police observed your vechile on Bourke St at 12:11am on 25th April 2010 and reported it to the EPA". I was actually driving down Russell St - so they must have observed me on the intersection.

And yes it's $38.60 inc GST as stated on the letter.

OMG!! i was caught on russell street!! on the 23rd april @ 10.40++pm.

and no i wasn't stopped, but observed. I am still wondering and thinking when did i go past russells.

what a freaking pain in the ass -.- complete waste of time imo. :D

Edited by Dostalgia