SAU Community

How To Change Automatic Transmission Fluid

08yannch

*this should only be taken as a guide and if ur unshore u should let a mechanic do the job 4 u

hi every body 2 day i changed my ATF (automatic transmission fluid) and at the same time do a tutorial because there is nothing on the web for changing the ATF on a skyline its easy but its always nice to see how other ppl do it. this is 4 a R33 GTS25T 1996 but im guessing that all skylines are going 2 be pretty much the same

ok lets talk the sphincter of the universe

ur going to need

-7L of ATF and the good stuff only comes in 5L containers :down: so ur stuck with getting 10L so im going to drain the pan again in about 20,000km and then im never touching the auto again

-a good jack

-old rags

-a transmission funnel

-a flat head screw driver

-a ring spanner 19mm

-a small length of rubber hose 8mm ID

-at least 5L drain pan

-a afternoon

-plastic bag

when buying ATF u will need at least a dextron III oil. the most compatible ATF is castrol transmax z. i used gulf western full synthetic which is meant to be good for any automatic trans and at $80 for 10L i was happy and its a aus company :P

things that will make ur life easer

-a oil pump it makes poring the ATF from the large containers a easy job (try and get 1 were the pump can connect direct to to 5L container)

-a friend (to run the car, go through the gears on the spot while u pump ATF)

-a torch

i used this as i guide so have a look its a good video (not me)

well i did the same as this guy but a little different

when u fill the pan with new ATF over fill it a little because when u start the car to flush the torque converter all the ATF is going to go real fast and u dont want the pan to go dry and there is no way u will be able to keep up filling the pan with fresh ATF so u either stop the engine every 8sec or u over fill the pan and do it all in one hit. also if u have a friend go through the gears on the spot 4 u this will make it possible for u to pump ATF into the trans it wont do much but it will help

when i disconnected the cooler i didnt use compressed air as 300ml of old oil is not going to do shit. and i also didnt know which hose the ATF was going to come out of so i just pointed both in to the pan

ok when u undo the trans cooler u will not have enough hose for the ATF to go to the drain pan this is were the small piece of hose comes in. undo the lower trans hose and point it down. now connect the hose u got to the trans cooler and point it down as well. now get a plastic back and cover both hoses so that as the ATF comes out it is directed down in to the pan. easy.

once u are all done idle and go through all the gears on the spot P,R,N,D,SNOW(if u have it) shut it of and check ur levels. repeat. then drive around the block and check again. give it a little gas and check again. if the last 2 times had similar levels then ur all good if not repeat all the checks until it levels out.

if u have a Q's dont ask me i will not know im no mechanic and this was my first time changing the ATF so ur on ur own :D