SAU Community

1989/1990 R32 GTR Advice

Hi All,

I am seriously considering getting an r32 GTR from japan, either a 1989/1990 under the 15 year import rule.

Is there any advice I should know of before I actually consider this as a viable option. I will going for a bank loan and getting it asap so that I can get it paid up and secured before the import laws change again and I'm left with no option to get one.

Has anyone else gone down this path and had good/bad experiences?

I understand the car 15 years old and I am willing to put some work/$$$ into to ensure its relability etc, it will be a weekend/fun car as Ill have a stokie daily driver also.

Also this probably sounds a little "stupid" but does anyone have full comp on an r32 gtr under 25? :) if so who is the insurer and how much? I dont think there would be many but ill ask anyway :cheers:

Thanks in advance

If you search the forum recently there have been many posts on the same topic.

Good luck with the car :)

Ok I've searched, as I did before and found some information, albeit not exactly what I was after but anyway. Does anyone have full comp on an r32 gtr and being under 25 years of age?

It cant be a secured bank loan as its an imported car. Its an unsecured personal loan.

I'll be able to pay most of the loan off within the first year, I just wanna get the loan now and pay for it vs saving for a year and having the import laws changing.

Depending on how much you want to borrow, it can be difficult. When i went to the major banks, their maximum for an unsecured loan was $20k - this was a personal loan.

If you want a "car loan" (or secured loan, the security being the car) as opposed to a personal loan, its more difficult as they enforce various rules such as car must be under 8 years old (can vary), must be fully insured, and often they want to know which car you are getting, *before* they will give you the money. Basically, they want to be able to sell the car if you default at auction quickly and easily (happens a fair bit).. a GTR wouldn't really fit that bucket unfortunately so to them its just a hassle to finance something like that.

You may have to actually raise the first payment (for the car in japan), before they will fund the rest. Its a hard one, and i know people that have difficulty. They want proof of the car purchase (deposit or the like), and often how can you place down the money, unless you have the loan approved??

In general, the longer the loan term, the more likely they are going to give it to you, and the obvious finance checks. It will also depend on what you wanna do with the GTS-T (sell it for $, sell it and payout the old loan if you have one, keep it as security on the GTR, etc). Depends also how long you have been paying off the current car (if its still on loan), or any previous loans as to how willing they'll be to give you a loan for something more expensive.

Too many factors to list here, often you are best to just ring around, or even better, try and organise a meeting with a loans approval officer at a bank or whatever and discuss your options.

Thanks pred.

Well It will be a 20k unsecured loan which is OK with me. Hopefully have most of it paid off by the end of this year, just wanna get in before dotars change stuff and make it like 18 years or something stupid. Wish me luck :)

Yeah it tought it would have been insane pricing.

OK What about third party fire/theft but to market value? I'll be keeping it in the garage vs driving it and just want to be sure if it get flogged from the garage or house catches on fire then its insured. Too unrealistic? Any ideas there?

Just Cars recently quoted me $2600 for an 89 GTR (Getting it under the old 15 year ruling...OCT cuttoff :rofl:). Famous Classic quoted $2800 which is the one I'll probably get because I can choose my repairer and pay by the month. The quotes are about a month old and I'll be getting my car in February.

Yeah it tought it would have been insane pricing.  

OK What about third party fire/theft but to market value? I'll be keeping it in the garage vs driving it and just want to be sure if it get flogged from the garage or house catches on fire then its insured. Too unrealistic? Any ideas there?

Sorry but i dont think you will find an insurance company that will give third party fire and theft up to market value. The max is usally $5000, and you would be paying up to $1000 excess anyway, plus ur premium.

Pay for comprehensive, or go without insurance. Which is crazy, especially seeing you will be borrowing almost the entire value of the car from the bank. What happens if you crash? Youre'stuck paying it off and you still dont have a car. :thumbdwn:

Yeah ill be going thru risbey for sure. Thanks for the advice guys - I'm still very keen to secure an r32 gtr before dotars change it all then ill be forced to get a one already in aus and pay much more.

SEVS wont let u compile r32's or r34's. Is this still the case?

Well there aren't any workshops with permits to compliance them