SAU Community

Help with engine noise

95GTST

Sliksilvia, right on the money man... I took the car down to a local pro installer and he said straight up that even though you may have heard good reviews of Jaycar amps, they're plain SHIT!!! He put in a ground loop isolator and what do you know, no more engine noise. He said they've seen alot of Jaycar stuff that just isn't up to scratch... I paid $225 new for my little 2 channel amp, after reading some reviews about it, but I think from here on in, no more shitty brand stuff for me.

Thanks heaps guys.

Again guys I do apologise for the apparent 'grumpiness' above. I should also make it clear that this is in no way directed AT 95GTST and his issue. :cheers:

It's just that day in and day out we have numerous (usually young) customers coming in with the same problem and all I do is change their RCA's, redirect them or put in one of our amps temporarily to show them and nearly every time the issue is solved.

They sit there with a mountain of electrical textbooks looking for some magical explanation on why they have this noise when the real issue is that they have gone for the cheapest stuff they could find. I know in theory cables shouldn't make a whole lot of difference but everytime I switch an old set of Aerpro RCA's with something like Stinger Dream's the results speak for themselves... :cheers:

more personal experience here, i got my alpine deck n coustic amp all hooke dup for about 6 months with NO interference problems whatsoever, the other day i isntall a TV screen n xbox into my car, i have ALL the wires running on the passenger side of the car, including the power on wire for the amp, i used basic AV cables for the TV n sound and i get interference when im playing the xbox the same interference your having that goes with the engine revs, but i swithc to play an mp3 direct form the head unit and there's no interference, so im guessing that coz i bundled the wires right next to the battery thats the problem, or perhaps thye are cheapo AV cables, coz my RCAs for the head unit are stinger RCAs, so my question is, where can i buy proper quality AV cables ? like the red white n yellow ones that wont get nterference ?

• 2 weeks later...

Also, if you altenator is not earthed properly it'll cause some wired problems, we have had a few people with problems like that, and with skylines (r33's), their earth is in a bastard of a position - e.g. it doesn't run right up to the engine, so it really relys on making perfect contact with the chassis.