SAU Community

hicas lock

Banno

Hicas lock is very effective for track work. The hicas system is actually not to bad for road driving, but it corrects you, so if you're drifting, or taking a hard corner, it corrects your over/under steer (This is my understanding). I got intoa bit of trouble one day cuase the hicas kicked in when i was going sideways, and it nearly cost me my car. I know for a fact, that any car that is set up for track (skylines that is) they use the hicas lock system by religoin. If you're going for track use hicas lock. Its $295 for the TOMEI hicas lock, which is the best one out as far as i know, its availabe at nismo.com.au

Hicas%20lock.jpg

If you want to turn of the HICAS, and can put up with the light, you can just pull the sensor connection in the engine bay. It will allow no signal to got the HICAS computer. I put in the tomei kit,and it tells you to do this. The interceptor that plugs in to the HICAS computer is just ot stop the light coming on.

i'll scan the instructions tonight and post them

Chris

I'm not 100% sure but I think there is more to it than that.

The Tomei HICAS lock (I've got one, he he he) has brass shimms that need to be installed in the hicas system somewhere. You can see them in the picture above.

Now I honestly have no idea where or why they put them in, but I'm sure it's for a reason.

I've never driven a R33 with HICAS hard, so i can't compare, but I know mine is very predictable when sideways :D

J

I don't know if the r32's are the same....but a very quick and cheap way is to dissconnect the HICAS plug at the diff.

You will get the dash board warning light thou...

takes about 30 seconds. this was on a r33

The brass rings in the Tomei kit are to mechanically lock out the HICAS actuating rods located next to the diff.

I haven't put these in yet, but have done the rest of the installation. Main reason being is that you need to get your wheels re-aligned because it gives each wheel more toe in, and I have only just got them alligned.

It seems funny that you cannot just buy an electronic device to disable the HICAS....perhaps it really isn't that safe to ONLY electronically disable it? I have felt a HICAS "Twitch" and at highway speed or more I wouldn't want that to happen.

This is why all the HICAS lock kits by TOMEI, CUSCO etc are both mechanical and electrical.

Chris32....lets say that the brass rings are 3mm thick then all you have to do is wind the tierod end IN 3mm to compensate for the spacer. Shouldn't be that hard.