SAU Community

Drifters help please!! (What car?!)

dale

• 2 weeks later...

S15?

You are probably better off buying an S13, having $ to set it up well for drift, and itll be heaps cheaper to fix when you smash it into a gutter, pole, another car, tree, tyre barrier.......

PPL will hate me for saying htis, but if it has to be new, up to mid 40k, and able to drift, then you really cant go past an SV8 Commodore.

Hows 0-100km in 6.05sec, 1/4mile in 14.03, 235kw @ 5200rpm, 465Nm @ 4400rpm, 6spd manual... but sadly 1561kg.

Its the plain Jane of the Holden family, but as a result less weight, and fresh canvas to buy wheels etc that you like...and all for a list price of $40,490

I cant think of a new car, or even a soon to be released car that will do as good a job withe the $$$ you have....have you tried getting a Nissan dealer to ring around to see of a dealership has an S15 still sitting in a yard (maybe rural dealership???)

Guest MFX_R33

Yeah, but have you ever tried to really drift one.... The S15 is your best option by far. But do you really want to learn to drift in a brand new car?? You are better off getting a new car for day to day and an old silvia or something to learn in, cause smashing up a new S15 (and you probably will) is really going to hurt the wallet.

Jeff.

Is it new you were really chasing or just something different?

I understand that an S13 doesn't seem to appealing because it is a little old and it has been done many many times (often with easy and excellent results)

If you want the new car look but are prepared to go with a second hand vehicle, why not look at a new Toyota Chaser... save some money on the new car and spend it on suspension, exhaust and some little mods and you will have a drift weapon for a whole lot less than anything new... and it will be easier to drift and being cooler to drive (ie pull chicks) better than most brand new cars (the women that don't love it more must be blind)

anyway... that is my vote if you can afford it...

check out a JZX100 Chaser...

however if you really want to learn to drift hard and majorly slideways

go cheap and nasty get the best cheap S13 Silvia you can find

go suspension, exhaust and intercooler and some cool mis-matched jap rims

you will soon be Dorifting with the best!!

be warned though to be the best requires heaps of practice ( smartest to do on closed roads or the race track) and generally involves heaps of Spins, prangs and general carnage of your vehicle...

just a little warning

p.s see my silvia has white rims on front and silver on back... you will go through rims if you drift... never put big $$$ rims on your drift toy to learn...

Yeah, but have you ever tried to really drift one....

I cant drift to save my life, so i dont bother.

But whilst being a moving obstacle at Eastern Creek i have seen two guys in std Monaros performing awesome tyre frying drifts...drifting better then any Jap car i have ever seen in the flesh. Everyone who regularly attend the Motoconcepts days knows of these guys in the Monaros, so if they can do it in STD cars, then i can see why others can do it.

And i think Backup needs a new car for specific reasons, and if your drifting at tracks, EC with its new Skidpan or Wakefield with its open days, its cheap and more fun then you can ever have on the street...AND SAFE so no damaged panels or wheels.

You may not be a fan of Holdens, but you have to respect the fact that they can motor... and i think look tidy with nice wheels and lowered a tad.

I agree with your statement on the fact that anything can be drifted... but I can tell you that I am also a Valiant NUTTER... I got a dirty big VG coupe and I have had it sideway many times... however it is NOWHERE near as controlable or and downright EASY to drift as my nice little S13 toy... I understand the new car problem but it would be simply crazy to do it to a nice new SV8....

and as for damage on the track... it's safer... but don't be fooled into a false security... when you hit a wall, and if it goes bad enough you WILL hit a wall (seen it done a Queensland Raceway) it will be a $40 000 dollar car that is written off with no insurance instead of a $10000

In saying that... yes you can drift a commodore.... yes they look sweet with some rims...

yes they look fat when dumped on their GUTS...

IF you have heaps of money and nothing to do with it Go for it....

and hook up with the Drift Club... they go sick and have a few Commies on board that go just as hard as all the Imports... Check them out or go and see Darren at Autoshop in Marooka, Bris...

actually if your looking for any info on the dorifto you should go see him...

I agree with you Roy,

But I do think, if you're serious about learning how to drift - you don't buy a new car. Buy an already drifted out S13 turbo and take it around the track. Odds are you're going to hurt it more, so why do it to a nice new car :)

I agree with your statement on the fact that anything can be drifted... but I can tell you that I am also a Valiant NUTTER... I got a dirty big VG coupe and I have had it sideway many times...

Cool i used to have a VH Valiant, with a 265, please tell me you got a 318 or something up front :D

Your all right, the sensible thing to do is get an S13 sh1tter... and spend all your money on going to tracks and having fun :D

But i think he needs a new car, otherwise he doesnt get financial help with the car :P

As for bouncing off walls at the track... was a passenger once in a pretty big hit :Oops:... wasnt pleasant, and yeh can still happen, but if you drive within your limits then its highly unlikely

Guest MFX_R33
and yeh can still happen, but if you drive within your limits then its highly unlikely

That is all fine to drive within your limits if you are race driving, but drift is about pushing the limits. It is easy enough to drive within your limits and keep the car under control, but in drift you deliberatly try to get the car out of control. Even the best drift drivers still regularly damage thier cars.

Jeff.

That is all fine to drive within your limits if you are race driving, but drift is about pushing the limits. It is easy enough to drive within your limits and keep the car under control, but in drift you deliberatly try to get the car out of control. Even the best drift drivers still regularly damage thier cars.

Jeff.

I would steer clear of Oran Park if you want to drift, maybe 2 corners id feel comfortable drifting (assuming short track)

But at Wakefield, you can drift every turn, and at Eastern Creek even a ding bat amateur like me can drift turns 2, 4, 6, 9 again safely, if you loop it then there isnt anything to hit. Perhaps even coming onto the straight although if you lose it as you are doing about 100-120km/h on exit so possible that you could hit the outside wall if you do a shoicker of a tank slapper.

This is of course assuming you dont keep you foot buried when any rational person can see, that Drift or not the car is too far out of control to be saved, and jump on the brakes.

Any when trying to drift i typically have a 15-30km/h lower corner entry speed, otherwise all i get is a bit of oversteer on corner exit. That means you are typically doing 60-80km/h on most of these turns...

I think that in Sydney the places where you can legally drift are pretty safe as they are CAMS approved venues with all the safety requirements to meet top level motorpsort.

That said im sure there are ppl that could prove my beliefs wrong, perhaps i just havent seen them yet. :Oops:

Ok as someone who HAS drifted for 2 weeks in a borrowed SV8 Series II, I can say that as far as new cars go, they are THE SHIT!

Very controllable, lots of power, very comfortable, shit brakes, steering could be much better.

However, I agree that drifting or circuit-sprinting a new car is very foolish. The manufacturer can void your warranty and that ain't pleasant when something actually goes wrong on the car. If you wanna be different, the Toyota Chaser, Nissan Cefiro or Hachi Roku are all good "learner" cars to punt. Otherwise buy a V8 Yank POS (Camaro, Mustang) or a V8 ute.

Has anyone mentioned a XR6 Turbo ute yet??

Turbo so that your keeping with the Dorifto style... yet brand new so you can get your finance... I reckon with a exhaust and filter and maybe an aftermarket water/air intercooler and you would have yourself a filth drift pig... awfully expensive but awfully cool.