SAU Community

Anyone have an Alpine CDA-9807 CD/Mp3 headunit?

paulr33

Hi All,

Im after some feedback, I've got this unit in my R33 and it kicks ass. However I found it sounds it a million times better with MX off and Deft on, on the unit. With it off I get low signals being cut out such as vinyl crackle/noise from high quality cds and also loose some volume from the track. With it on the CD's seem so much louder and cleared, tons more trebble and bass :rofl:

Does anyone have a similar experience with this head unit?

Ok I've just found "DEFT" aka Defeat puts bass/trebble to factory settings and turns MX compression OFF. Previously I had bass/trebble at some level (unsure of what) and I turned on DEFT for the first time and so much more punch and sound from the CD's.

If you're lacking sound capabilities with the CDA-9807 try turning on DEFTEAT

turning on defeat turns all your settings off ... so that its pretty much pure cd music with no equaliser settings from what i know ... personally i never like to mess around with the settings ... apart from the sub control ... MX is a waste of time ... just another eq setting ... just a marketing thing i think ...

yeah, i found that with defeat on the clarity is hugely improved. Just gotta balance the output sound by adjusting the gain controls on the speakers and that is pretty much how i do the eq one mine. Previously spent hours doing the whole eq thing and while it made everything sound pretty fancy, overall it sounded a lot more artificial.

Yeah I've left mine with defeat on and no other eq settings or MX it sounds fantastic. Just the sub level at +10 and all the amps cranked to full. It's great

One of the best sounding head units ive heard

Guest SXY.033
Yeah I've left mine with defeat on and no other eq settings or MX it sounds fantastic. Just the sub level at +10 and all the amps cranked to full. It's great

One of the best sounding head units ive heard

Yeah i have the 7893 - and turn the MX expander off and like others prefer to tune it myself.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the 9807 and like most of you I don't use the MX either, and my defeat is on too. I have the sub set to +10 as well, and it sounds sweet just like that.

I had a Sony before this unit, and used to listen in Loud mode most of the time, and figured I'd end up doing the same when I got the Alpine put in, but I've noticed that I don't need it on (due to more internal power and 4V mains output to my amp, maybe?), and I agree it sounds kinda artificial and "forced" when you put the MX on - even when listening at low volumes, which is when you're most likely to use any kind of Loudness control.

Nick T.

• 2 weeks later...

The MX button is only good when your listening to radio. If you turn your MX on when a good song goes on the radio, the bass that is lacking in a lot of Fm radio signals are kinda put back. Try it next time. But ye, with cd's or mp3's and so on, i never turn it on because the clariety drops and my alpine sounds like a sony headunit hehe :D

• 3 weeks later...

I'm picking up a CDA-9815 head unit on Thursday so I'll be sure to set it up like you guys have suggested :D

I'm trying to decided if I should bother getting a basic 2ch amp (Alpine MRP-T220 ?) to run the front 6" (SPR-175A splits) or will the CDA-9815 be good enough? I'm not after big bass, but a little bit would be nice. Not interested in subs, too much weight.

I wouldnt get an amp. I had Kenwood 7x10 HQ's running off mine and they sounded great I couldnt even turn the headunit right up.

Now I use the headunit with the standard GTR Speakers which also works well. Not quite as good as the 7x10's but these GTR speakers are older now I guess

amp the fronts for sure. this is a definate, it will sound great. then when youve done that amp the rears too, get some good 6" coax alpines and amp them aswell

Thanks for the feed back fellas! Well here's what I've settled on...

Head unit - Alpine CDA-9815 (got this for $800 RRP-$999)

Front - Rockford Fosgate 6" splits (not yet sure which model - but quality ones)

Rear - Rockford Fosgate HE RFP4806 6 3/4" 8ohm subs (30-150WRMS power range)

Amp - Lightening Audio 50WRMS x 4ch

Should be a bit better than the dead stock system I have now. Won't add much extra weight either... which is important for "full street trim" legal drag racing :D