SAU Community

No speed limiter...chipped ecu maybe?

NickR33

Just discovered the speed limiter on my 33 has been disabled some how...The car is completely stock '95 model...I had a look for cut wires etc but couldn't find anything that looked suspicious...the car has only recently been brought over from Japan and it was suggested to me that maybe the ecu has been chipped.

So for all you tech whizzes I have taken a photo of inside the ecu...(a bit blurry sorry)...it looks pretty stock to me but I could be looking at a photo of my arse and I wouldn't know... any help would be appreciated. :(

cos...um...it went way past 180... it would have been to at least the 220km/h mark then I slowed down... maybe I didn't give it time to cut before I slowed down... I kind of got scared cos it just kept going and my gf was beginning to look nervous;)

i have the same.. no signs of any wire cut, no speed cut defender wired in, and the ECU inside looks stock.. but will go a fair way past 180. Your ECU looks like mine (stock there).

Maybe there is another method? or maybe it wasn't included in a rare number of cars. I've always wondered!

looks like a stockie ECU.

my ECU is modified and it looks a 'tad' different to yours

BUT, in saying that. Over in Japan they can mod the ECU's a number of different ways.

Those Square chips at the bottom of that pick can be modded.

But yeah, it could be your speedo is out.

I had my old car with a limiter almost around to the reset before the cut came in :)

If the MEC number on the ECU matches that on the outside of the ECU then it would be stock.

For the R33's it wouldn't be financially viable to re-chip it JUST to remove the 180km/h limit.

Maybe they installed a speed cut defender and had it installed right up under the dash, way out of sight? Or maybe Nissan was feeling nice for a few months :)

J

Nick - Don't go by the speedo for the cut as most of the R33 speedo's I've seen are way outta wack at those sort of speeds. However - ALL off the speed cuts I've seen are at 5,000rpm. Use that as you test - not the speedo.

mine definately doesnt have a speed cut. So lucky for me, have been racing other 33's 32's S13's etc with speed cuts, they hit em and i keep goin. I have gone right off the clock for awhile a couple of times and do not beleive there is still one hiding away somewhere. To me its not something i am concerned about or even ask the question about. Its a bonus the way i see it.

check the wiring going into the computer. There is one that is i think green with a yellow stripe and mine has a wire spliced in there and definitely no speed cut, so I suspect a computer is installed. From meggala's site i believe this was the speed wire.

With the stock ECU, mine used to cut at ~5,000rpm as stated, which was just past vertical on the speedo. I happened to be beside a mate's S6 RX7 on a couple of these occasions ;) , his car cut about a second before mine did.