SAU Community

The GTS-R comes back to life

R31Nismoid

Over the next 2-4 weeks my car will be getting put back together with the help of one of my mates who works from home.

And i'll keep a running total of all the costs in the quest for a decent aftermarket turbo set-up, on a reasonably tight budget.

And having to PAY for all work.

Not like the usual threads/sites where they dont have to pay for labour.

Mine will all be included!!!!

So i'll use this thread as i bit of an update for what is happening/going on etc.

I'll also get a hold of DIGICAM!

To capture all those important moments in my cars fixing *cough*modification*cough*

Firstly, parts have been ordered today brand new.

A nice Garret GT30 - $2007

Turbosmart/turbonetics 45mm Wastegate - Approx $700 i think

Let the modifying begin!!!!

Another update over the weekend with pics hopefully.

And then more costings of all the flange plates etc that are being made!

hopefully this thread is of use to someone other than me :)

nah, im just going turbo for now and get it running again etc.

So we'll see what sort of power we end up with.

Im not going to guess a figure. I'll be happy with what we manage in a tight-ish budget.

Thats all the thread is about, doing a decent turbo conversion that requires a lot of farting around. Just to show, that it is not as expensive as one thinks.

all the motor business comes later on this year i hope.

Well, that's the plan anyhow :)

but then, that wont be a tight budget operation.

and I know you hate this question, but at what rpm does the garret spool up?

i aint even got the thing on yet!

lol!

so im not going to guess. Once it's on i'll give a definate real-life figure.

Not one out of a book!

what about injectors, fuel pump and new manifold? Then chipping your ecu?

My car might finially be ready by saturday, we had nightmares getting my high mount manifold to sit properly without the turbo touching on any other part of the engine bay.

good work.. hope it goes well. yeah, and keep up the pix along the way..

I would DIY also and give installing injectors, turbo myself, but lack of $$ sucks ;)

Still $3k, and you haven't even really started yet! :) upgrading to any form of turbo isn't a cheap process.. will be interested in the final figures.

while you're there, may as well rice it up as well (see below) :P

Ash do youself a favour and dont get the sard side feed injectors when u upgrade. They are a pain in the ass to install and seal properly

what about injectors, fuel pump and new manifold? Then chipping your ecu?

My car might finially be ready by saturday, we had nightmares getting my high mount manifold to sit properly without the turbo touching on any other part of the engine bay.

No new manifold... the one i have is being modified.

I got fuel pump.

And injectors will be in 2-4 weeks time. But i dunno what yet.

probably the dreaded sard side feed's lol!!!

But first hiccup encountered.

The turbo supplier was going to have the turbo here by Thursday... it's now been delayed 2 weeks. :P;) :bs!: :bs!:

So yeah, but good news. The external 45mm wastegate was $684 or something near that

So that was better than expected

get used to hold ups, they occur alot when doing this sort of thing. If i had no hold ups my car would have been finished more than a month ago

Yeah, im not phased... that brings the car being ready right back to just about when i get the plastic back.

So it's not like i'll be without a car.

Im so upbeat about getting it back it wont matter what happens lol

it'll be back eventually

No new manifold... the one i have is being modified.

I got fuel pump.

And injectors will be in 2-4 weeks time. But i dunno what yet.

probably the dreaded sard side feed's  lol!!!

I would get some nismo 555cc or the blitz ones even tho they are a little more expensive. The sard ones need collars to be side fed the others dont which makes them easier to install

sounds great ash I'm on a similar path with the sr getting a trust T518Z 10 cm for it should be good for around 250 rwkw I think the power bug is biting every one looking at getting injectors as well what ar ratio are you getting adn what hp ratign is the turbo

meggala

It's a Garrett GT30, with a .82 EX housing.

I dunno what comp, i think they are all the same but im not sure.

The HP rating is something a bit short of 700hp so it'll have the goods... but for the time being the motor wont.

Oh well lol!

Thanks for the tip Denham. I'll pass that onto the guy that's getting them for me.

Ash for ECU, i dunno. I'll stick with the stocker for now and see what the good Dr. can whip up for me. So we'll see how that goes and work it from there :cheers:

I would get some nismo 555cc or the blitz ones even tho they are a little more expensive. The sard ones need collars to be side fed the others dont which makes them easier to install

Last i checked, by the time you add in the price of the collars, you may as well just buy nismo or blitz or something as it works out the same..

It's a Garrett GT30, with a .82 EX housing.

I dunno what comp, i think they are all the same but im not sure.

The HP rating is something a bit short of 700hp so it'll have the goods... but for the time being the motor wont.

Yup, good choice.. tuned for lower boost levels (hence keep same c/r), able to flow plenty of power, and not much more lag than stocky. And best of all about 1/2 the price of HKS, etc or a 2nd hand 3037 or something.

:cheers:

Last i checked, by the time you add in the price of the collars, you may as well just buy nismo or blitz or something as it works out the same..

Yup, good choice.. tuned for lower boost levels (hence keep same c/r), able to flow plenty of power, and not much more lag than stocky. And best of all about 1/2 the price of HKS, etc or a 2nd hand 3037 or something.  

:)

Yeah, if you have to buy collars separate then stuff it.

Just made the phone call... lol! i'll be getting 555cc Nismo now. :aroused:

But yeah, i was never going to go 2nd hand turbo or anything.

Too risky of it being a tad old and blowing not long after getting it.

And yeah, it'll be kept to low boost. 20psi or less should do me fine.

But probably 14-15psi till i do internals is my guess.

So it'll run like a DREAM!