SAU Community

How do you remove the inlet VVT cam gear?

GiJOr33

I'm trying to get the cams out of my RB25DET (R33 skyline) and can't seem to get the big 19mm bolt undone on the inlet (VVT) cam gear. Am i supposed to twist it the normal way to undo it (clockwise) or the opposite way (anti clockwise)?

Am i going about it the right way? or is there some other way of getting it off?

Thanks

Andrew

dont twist it too far otherwise there maybe contact of valves with pistons as cam gear will turn coz some are overly tight. My best advice is to give it a quick short jolt with a rubber mallet on the spanner. Continue with this afew times and it should come loose. Can be a stressful thing. goodluck

yeah i did the rubber mallet thing but it didn't help. I need to know which way to twist it though. I'm not sure if i should be going anti-clockwise like you normally would to undo something, but normally on rotating parts you undo it the same way it rotates.

Thanks for the tip though with the moving of the cam. I'll make sure it doesn't turn too far (it hasn't yet).

this is gonna sound dodgy but when its needed it is handy. U can also get a big screw driver and poke it through one of the holes in the camgear itself and sort of jam it from turning. Then proceed with the spanner and mallet trick. Best results would be if u had someone to hold the screwdriver tight so u could concerntrate on the cam gear bolt. Generally i would imagin u would undo it from anti-clockwise direction but a quick call to a performance shop will mend the query

sweet as... i'll give it a go. So looking at it from the front of the engine you turn the nut anti-clockwise. I would have thought to undo it you turn it the same way as the cam turns (which i assume is a clockwise engine rotation).

Thanks

Andrew

hehe... you were right. I got it off.

It's funny, i would have thought that to undo the bolt you would do it the same way as the rotating part, otherwise it can undo itself while rotating. As the cam turns clockwise, that's the way i would assume to undo the bolt. I'm pretty sure that you undo the crank bolt clockwise. Oh well... it's off now, and i think my pistons a buggered :cheers:

Gotta check the head tomorrow for burnt valves... i think too much boost and not enough tuning was the cause!