SAU Community

Fuel Cooling

Neil

Just thought I would ask anybody if they had tried cooling their fuel before the fuel rail. Many years ago and I mean many,,,I used to build and prepare a Drag Commodore for the Castlereagh Dragway. I used to curve the fuel line into a mulitple circle type thing (like a Still) and run it in a container full of dry ice. It worked a dream. I know that Mazda's RX7's factory 12 hour team also used this method but they chilled the fuel before it got into the tank and as history goes they dominated. Could be something you Drags guy's could play with.

Neil.

in a mild street car which most have i dont beleive the hassle of setting it up is worth while. As for more hotter setups ie drag cars or quick streeter maybe there is some sort of fuel cooling. Me personally am in the mild streeter category and although have though about some sort of fuel cooling have never gone ahead with it.

gtsm you are spot on. X5 3litre Diesels use the same cooler. Two Part numbers 13322247411 or 13327792140. They are only available ex germany but thats only a 3 to 3 week wait. $138.07 + GST.

Neil.

Neil,

I think this is a good idea.

A few blokes on SAU are using big pumps which wouldn't be helping with fuel heat, especially the people using swirlpots.

I remember seeing on TV one night that when they transport and then pump the fuel into the servo's that the fuel needs to be a certain heat so they know excatly how much they are pumping (to charge).

Fair enough it's mass volumes, but this leads me to think that fuel density is greatly effected by heat.

So I would guess that fuel density changes would have a simular effect on a motor that air density would have !!

And we all know that turbo cars hate hot air and mega hot days.

I wonder if/how this would effect the tuning ?

J

I was wondering the same thing Jay... given that tuning usually occurs on a dyno where air flow may not represent that of driving??? would be interested to know the results.

Neil, Have you got a picture of this cooler?

Dan.

meshmesh,,,the hardest bit of installing it would be actually mounting the cooler itself. The hoses are easy as,,,,you just need to run a new hose off the fuel filter outlet and a new one onto where the old hose went.

Jay and Dan,,,I can't see any reason why it would affect tuning. It's just a small version of an oil cooler,,,very non-restrictive,,,and it's fitted before the fuel rail and regulator. Dan sorry no I don't have a pic,,,just pop into a BMW dealer pull the bonnet on a diesel X5,,,,it won't take you long to see it.

I can't see a dyno picking up on it. Next time you go for a drive,,,stop and feel the fuel filter,,,,it gets bloody hot.

Neil.

My main problem with fuel is that as it heats up, the fuel pump gets noisier. It doesn't seem to affect my knock level much if at all, but I'm not sure how much power it would be robbing because of the extra heat.

If I could hook up a fuel cooler on the cheap I'd do it just to help get rid of the pump noise.

guys,

I did a fuel cooler on a KE25 strolla racecar to solve a problem,. The car had a 1.8 turbo off a jap sillycar. the fuel kept vaporising due to heatsoak. the frontcut i got the driveline out had AIRCON. I got some fuel line and ran it paralell with the input of the aircon just b4 it hit the cabin. I wrapped heaps of insulation and it worked very well....almost to well as sometimes there would be ice on the rail after the cooler. I cant say I have had a close look at a skylines fuel and aircon systems, but it is possible. I also ran the cabin cooler in the glovebox and kept my water cool. to find the right pipe just run your aircon and its the only cold pipe under the bonnet. I also recommend the whole system on the cold side be insulated with double foilback insulation.

Just thought you might like another way.

Mal