SAU Community

Fuel Cooling

Neil

i have got one at work am going to try it so if i get pipework made up to run from filter  

to cooler then to regulator ?

gtsm,,, it would only have to be fuel hose buddy,,,,no need for pipes. Yes I do work for a BMW dealer by the way.

Sydneykid,,,,that system would use dry ice wouldn't it.

GTRman1992,,,more info please buddy.

I have seen this system fitted to a BMW E30 318is running a supercharger,,,But for the life of me I can't work out how to get a before and after temp reading.

Neil.

Neil - I was just thinking if you have a core like the one SydneyKid showed and imersed it in liquid and used what is called a Peltier (spelling) device you could really cool it down. Those are the devices you find in the car fridges you buy. Basically you put power in and one side gets really cold and the other really hot. So you put the cold side in the liquid and put an electric fan on the hot side. They work really well and can be bought in different sizes.

Just looked it up in Farnell catalogue. Called "Peltier-Effect Heat Pumps". Cost between $100 and $200 depending on size.

I like this idea, main reason i wouldnt consider it in my car is the possibility of fuel leak/fumes etc etc. But thats cause im dodgy :Oops: , if done properly then im sure it would work a treat. :)

When considering this a while ago, i ended up thinking that it may suffice to just insulate/ceramic coat the fuel rail/lines in the engine bay. But perhaps velocities mean little difference would be observed. Still it would tidy up a rather petty looking part in the engine bay.

guys,

the driveline out had AIRCON.  I got some fuel line and ran it paralell with the input of the aircon just b4 it hit the cabin.  I wrapped heaps of insulation and it worked very Mal

The older Jags (eg Xj6 S3, 1979 onwards) had this factory. Fuel lines in parallel with the aircon lines with heatwrap around them both, not sure how effective it really was, never came across a Xj6 which still had working aircon! :rofl:

The older Jags (eg Xj6 S3, 1979 onwards) had this factory.  Fuel lines in parallel with the aircon lines with heatwrap around them both, not sure how effective it really was, never came across a Xj6 which still had working aircon! :)

Ha Ha Ha,,,Cecam,,,your Jag comments crack me up. Crap car indeed. Great idea but poorly excuted. I gota say I think the morosso one would be great,,,but that would have to be in the boot and not a good option for a street/track Skyline. The BMW one is looking like the goer at the moment. My Car will be on display at the Skyline NSW Show & Shine day in March,,,so if anybody's interested,,,just ask.

gtsm,,,M3 CSL,,,Carbon Fibre Missile. Yes I have seen them,,,we have sold 3. I can't beleive the amount of work BMW go to make the M3 better,,,,. Carbon-fibre roof is so ricey. Sometimes I also wonder what one would be like without all the electronic devices that control the driver. I work at Canterbury BMW,,,do a internal e-mail search,,,you will find me.

Neil.

Hi guys, the Moroso and other such "cool cans" can use normal "wet ice" or "dry ice". The Moroso ones, being for Nascar's, are not designed for high pressure (as in fuel injection) so we mount them in between the surge tank and the high pressure pumps. That way they have no pressure. They cost around $US100, so they are not all that expensive. I have seen others, usually made totally out of aluminium that will handle high fuel pressure, they can then be mounted in the boot, under the boot or even under the bonnet.

Hope that helps

If you're going to use a peltier, make sure you cool the hot side otherwise heatsoak overwhelms the cold side :D I've got some 172 watters waiting to slip themselves into my PC... 1 - 2 minutes at 12 volts it was enough to freeze the water vapour out of the air onto a 12mm thick slab of copper :cheers: