SAU Community

R33 GTST Gearbox - sensor plugs

Bobjones

Ok after trying to find the shudder that occurs some times when putting IN the clutch, ie checking rear gear box mount...(note I am yet to find the problem)

I noticed TWO plugs on the drivers side of the gearbox casing. One had a balck cover the other blue, both with two wires.

Now the problem is the black one is connected the blue covered on is not.

Can anyone tell me what these are for??

Why is the blue one not connected???

Should it be connected, considering I cannot find the female side to connect it??

Dammit I need one of those workshop manuals :flamed:

Hmm, that's strange. It could be a series 2 thing, but I dought it.

I've seen these two plugs on 2 x R33 GTS-t's, 1 x R32 GTR, and 1 x R32 GTS4. So my guess is that it's right accross the board of R32 and R33 manuals.

One plug would be for the reverse lights, and the other may be a speed sensor ?? I know that the speedo cable is plugged into the rear of the box, so I'm not sure why it would need 2 speed sensors... :)

Maybe an overdrive (5th gear) sensor?

Do your reverse lights work??

J

Yeah reverse lights work, just cannot locate anything that may in fact plug into it...

And I am sure that the speed sensor/limiter is working if you get my drift...

I have had a look at a series 1 and it had the same plugs, but the gearbox had been replaced with an unpsecified year second hand box...

One plug is the reverse switch (closest to the front of the gearbox). The other is a switch to tell ECU when the gearbox is in neutral or 5th gear (I can't remember which off hand). Shouldn't affect anything greatly if its disconnected and won't be the source of the shudder, which sounds like it's related to the clutch itself.

Thanks Steve, I thought that may be the case, its coming out of the box, an auto box would be completely different...

As for the shudder I am thinking of taking the box out as the throw out bearing is making some noises...maybe the alignment of the pressure plate is cactus.

I think the black one (closest to front of car) is the reverse one definitely cause the reverse lights still work...just weird that the other one has no friend...

Thanks