SAU Community

My Gt3076 Conversion

hey all,

thought I'd set up this project page and share the work a friend and me are doing on my car.

car is 33gtst spec2 with rebuilt RB25det engine with all the forged goodies. Did a recent compression test and it was spot on so its given me alot of security for my plans - namely fit Garrett GT3076 turbo top mount and get the best from it all in whichever way I can!!

so the main parts to fit so far to my car will be:

Garrett GT3076R ball bearing turbo

Top mount manifold from Owen Developments

Tial 44mm ext. wgate

Greddy GTR style plenum with Q45 throttle body

so this morning got up, breathed a bit, had breks, missus went pilates, I started whipping a few basic bits off the car - filter, afm, piping to turbo and things like that. Realised I were gonna get a bit stuck with various bits so I gave Ian a shout at about half 10, picked him up and he came over to gimme a hand removing the manifold and wotnot. Actually he ended up whipping the intake plenum upper half off (swine of a job even with rachet spanners but not impossible lol). At this point we realised that the plenum bolts underneath were quite loose which will have been the reason it was idling like a little swine (ie: all over the shop). Anyway onward!

Ian then went to work on the manifold. two bolts have snapped but shouldn't be agonising to take them off by welding a bolt on.

Got old manifold off then while the studs were there we decided to test fit the manifold, turbo and downpipe n wotnot. Its pretty darn close but there's a small issue or two to sort which I'm hoping wont be agonising.

anyway enough of my waffle, heres the cool bit - PICS!!!!!

Ians mittens test fitting the top mount manifold..

p1030507.jpg

you can see the T4 to T3 flange fitted on the manifold...

p1030508.jpg

p1030509.jpg

love this pic - its already taking shape hehehe...

p1030510.jpg

turbo was fouling against the power steering reservoir so unbolted it and moved it out the way slightly for the moment. Ian said a gtr one is a good swap and bolts nearer the front of the bay so I think I'll get one o those...

p1030511.jpg

p1030512.jpg

p1030513.jpg

here we got the wgate on...

p1030514.jpg

p1030515.jpg

We then got the downpipe on which mated to the four bolt flange on the back of the turbo in the pic above. It bolted nicely to the mid section of the exhaust and to the turbo but there seems to be a bit of an issue. The takeoff pipe from the ext wgate seems to not quiiiiiiite mate neatly to the wgate - we're tallking 3 blinking mm here bah!

p1030516.jpg

p1030517.jpg

p1030521.jpg

so plans now are to use the propane canister I bought today with the burner thingy and warm up the pipe then 'persuade it with a block of wood and hammer lol! It really doesn't need alot as you can see in the pics, but I'll take my time and make sure the pipe is super hot then knock it into shape. Need to speak to Chris @ Conceptua regarding tackling this.... or should I just blank off the hole and run a screamer pipe hehehe! :dance:

again massive thanks to Ian on here for coming over and helping me out - really appreciate it mate.

just need to get my old tub up for sale on here now :)