SAU Community

My Tyres Scrub on arch plastic

Chino

Mine flew off at a high speed long dun down south... scared the bejesus outta me...

I hav left only the left one on. Coz i got stick intercooler you see!!!

I talked to my mechanic guy and he agrees that it would only help by giving more air to your brakes...

I think its cos the stock front bar looks a bit flimsy with out them...

Cant provide and structural rigidity, its held on by plastic bolts that snapped!!!

Hi Chino, if the tyres are rubbing on the plastic inner guard panels, then the car is too low. It would handle and ride better if it was the right height ie; higher. Plus by removing them you risk..

1. Slowing the car down, the aerodynamics were designed to have them in place.

2. Damaging the inside of the guards with rocks, stones and other stuff.

3. Damaging the wiring harness that is covered by the panels

4. Allowing dirt and then moisture to build up and be trapped in the areas covered by the panels, rust is next on the list.

5. Damaging the outer guards with the tyre, if it hits the inner panel what makes you think it won't hit the outer guard given the right combination of bump and steering angle?

6. Damaging the suspension mounts as there is not enough travel to soak up the bumps, it might be uncomfortable for you, but eventually it will crack the chassis in the loaded areas.

I have a few more if you want, but I suspect that may be enough.

my plastic inner guard ended up tearing itself to bits. The loft side is on and only has a couple of rub marks but the right side seemed to be alot bigger and once a plastic clip broke at high speed the wind pushed the inner gaurd onto my wheel and burned a hole in the damn thing. Then things were flapping and carrying on so yank...off it came :cheers: