SAU Community

R32/r33/r34 Rear Suspension Terminology

Hi All,

I am trying to further understand the rear suspension of an R32/R33/R34 skyline. I have done a lot of searching and reading. I am confused with the terminology as different people use different terms to describe the same suspension component. It seems there are three main suspension components in the rear of an R32/R33/R34 skyline.

I am wondering if someone could help line up the following:

Quote from Tarmac:

Lower control arm bushes

Rear Traction arms

Quote from Sydney Kid:

Just to make sure we have this covered, there are 3 links (each side) in the rear suspension of an R32/33/34;

1. Upper Control Arm, this mostly adjusts the camber, but it does change the static toe a small amount at the same time

2. Traction Rod, this mostly changes the dynamic toe (bump steer), but it does change the static toe and static camber by small amounts at the same time

3. Steering Arm, this changes the static toe (HICAS connected or disconnected)

Where are the lower control arms?

Quote from my suspension place:

1. Upper Control Arm

2. Lower Control Arm

3. Steering Arm

Where are the traction rods?

I am assuming traction rods = rear traction arms ?

Can someone please help match up this different terminology.

Edited by Harey

Come on fellers, I spend a lot of time on this forum helping other people out, it would be greatly appreciated if someone could help me out with this.

Would also be good info for other people in the future.

Lower control arms are front and rear. On the front they are connected by a ball joint to the front sub-frame and another ball joint to the hub. On the rear they are connected to the rear sub-frame by two bolts and a ball joint to the hub. All of this is for a 32 GTR so I'm not sure if your GT-T would be different.

Traction rods are found on the rear as you suspected. You can see them behind the the wheels and are angled back in towards to centre of the car-(ish).

In the pictures below on the left you can see the rear setup. The short red arm towards the rear is the traction rod and the black arm at the bottom is the lower control arm. In the picture on the right the shiny arm on the top is the upper control arm, this one is after market but you get the idea. The lower control arm is just visible behind the hub.

Is that what you were looking for?

post-8807-1274326301_thumb.jpg

post-8807-1274326315_thumb.jpg

Edited by jonn

Thanks Jonn

I have numbered the 3 red suspension components from you picture. Would you be able to match them up to what you described?

post-29432-1274326756_thumb.jpg

Sure, 1 is the upper control arm, 2 is the traction rod and 3 is a HICAS rod (this is to disable the rear steering setup) your car will probably have the HICAS still installed and it will have hydraulic lines going to it.

All the parts in the picture are aftermarket but gives you the general idea.

Sure, 1 is the upper control arm, 2 is the traction rod and 3 is a HICAS rod (this is to disable the rear steering setup) your car will probably have the HICAS still installed and it will have hydraulic lines going to it.

All the parts in the picture are aftermarket but gives you the general idea.

Hi John, could you please advise if the aftermarket suspension replacements sold by the likes of eg:JJ are actually street legal? I am in Queensland for road transport laws?

I have HICAS lock already installed in my R34 GTT.