SAU Community

Laser Eye Surgery - Who's Had It, Where Did You Go?

Blitz_boy

Hi guys,

I'm considering laser eye surgery and just wanted to see if eny had got it done and where they went.

I've been tested and I'm an eligible candidate.

The 2 most reputable clinics seem to be:

1. St Kilda rd laser vision centre, Dr Guy Olerenshaw

2. Vista laser clinic, Dr Rick Wolf

I've had a couple of friends get it done at St kilda Rd vision, but I don't know anyone that has gone to Vista.

Please share your experiences good or bad :)

I was actually considering it but its still pretty new, sure PRK has been around for at least 20 years, but its still a cosmetic surgery and pretty much an unnecessary risk to your eyes. Even though the success rate is close to 99%, you won't know whats going to happen 20years down the road. What they do is burn off some of the cornea and stuff, sounds pretty scary to me.

I've been tested at vista but haven't had it done due to the cost. I find it funny how they have radio ads comparing the costs of laser surgery to 10 years of contacts/glasses/optometrist visits etc. - If I could pay off the surgery over 10 years I'd have done it already.

I like how vista have the wavefront analysis, which gives a must more tailored result.

One thing I found out while I was there was that the flap that create using lasik never actually heals o.0

Based on that I'd want ASLA even if my eyes weren't more suited for it.

Yeah I liked Vista because there technology seemed really good, but I'm wondering how there after care is.

St Kilda rd Vision are really conservative and I know they have excellent after care.

I heard about the flap never healing. It's not a real problem unless you sustain massive eye trauma (like and air bag going off) but I would also choose the ASLA/PRK option.

Edited by Blitz_boy

Done mine in Singapore (where I am from) for less than 3k for both eyes (with blade but some special treatment to allow for faster healing and better vision at night, meaning lesser orb effect). Doing this in Australia is very expensive and considering the number of people thats doing lasik in Singapore, it makes the surgeons here a lot more experience.

My vision isnt perfect on my right eye (around 80) but overall I'm very happy with it since I done have to wear glasses anymore (used to be 550 on each eye). I would strongly recommend people to do it. My only advise is go in there with a gambling heart. You cant expect a perfect eye sight all the time because I agree that eye is 1 of the most complex organ in a human body and everyone is different.

i guess you must be happy with everything??

Yeah definitely

It was fairly pricey back then, not sure what it's all worth now though.

I went there because it wasn't one of the places that advertises everywhere and I was referred by my Dr (turned out we knew the surgeon too!)

Yeh I got it done last year and couldn't be happier, I was short sighted, but went to dr medownik in richmond and paid $4,200 for both eyes, they give you pills then tell u to watch tv till ur drugged out completely you won't remember much after that untill you wake up with plastic patchs over ur eyes and some plastic glasses, then u sleep for 3 days straight only getting woken up to eat or toilet, u need someone to help u for atleats a week, ur eyes are really dry after the surgeory and thy put u on 3 different types of drops for a few months then ir vision increaes over time then bang 20/20 vision by 3 months or so, I recommend medownik laser clinic, hope this helps mate

Yeh I got it done last year and couldn't be happier, I was short sighted, but went to dr medownik in richmond and paid $4,200 for both eyes, they give you pills then tell u to watch tv till ur drugged out completely you won't remember much after that untill you wake up with plastic patchs over ur eyes and some plastic glasses, then u sleep for 3 days straight only getting woken up to eat or toilet, u need someone to help u for atleats a week, ur eyes are really dry after the surgeory and thy put u on 3 different types of drops for a few months then ir vision increaes over time then bang 20/20 vision by 3 months or so, I recommend medownik laser clinic, hope this helps mate

oh, very different to mine - i was awake for the whole thing... and got a video of it!!

I cant recommend anyone from your area, As i'm in brisbane..

But i got mine done 3 years ago. I was going to have the lazer method, Where they laser a flap of skin, do what they do to your eye, Then simply fold back the flap of shin, And you can pretty much go back to work within 2-3 days..

However.. On the day of surgery, They found some scarring on my eye, Which ment that they had to do the Blade method. This way.. They scrap away the layer of your eye, Do what they do.. Then cover it with a contact.. Which is removed after a week.

They gave me tablets and put eye drops in my eye.. And once that had set in.. It was time for my surgery.

I was awake the whole time.. Was a very weird experience, I remember them scraping my eye with the blade, And having some cold flush for 40 sec etc.. My sight would go from perfect to not being able to see anything during the surgery.

I had to put 4 lots of drops in every 5 hrs (Or vice versa) So i pretty much slept for a week and set alarms to wake up every 5 hrs . My sight went from really good, to crap then back to really good throughout the week.

They kinda had a sandy gritty feeling.. But i was never in much "pain" as such.

After a week they removed the contacts and my sight was still not 100% but came good within a day or 2.

I Was -6 in both eyes, Before my surgery. I now have 20/20 vision. And can read the smallest line on the eye charts..

I've never looked back since having laser eye surgery..

They said that i may need reading glasses when I'm older, But thats a small price to pay to have 20/20 vision and not have to worry about contacts or glasses everyday.. Like i once did...

Edited by 83CKS

I had a friend who did it, excellent results but be prepared to stay at home for a week or two or wear sunglasses... and its painful also.

no it doesn't!

i think it totally depends on the type you have (Lasik or PRK).

Lasik is quick, easy and pain free

PRK they laser straight into the eye, so longer healing process and have to wear the contacts or glasses afterwards or whatever.

Lasik they laser the top of your eye, so its like a flap and fold it over, then laser your eye, fold the flap back. put on the eye cover things and you walk out of there. sleep with them on, go the next day for your check up and your done.

i wore contacts, my eyes were -3.5 in my left eye and -3.25 in my right. they lasered the same amount resulting in me having 20/20 vision in my left eye and better than 20/20 vision in my right eye. how do you have better vision than 20/20? i dunno!

thanks for all the feedback. i'm -5 in both eyes.

to be honest it does freak me out to think i wont be able to see for a few seconds. i guess the valium they give you would help.

thanks for all the feedback. i'm -5 in both eyes.

to be honest it does freak me out to think i wont be able to see for a few seconds. i guess the valium they give you would help.

i wasn't freaked out but it was tricky when they told me to keep starring at the red dot and then when they fold over the flap they just lasered and everything goes dark - i can't see the red dot and spose to be starring at it!!

i didn't feel nervous or scared or anything like that, but when they offered my the valium - i said i'll take it!

Hi guys,

I'm considering laser eye surgery and just wanted to see if eny had got it done and where they went.

I've been tested and I'm an eligible candidate.

The 2 most reputable clinics seem to be:

1. St Kilda rd laser vision centre, Dr Guy Olerenshaw

2. Vista laser clinic, Dr Rick Wolf

I've had a couple of friends get it done at St kilda Rd vision, but I don't know anyone that has gone to Vista.

Please share your experiences good or bad :D

Rick Wolf did my eyes about 3 years

Amazing results

without a doubt the best in Melbourne/Australia

My brother just got his eyes lasered about two weeks ago at Medownick.

They tested him and said he was fine to get them done.

I have never seen someone go through so much pain from just laser eye surgery. My dad got his done last year overseas in Europe, and his results were fine. My brother however, was sick for a week because he was in so much agonising pain. He said he felt like he had razor blades in his eyes for days and he couldnt open them properly for a week. The first 3 days he couldnt open them at all, and he was suffering so bad. My dad didnt have any pain or symptoms at all.

Its been about two weeks now, and my brothers eyes are worse then before. He went for laser to be able to see better, now he struggles to see what he used to see

I am hoping to get this done later this year also. My optometrist keeps telling me he won't let me get it done till I am 25. It’s always interesting to hear about other people’s experiences. From the people I have talked to it seems to effect people who wear contact lenses alot less, maybe because there used to that feeling of having something in their eye?

Ferah - What have medownick said about your brother, has he been back to see them since?