SAU Community

V35 Replacement Bulb

Hey Guys

One of my headlight (standard xenon) just blew last night. I've already looked up on how to change it, but i need to know what sort of replacement bulb i should buy.

Can it be bought from repco/supercheap auto, or is it something i'm going to have to spend a fortune on? :yes:

Cheers

Doddy

if it's the D2R or either the D2S bulb you mean, they are expensive, expect above $100 in stores EACH side.

They are meant to last a lifetime of the vehicle or at least a very very long time compared to std halogens.

you can find them on ebay for cheaper price and you may wanna consider buying a spare because if one side fails it'll be likely the other side on its way out too, and with all the hassle in getting to the bulbs, it pays to do both side at the same time.

I think I picked up mine for about $90 a pair from ebay.

oh and on ebay you can find all sorts of colour temp rating, 6000k above gives you white to blueish tint

i would recommned NOT getting anything above 6000k as i've driven with blue-ish looking headlihgts bulbs before during my younger 'rice' age in the past and after an hour or two driving it is really tiring for the eye. anything above 8000K and the light output start to suffer due to the colour hue start to shift towards purple.

now you start to understand why all good and proper driving sunglasses are tinted either grey or brown, not tinted blue! we're human with human eye, not Vulcan or Klingons.

mine is 4500k the standard oem 'white' with maximum light output, sometimes you can find 5000 or 5500K, but easier to get 6000K these days they're more common and the light output is still not too bad compared to 4500K or 5000K.

Hang on a minute, i forgot to ask

The bulb that died is the low beam, so would that make it a D2S or a D2R?

Oh and all the links you guys gave pointed to HID ones. I don't really understand the difference between HID and Xenons. Can someone enlighten me? :D

Oh and all the links you guys gave pointed to HID ones. I don't really understand the difference between HID and Xenons. Can someone enlighten me? :ermm:

If you have 2003 head light, it will be D2R

If you have 2006+ projector it will be D2S.

On cars HID=XEON. May different for other area which I don't know.

Frank

Oh and all the links you guys gave pointed to HID ones. I don't really understand the difference between HID and Xenons. Can someone enlighten me? :happy:

Automotive HID lamps are commonly called "xenon headlamps", though they are actually metal halide lamps that contain xenon gas

to access the globe you need to either :

a) remove the wheel guard shroud

or

b) remove the whole front bumper

As above, then at the back of the headlight, top one for low beam, there is a big round plastic circle lid thingy, that you just turn anti clockwise to open. Then turn the ignitor plug to remove (it is attached to the back of the globe) then remove the spring wires that hold the bulb in place, they are like two metal wires that are spring loaded. Should make sense when you are in there. Then pull bulb out.

to access the globe you need to either :

a) remove the wheel guard shroud

or

b) remove the whole front bumper

I think i'd rather remove the front bumper since i think the wheel guard method involves jacking up the car and taking off the wheel for easier access.

Thanks for the feedbacks

May pay to go down to your local mechanic,

get them to stick it on a hoist and try from there. Taking off the front bumper and then refitting it perfectly is DEFINITELY not an easy task.

May pay to go down to your local mechanic,

get them to stick it on a hoist and try from there. Taking off the front bumper and then refitting it perfectly is DEFINITELY not an easy task.

Try this place in the US for lights and globes - they are awesome to deal with and have excellent products and much cheaper than here:

http://store.iJDMTOY.com/

Try this place in the US for lights and globes - they are awesome to deal with and have excellent products and much cheaper than here:

http://store.iJDMTOY.com/

Oh and I forgot to mention DON"T remove the front bar - you will not get it back on correctly. Take the front wheels off and only remove the front guard protector - there is no need to remove the back one. Also there is no need to undo the screws at the bottom of the front one as you can get access to the lights by just pushing it aside. The only screw on the back protector you need to remove is the one at the top of the guard nearest the front protector. It is quite easy to do once you have done it - good luck!

Oh and I forgot to mention DON"T remove the front bar - you will not get it back on correctly. Take the front wheels off and only remove the front guard protector - there is no need to remove the back one. Also there is no need to undo the screws at the bottom of the front one as you can get access to the lights by just pushing it aside. The only screw on the back protector you need to remove is the one at the top of the guard nearest the front protector. It is quite easy to do once you have done it - good luck!

Gee thanks for the warning. Glad i haven't done it yet.

And thanks for the link. I think i'll give it a go.