SAU Community

How To Program A Nissan Remote/key For Your Stagea

Spong

Like many here, I only received a single factory remote/key with my both my WGC34 and M35 Stagea, and my A32 Cefiro for that matter. I was fortunate in that I have a friend in Japan who was able to source cheap spare remotes for all 3x cars for me, the first was back in 2000. His Japanese wife translated the programming instructions, which differed to all the other Nissan programming I'd seen on the net. It seems the instructions I'd seen were for USA and UK cars. The pdf here is what worked for me, with all three JDM cars. This won't help if your car has an immobiliser, which none of mine did. As I understand it, if your car starts from a standard key, then you don't have an immobiliser built into your remote. I got a key cut, then cut it down to fit into the standard M35 remote in place of the original.

Nissan_JDM_car_remote_programming.pdf

So where can you buy programmable keys if you don't have a friend in Japan?

A Nissan dealer should be able to help, but you'd better lube up and bend over first. You could try a wrecker. There's one on Trademe wrecking several M35's right now. My friend in Japan maybe able to get some more as he has connections with some wreckers there. Price was around NZ$50 approx, so a lot better than the $350+ I've heard through Nissan. Not all Nissan remotes use the same frequency or coding, so it pays to keep to the same model.

where would you buy a blank from?

arent they chipped being the other part?

You should be able to put a blank into the plastic key surround, not sure where you could get a blank key from, possibly Nissan or maybe Mr Minit has a substitute that meets the right criteria and can cut one to your existing key.

There is no transponder in the key/plastic surround if that is what you are asking, it's just a plain key.

Fortunately I got two sets of keys with mine, so I don't need to have a spare made up at this point in time.

Further to this I found this thread

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Cu...ys-t304424.html

Now, I don't know if the Stagea is different but it may be worth checking with your local Nissan dealership that handles imports and see if they can cut a key for you. They may be able to use the number from the key to create a perfect replica as apposed to someone cutting a dodgy copy as per the results in that thread.

What ever you end up doing if you do it, post up the results so if anyone else needs to do it they know where to start.

You should be able to put a blank into the plastic key surround, not sure where you could get a blank key from, possibly Nissan or maybe Mr Minit has a substitute that meets the right criteria and can cut one to your existing key.

There is no transponder in the key/plastic surround if that is what you are asking, it's just a plain key.

Fortunately I got two sets of keys with mine, so I don't need to have a spare made up at this point in time.

Unfortunately for the M35 key, the metal key shaft is moulded into one half of the plastic assembly. Unless you can get a spare blank with the plastic "half key" you'll need to break the old key out of the plastic assembly. In my case, I got a key cut from my original, onto a generic blank by a local locksmith with lots of modern car key experience. His keys fit beautifully. I then cut and ground the "handle" end of the key down to match the shape of the one I'd taken from the plastic assy. You can then araldite the two broken parts of the assy back together, with your new key inside. This is hidden away inside the assy. You'll need to drill a small hole in the new key for the screw, and then reassemble it together. The final result should be strong, and look and work just like a bought one. As long as you don't reassemble the 2x halves of the remote before the glue's properly set, you should be able to disassemble it in future for battery replacements.

Edited by Spong

i wonder if something like this would work?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Flip-Folding-Key-Re...=item1e5874627b

mine like all of you is only a 2 button, but the guts of the new key could fit inside this mechanism, and then just have the metal part cut to your mould.

anyone done this?

I don't think it will fit. I made the mistake of buying a UK Nissan key/remote, and although it looks similar to ours, the internals are completely different. The buttons are bigger and nothing lines up. I suspect the G35 remote is somewhat similar to the one I bought. Good idea though, as a folding key would be great.

• 2 weeks later...
did this today.

got my key from japan and already programed it to the car, was very easy.

going to get a key cut tomorrow.

pics and a breakdown of all costs when completed please :D for future reference, this information always comes in handy!

My key was around $200 new from Nissan (Northside here in Perth) and cost a carton to program- but now we don't need to do that!

The a$$ rapi$t at the key shop charged me $30 to cut the key! Wouldn't have paid that if I knew it was going to cost that much- I'm sure Mr Minute or similar would be cheaper.

So all up around $300. Lucky I did it as the battery in the original key gave out the day after! (still haven't got the replacement...)

• 1 month later...

di this the otherday as mine only came with one key... i asked the dealer for another spare off a different car and he pulls out a box of them and gives me one.. >_< its useless to you he says, i just said maybe maybe not!!!

It programed fine after getting a new battery,

best bit about it was my mate whis a locksmith looked at the key and because all the ridges were higher then my original he able to just cut it down a little and it worked, now i have 2 factory keys,

so if anyone does have a choice when grabbing a spare look to see if its the same key shape and if the ridges are all higher it shoud be able to be cut again to yours....

P.S dont let dealers in on this coz they will wont to start selling keys at a much higher price.. :D;)

I bought this the other day to fix my lock button once and for all.

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/138460365

50 bucks its cost to get to my door will be programming it shortly.

there are a few on there and i was going to do similar to above and just get a key that looked like it could be cut down.. but a brand new button part was a better idea.