SAU Community

Gtr Blows Smoke On Boost

NISSAN GTR

My mate Ben needs advice ,his GTR is in near original condition 52,000kms

It blows heaps of smoke on boost for the first two times after warm up then completely stops smoking , it blows smoke again after cruising around slowly for a while.

i was thinking it may be unburnt fuel built up in the exhaust ? He has had new turbos installed , HKS exhaust and recent tune to get rid of the ceramics , any ideas why the smokey shit .

Black smoke is fuel and to be runing a bit rich is a good safety factor to have.

Like you have suggested after idling or crusing there can be a build up in the exhaust that is then cleared when it comes on boost.

It should be consistent, ie always black when you're on boost at normal temperature, or never. Is the power always the same? If its intermittent there may be a intermittently faulty sensor - might be worth plugging consult in for diagnostic check. Do you know what AFR the tuner targeted? Got a dyno graph with AFR?

It should be consistent, ie always black when you're on boost at normal temperature, or never. Is the power always the same? If its intermittent there may be a intermittently faulty sensor - might be worth plugging consult in for diagnostic check. Do you know what AFR the tuner targeted? Got a dyno graph with AFR?

My mate reckons its always had the same power since he got the new turbs 6 months ago ,

i agree with him on this , but we think the smoke issue is getting worse ,

i have been with Ben when he has boosted after cruising, at night you cant see shit in the rear vision mirror afterwards . We may need a new diagnostic check , sounds like a good idea :blink:

o2 sensors faulty? fuel build up during warm up or cruise

but of WOT warms everything up and it burns off cleaner

that or the coolant temp sensor

or o2 feedback disabled if its running a power fc

black smoke = blown oil seals in the turbo's

What? Wouldn't a blown seal cause oil to seep into the intake causing blue burning smoke?

Every single car I have ever seen or been in blows smoke when boost comes on and the car is booted. What, does everyone have a faulty turbo? My mate has a evo9, it does it. My mate has a wrx, it does it. Ive seen a fair few R33's do it and moreso on R34's.

What happens when you come on boost? YOU BURN PETROL. What happens when you burn petrol, you get black smoke.

Check the tune. Put it on rollers and check the AFR when boost comes. Does he have excess smoke residue on the rear bumper?

What? Wouldn't a blown seal cause oil to seep into the intake causing blue burning smoke?

Every single car I have ever seen or been in blows smoke when boost comes on and the car is booted. What, does everyone have a faulty turbo? My mate has a evo9, it does it. My mate has a wrx, it does it. Ive seen a fair few R33's do it and moreso on R34's.

What happens when you come on boost? YOU BURN PETROL. What happens when you burn petrol, you get black smoke.

Check the tune. Put it on rollers and check the AFR when boost comes. Does he have excess smoke residue on the rear bumper?

Yeah actually there is a fair bit of residue around the rear bumper , we definately know its not the turbo seals = new turbs !

Only one thing you need to do about this dilemma.

Polish the stuff off the rear bar before the next SnS.

Maybe a 2nd.

Running rich can shorten the life of the Cat a little bit.

black smoke = blown oil seals in the turbo's

Blown turbo seals, = White Smoke, or bluey/grey smoke.

If its puffing a Black Mist of smoke as it rolls onto boost, its just fuel mate, dont even worrie about it. If its any colour than black than start looking for probs

Yeh mine does that as i come off a gear in boost {{{Puffff}}},, they say its the nature of the beast!!... BUT i think mines running alittle too rich 330km a tank doesnt seem rightt, thats around 4 launches and around 7 boots as in 7 times i have pput the foot down but for like 10-15 secs at a time!! i used to do around 400-430km full tank. but thats only giving it a couple times maybe a couple boots. But 100km just for a few extra foot downs???? is that right? Evry time i take it to this tuner and he plays around or adjust soemthing and something elsee annoys me like now on warm crank theres not enough fuel as sometimes when i start it hesitates for 5 secs to get to a stable 1000rpm idle

Edited by GTRAAH