SAU Community

Missfire Boost@4500-5500 RPM - The Answer! (for me at least!)

Nightman

• 7 months later...

Taping trick worked perfectly for me!

After finally finding the factory hose with restrictor in it for 7psi, once the car was hitting 7psi, was having massive amounts of missfire which wasn't there under lower boost. Pulled the coils out, clear arcing signs on the side of the coil (no cracks though). Gave them a tape up, and now it happily pulls right through!

Hopefully it lasts!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Had a thought today, instead of taping the coils up has anyone tried plastidipping them?

I think they originally designed it as a insulation coating for tools, and it seems pretty heat resistant so I'm sure it would work

It seems the tape doesn't stick well over time, and the ability to layer up the plastidip to get a thick coating means it should be pretty durable?

• 4 months later...

Don't forget you can always use heat shrink down the "shaft" to the plug,

and/OR make up a set of Acetal coil plates - can't give this mod enough praise!!

I had a problem with misfiring but ONLY under full boost, 24psi, (12psi was fine)

turned out my coil packs were shorting to earth so I made up some Acetal

mounting plates and the miss is GONE, car has never run smoother!!

I got the idea from an overseas forum where this fix was solving heaps of problems for people.

I was actually thinking of making some more up If people might be interested in purchasing them?

IMG_3698e.jpg

Edited by 85URE
  • Like 1

Guess that depends on each persons situation, both financially and physically.

Every coil pack breaks down over time, at this point in time my problem was the coil packs earthing out,

By installing the plates, at a quarter of the cost vs new packs, it did remove my problem.

also allowing better cooling for the packs as the alloy brackets transfer more heat that is responsible for destroying them.

• 2 years later...

Wher is it that you guys tape up? I recently got new coils but stil habe this problem, have tried everything that i can think of and have found online abut the peoblem exept silicon/taping the cpims (because they are brand new) 

• Like 1