SAU Community

Missfire Boost@4500-5500 RPM - The Answer! (for me at least!)

Nightman

Yup most of these things will get you by for afew days/weeks until you get some decent heat into it again and then it's just time to order the Splitfires :P

hey ben, i have noticed that you have mentioned a 10rwkw gain on your car from just the spitfires, its a bit hard for me to believe, so could you please explain the circumstances

ie. if there was a dyno run directly before and after u fitted them on the same dyno or whatever..??

(i just expect my car to run properly again when i put mine in!)

Hey mate, relax with the CAPS :)

i taped plastic pieces between the coils and the frame as a last resort, this lessened the misfiring, but as the car got hotter it was pretty much the same as before, and oh yeah, the plastic started melting  :rofl:  

that was my last resort, so yesterday i just ordered a set of spitfires. ($$)

Sorry it didn't work out for you, it does get hot in there.... so far my plastic hasn't melted at all, but the amalgamated tape has deteriorated a bit, but still covering the coils pretty much. Thecar has done 500kms since in various temps, and so far good, no misfire at all.

I think that the method described in this thread is an excellent fix for the relative cost (<$1), but at the end of the day, splitfires are the go.

Do you mind me asking what you paid for your coils?

Or if anybody reads this, where is the cheapest? for new blue splitfires?

The best i've found is $900.

all i got to say is CHAMPION i have spent almost a year trying to track down this interrmittent miss bought a set of coils from SSS and spent hours changing one at a time trying to find the one that was stuffed Got home last night spent half hour taping all 6 coils and then went for a test run and beautiful no more miss also this morning sweet as to work so Thanks for helping with my ongoing headache

Sorry it didn't work out for you, it does get hot in there.... so far my plastic hasn't melted at all, but the amalgamated tape has deteriorated a bit, but still covering the coils pretty much. Thecar has done 500kms since in various temps, and so far good, no misfire at all.

I think that the method described in this thread is an excellent fix for the relative cost (<$1), but at the end of the day, splitfires are the go.

Do you mind me asking what you paid for your coils?

Or if anybody reads this, where is the cheapest? for new blue splitfires?

The best i've found is $900.

Hey,

i paid 635 delivered from sau trader newkon.biz..

but i believe he has updated the thread with info that he has no more stock, so i guess you could ask him when he is getting more, he gets them from japan direct not from the aus distributor, which is why they are cheap.

the cheapest i have seen locally is around 900 as well.

i have had the spitfires in for a week now, they work fine, back to full power and maybe a little more :P

Its good to see your fix is still holding up! i guess mine had gone too far already, and it was not one, but three of them that were stuffed!

having a very similar problem, tried tape, lessened the problem but not fixed..... Ordered coils from nengun, they were $560 (delivered to queensland) on special. (they arent a great deal more off special) very good service from these guys........

just a thought, something that might be a more perminate fix could be glued heat shrink

tho im not sure were you would get it from and how long it would last.

i am going to try and get some from work and ill let you know how it goes.

by the way thanks for the tip with the tape... so far so good. *touches wood*

just a thought, something that might be a more perminate fix could be glued heat shrink

tho im not sure were you would get it from and how long it would last.

i am going to try and get some from work and ill let you know how it goes.

by the way thanks for the tip with the tape... so far so good. *touches wood*

Here is a more permanant fix:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...ead.php?t=51046

I did this over 9 months ago and haven't had to touch them again....

If you do it properly it is a permanent fix....

Alternatively you can do like i have and that is fit 6 Bosch coils (MEC717)and run leads

Changing plugs is a piece of cake now. and you can use the standard ignitor

This is working on a Series 1 RB25 so external ignitor not sure about series 2 with the built in ignitor

What did that cost if you don't mind me asking....

I was exploring this alternative ages ago, but found it expensive at the time, so I was going to go for the splitfire replacements.... before I gued them...

Anyhow, if it is a cheaper alternative to splitfires, then it may be the go for many others...

Complete price for 6 coils and leads was $300.00 as to labour cost my mate is a Auto Electrician so it did not cost me anything for fitting and wiring

But as a Example a Workshop wanted $600. to supply and fit a set of VN commodore coils.

Hi guys

I have had this prob for some time as well . just went into jaycars and bought "starbrite liquid electrical tape " it says its got a service range of -30 degrees to +255

let u know what happens

Hi Guys,

I just taped up my coils with electrical PVC tape and that seems to have cleared most of the misfiring ie, runs pretty decently.

However, I notice that when I'm crusing in 4th gear and then decide to give it some, the engines sometimes cuts off and then all of sudden goes good. If I were to slow down and then accelerate immediately after this happens, it doesnt cut off anymore.. Could be that I have missed a coil?

Any help would be great... and lastly please let us know how that liquid electrical thing goes..

thanks

steve

seems to work ok you have to rally coat after coat to build it up in the "danger" areas along the sides. I dont think its the answer. this week im going to fit a set of vs-vr coils .anyone using the vn ones (they are square as apposed to the vs-vr ones that are round) should realise most holden guys swap to the later ones cos the early ones are so much trouble

we will have to see how it goes. the coils are around $150 from the wrekers.

and if you are aseries two you need an igniter (the little heatsinked aluminium box that sits at the back of the rocker cover) as im series one its easier just pull the wiring that usually goes to the coils join them in three lots of twon ( the right ones that is) and a few connecters

if it works well its got to be the best answeras the coils are out in the airflow then. and if you are worried they wont perform as well you can always spend 3x $108 for motec ones for holden 3.8's at autobarn