SAU Community

2 Way Diff

niran

Hey every one

Just wanted a bit of input.. im thinking of buying a cusco 2 way diff for my car, i use my car as a daily to go to uni but at the same time do a fair bit of AHG/RAC track days.. Im also looking into attending some Barbagallo events from next year.

Ive read on the forums a bit and found out that the Nismo 2way is the smoothest and quietest, followed by the cusco, which is followed then by the Kaaz 2 way..

I wanted to know if any one on here uses a 2way in a daily driven car, also what they think of the Cusco 2ways compared to all the other diffs out there? and finally am i going to have a lot of issues/problems by installing a diff like this on an every day car?

cheers guys, Ni

I have one.

I use my car as a daily. You get a few odd looks and your neighbours think your ripping a skid when your turning around etc, but other than that its fine.

Cant help in regards to branding as im not 100% what mine is. (came out of a car imported from japan that hadnt been to compliance yet)

if you do some research into costs, post up here or pm me, because my a-lsd is looser than greg's fanny :P

not sure if i'd go a 2-way or not but i don't drive my car much anymore

I have one.

I use my car as a daily. You get a few odd looks and your neighbours think your ripping a skid when your turning around etc, but other than that its fine.

Cant help in regards to branding as im not 100% what mine is. (came out of a car imported from japan that hadnt been to compliance yet)

hey man!

how have you been?

Thanks for the info, is it a pain when it comes to parking in a shopping centre or something?

Cheers, ni

get a 1 or 1.5 way, there is plenty of info on the net about how they work. 2 way = drift diff,

drift diff not the best for the street.

Hey dude

Yep i read up a few docs the reason i posted it was because some people say the 2way isn’t as bad as people think they are and that if you know how to drive with that diff correctly its not too much of an issue

cheers

not really. clutch in and your fine.

skips a bit if your driving into the spot. if you really want you can give my 32 a drive around to see what its like. PM me if you want.

Hey Greg

Oh awesome thanks alot for the help. All good bro i know how much your skyline means to you, i wouldnt want to take it for a drive and then loose control or anything :P

Cheers, ni

ive driven both a kaaz 1.5 (my car) and also the 2 way and found the 1.5 gives a verry similar performance on track with more comfort on the road

but my sugestion is drive as many as you can a make a decision based on that cause YOU will be doing the driving

oh and your welcome to take cherrired for a thrash once i replace the shifter

I can vouch for Nismo 2 way. Is quiet, but it's definately no daily driver.

Hard locks up on uneven ground or sudden turning, will lock up in any case (a bit sifter, but occasionally locks up hard) on accel, decel, any kind of turning, and parking.

Not too bad on the streets, reversing up my driveway is still a little tricky.

Also stupidly difficult to control at low speeds in the wet if you're actually trying to keep some traction.

ive driven both a kaaz 1.5 (my car) and also the 2 way and found the 1.5 gives a verry similar performance on track with more comfort on the road

but my sugestion is drive as many as you can a make a decision based on that cause YOU will be doing the driving

oh and your welcome to take cherrired for a thrash once i replace the shifter

Hey man, i would like to buy a 1.5 way however ive found a 2way cusco diff that is going for a good price.. that’s one reason for me asking

and at the same time my standard diff is on its way out.. it hums really loud and clunks here and there :) .

Thanks for offering to let me drive your car everyone on sky aus is great.. got to love this forum and the people in it :miner:, however i'l try it out on mine and see how it goes as I would be over concerned if I drove another person's skyline .

Cheers

I can vouch for Nismo 2 way. Is quiet, but it's definately no daily driver.

Hard locks up on uneven ground or sudden turning, will lock up in any case (a bit sifter, but occasionally locks up hard) on accel, decel, any kind of turning, and parking.

Not too bad on the streets, reversing up my driveway is still a little tricky.

Also stupidly difficult to control at low speeds in the wet if you're actually trying to keep some traction.

Hmmm is it really hard to get a grasp of i don’t mind the traction loss here and there, however will it break traction even if i just make a simple right turn? also if i clutch in around the corner would this de activate the diff or as its a 2 way would it always be locking no matter what?

thanks, ni

Edited by niran

you will have zero issue with a nismo 2way lsd on the street if you run it in correctly and change the oil (nismo state every 3,000km)

Comparing my nismo 2way to my mates kaaz 2way, my nismo was alot more street friendly and was alot more quicker.

I have a NISMO GT LSD for sale in 2weeks done less than 2,000km (Running Motul completition oil 17W140, the oil nismo recommends), comes in housing with side shafts (everything less than 2000km old bears, shafts etc) $1250 come out of r33 gts-t so suits 5 bolt flange r200 diffs.

also got 2L of nismo completition dif oil 75W140 aka nismo motul if you need it.

Also my dad has driven my car more than me in the last 2,000km and he had no issue with losing traction or anything else when driving the car. same goes for me.

And 2way is not for drift only....

Edited by Kaido_RR

you will have zero issue with a nismo 2way lsd on the street if you run it in correctly and change the oil (nismo state every 3,000km)

Comparing my nismo 2way to my mates kaaz 2way, my nismo was alot more street friendly and was alot more quicker.

I have a NISMO GT LSD for sale in 2weeks done less than 2,000km (Running Motul completition oil 17W140, the oil nismo recommends), comes in housing with side shafts (everything less than 2000km old bears, shafts etc) $1250 come out of r33 gts-t so suits 5 bolt flange r200 diffs.

also got 2L of nismo completition dif oil 75W140 aka nismo motul if you need it.

Also my dad has driven my car more than me in the last 2,000km and he had no issue with losing traction or anything else when driving the car. same goes for me.

And 2way is not for drift only....

Hey man

I will stick to the Cusco 2way, however how much do you want for the 2L of nismo/motul completition dif oil 75W140 ? and would this be suited for a cusco 2 way.. or is it the wrong oil for this type of diff.. cheers

ni

I love my 2-way.

My diff guy is Rob at Australian Differential & Transmission Services on Collingwood St Osborne Park, I think his number is 0419 422 246.

Hey dude

Yep i read up a few docs the reason i posted it was because some people say the 2way isn’t as bad as people think they are and that if you know how to drive with that diff correctly its not too much of an issue

cheers

thanks champ, i better learn how to drive my car, its only had the 2 way mech diff installed for 5yrs.

I'm speaking from experience, i would get a 1.5 way if i was to do it again.

1.5 is best for street , both my cars run them

thanks champ, i better learn how to drive my car, its only had the 2 way mech diff installed for 5yrs.

LOL Why would you need a 1.5 to reverse back to letterbox and go forward again ? :thumbsup:

sorry if i offended you didn't mean it in that way, i'll try out the 2way diff myself and see how it goes from there

thanks, ni

Edited by niran

2way diff in my car

like was said earlier can be abit of a pain at slow speeds in the wet, especially the first rains after dry spell. concrete driveways and such are noisy when turning ie service stations, if you have those nice agrigate driveways ppl get abit anoyed with the marks. also if the popo hear it they can be abit harsh.

My diff guy is Rob at Australian Differential & Transmission Services on Collingwood St Osborne Park, I think his number is 0419 422 246.

Thanks bubba.

Niran

The cusco RS is more friendly than the track oriented MZ.

I had the same issue when choosing my diff so I bought an ATS 2-way carbon diff. Just have to get it fitted now.

Edited by tomcio