SAU Community

Wolf 3d or apexi power fc

snake

Having trouble deciding which one to go with so it has come down to this. Is there anyone else who can tune the wolf 3d other than mildrens, someone who may be more skyline orientated. If there is i may go with the wolf however if there is not.....where is the best place in Adelaide to get a used apexi power fc + hand controller + boost controller. I know that there is a number of tuners who are capable with the power fc on a skyline. Any comments appreciated.

Two Places....

My first choice is Tim @ RPM. He knows what he is doing, tunes safe and has always had no problems getting a R33 making 250rwkw without cracking ring lands for many thousands of kays. If your a regular on the forums you will see the problems people have had with the RB25DET's when up over 250rwkw.

Tim sometimes isn't in Adelaide as he tunes overseas (USA & some where in Asia).

Second is Tilbrooks.

Tim likes the Microtech's but also knows the PowerFC's like the back of his hand.

I have heard not to bother with a Power FC EBC if you go that path - apparently they are expensive POS's. Better to go a Greddy ProfecA or B.

The Power FC is certainly the weapon of choice IMHO. And I recommend Tilbrooks very highly!!!

Thanks guys, yeah i do think that the power fc boost controller is a little on the expensive side, also considered that another type of boost controller maybe just as good if not better for the money.

I have heard not to bother with a Power FC EBC if you go that path - apparently they are expensive POS's. Better to go a Greddy ProfecA or B.

What is wrong with them? Have you used one? I have absolutely no probs with mine, works like a charm. Same solenoid as the AVCR.

Definately a stand alone EBC will give you more features though.

No I've never used one Steve - I was just told that by a couple of different people. Not so much that they don't do a good job, but that other brands are cheaper and have better features. No offense meant mate :(

None taken:) I thought that perhaps someone has got a bodgey one, or didnt know how to set it up properly, or I just got lucky, but then again, I am not the only one that is happy with it.

Like I said before, if you just want to set and forget (memory is not battery volatile, so you can disconnect it as long as you like without upsetting it) the power fc boost control function is good. Most people I know just set the boost where they want it and leave it.

You are right about the features though. If I was after an standalone, I think I would be leaning toward the Profec or Blitz

Id say i would rather go the power fc in comparison to the wolf. In my opinion i would only got for say haltech/autronic/motec over the FC. I would look at getting it tuned at say tillbrookes, john keen (tuned my car to 244 rwkw standard sr internals, pulled motor down and is still mint condition) or maby even morepower.

I was curious with regards to Autotronic so I spoke to John Keen, He wanted around 5500 installed and tuned, I said the price was a little rediculious compared to the PowerFC and for what I'm going to use the car for.

I then asked about tuning a PowerFC, He wanted $600 and said they basically are POS with their little hand controller that is difficult to tune with. (Just after Steve had his done) We all know PowerFC's arn't POS.

Steve what features does the PowerFC EBC have?

Can you have different boost levels at different rpms?

No, its just a case of dial up the boost you want, you need to set the duty cycle, and then the computer does the rest. You get 4 different boost settings on the controller, but you can change any of them whenever you want.

All in all, if you want minimum fuss, a good setup.

I was curious with regards to Autotronic so I spoke to John Keen, He wanted around 5500 installed and tuned, I said the price was a little rediculious compared to the PowerFC and for what I'm going to use the car for.

I then asked about tuning a PowerFC, He wanted $600 and said they basically are POS with their little hand controller that is difficult to tune with. (Just after Steve had his done) We all know PowerFC's arn't POS.

Steve what features does the PowerFC EBC have?

Can you have different boost levels at different rpms?

$5500 ???

What are you getting , an SM2 with every option ??

Cheers

Ken

$5500 ???

What are you getting , an SM2 with every option ??

Cheers

Ken

Not sure.. I told him I'm using the car for the street & it would be a RB30DET running the RB20t sensors/injectors(types) etc.

He said that was fully installed as it isn't a plug and play like the PowerFC & required wiring mods. Probably taking me for a ride.

Tuning he said costs around $800-1k depending.

The only negative I can think of with the PFC is injector impedance limitations, correct me if I'm wrong? Straight fit Jap side feed injectors (that snake will require if he goes to that level) are very expensive & usually require collars to complete the install, so the final cost adds up. Mind you if you get lucky with customs, or find some 2nd hand, I'm sure they can be bought for reasonable prices.

Other than the above issue (if I've got it right?) I'd say the PFC is a very solid choice of ECU. Having said that I couldn't be happier with my LT12 :D

Whatsisname, i have read about your experiences with your lt12 and was really tempted, the only thing that bothered me is that it is does not have closed loop, how is your fuel usage?

Also what did tim at rpm charge you to tune it? does it have good drivability?

I dont suppose anyone has had their car tuned at mildren race engineering? the local wolf dealer/tuner here. Just wanted to know if their capable of doing any tuning on a skyline regardless of ecu. I have a map from steve sst in WA to suit a wolf equipped r33 with similar mods to mine, i would assume that they could "trim the edges" of this map to suit my car but the end result will all come down to how good the tuner is and this is why im asking first. Any comments or should i just go the power fc or microtech route because i know the tuners in Adelaide are capable with these two?

Can't help you on the MRE question mate, as I (or anyone I know) have never had any dealings with them. If the tuner isn't familiar with the model of car then I would be hesitant, but I'd be even more hesitant if they were unfamiliar with the ECU.

Re LT12, yep no closed loop. The new LT16 has closed loop AFAIK. Joel may have more info on the LT16?

My economy is quite reasonable for no CL & 550cc injectors. I did 260k yesterday. I checked the fuel gauge before leaving & it was dead on the 3/4 mark. 260k later it's just above the 1/4 mark. My driving was faaar from economical :)

I really couldn't give you a price on tuning as it was over a few sessions & mixed in with many other mod's, sorry mate :D A very rough ball park guess of $500?