SAU Community

The Cool Tools Thread

Duncan

I disagree. Repco home brand 'mechpro' is terrible. Broke 3 ratchets within a year. Struggled to get replacements as they didn't believe that I broke 3 by just doing normal weekend car and home things.

The best tools I have had have been second hand old 80's gear. Even the no names are still kicking on.

This is the time to pick up second hand Blue Point off Gum Tree whilst a few apprentices have decided to call it a day.

A few spanners may have been tossed but at least they're not worn or tired - near new.

I can't believe the price of some of the toolboxes out there.

7k for the box alone and that's for the cheap ones.

No thanks mr snap on.

snap on are the only box manufacturers that I know of that offer life time warranty on the box construction (welds).

Yes there are cheaper, but snap on usually have the best turn around for warranty I've found.

This is the time to pick up second hand Blue Point off Gum Tree whilst a few apprentices have decided to call it a day.

A few spanners may have been tossed but at least they're not worn or tired - near new.

Is that true or did you make it up?

2 yrs ago I picked up a Blue Point tool chest with lots of Blue Point tools and Snap On panelbeating tools as well. The apprentice's Dad did the transaction.

The month was December and the price was $700.

The panelbeating tools were given to Maurice (aka senior) at JLM

I find that repco tools are OK. A little higher quality than Stanley and still reasonable priced.

Update on the rivnuts. Got to use it for the first time with some m4 nuts. Worked great. Took more time to drill the holes than install the rivnut. And it really looks professional.

Dude I love using rivnuts - I find damn excuses to use the god damn things! #satisfaction

• Like 1

Christmas is the best time of year for cool tools

If you had to buy a good price/quality toolset, which one would you get ?

I bought kinchrome stuff for weekend use vs price, obviously there is better stuff if you are on the tools every day, but I've not broken anything yet. they have 2 lines of ratchets though, the basic ones are a bit crap but the nice ones are great.

It does.

You can also easily install rivnuts with a hole drilled in a flat bar.

Oh I can accept it can be done....but not really "easy" right? I've been using the manual tool from earlier in thread and while it works, and in very small places, it is hard work.

Finally bought an electric rattle gun. No idea how I ever coped without one.

yep, they are totally f**king awesome. even in the garage I almost never use air I just grab the electric one instead.

I disagree. Repco home brand 'mechpro' is terrible. Broke 3 ratchets within a year. Struggled to get replacements as they didn't believe that I broke 3 by just doing normal weekend car and home things.

The best tools I have had have been second hand old 80's gear. Even the no names are still kicking on

Mechpro is like the bargain basement no warranty label of the Repco brand. If you buy the Repco branded tools you have lifetime warranty and I've never had a problem swapping a tool over the counter.

Not my Christmas present...

BBQ-1_zpsdykoxmhr.jpg

Someone else's

Terry-55_zpslnh7vwtx.jpg

I'm just tha 'Transporter'

Thanks to Daleo for the loan of the trailer. :)

Hahahaha!

Always welcome Terry; it's there any time. ;)

• Like 1