SAU Community

The Cool Tools Thread

Duncan

Man thats one big torque wrench,,,1" drive and maxs out at 1340nm!!!. I thought my 3/4 one was big but thats serious stuff.

I need mine to do up these centre lock nuts on my race car,,,they are 78mm hex,,,same as Lemans LMP1 and 2 cars.

post-29-1277477417_thumb.jpg

post-29-1277477432_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Neil.

This really isn't a tool as such,,,but I got sick to death of cable ties in open plastic bags floating around and ending up all over the place.

I made it out of an old industrial ashtray and cut up lengths of plastic guttering down pipe. Riveted it all together,,,cut a handle in the tallest ones side and presto a cable tie organizer.

post-29-1277479307_thumb.jpg

Yes I'm anal.

Neil.

This really isn't a tool as such,,,but I got sick to death of cable ties in open plastic bags floating around and ending up all over the place.

I made it out of an old industrial ashtray and cut up lengths of plastic guttering down pipe. Riveted it all together,,,cut a handle in the tallest ones side and presto a cable tie organizer.

post-29-1277479307_thumb.jpg

Yes I'm anal.

Neil.

Awesome!!!

the cable tie holder rocks!

rob, those warren and brown torque wrenches are great, I've had one for years. Anyone who is looking for a decent torque wench should look at those instead of the dodgy spring loaded ones.

not able to be used by Neil though because one side of the car has left hand thread, and the W&B style can only measure torque in 1 direction

chuckie...the spark plug gapper looks good too, I have seen similar before as a small disc with different sized gaps around the edge. How do they go for wear over time?

Everyone here needs to buy one of these,,,no exceptions. We all spend an absolute ton of money on tyres and having the correct pressures not only will extend the life of them but you will get the most out of them.

Highly recommended!!!.

Prices rang from $60 bucks to $200. They come in digital or analog,,,me personally I like the one I bought,,,very accurate and has the bonus of a release button on the side so you can easily lower the pressures with a touch of the button. I should have taken a better picture as it doesn't show the button (my Bad). Also you need to look after it,,,hence the plastic container.

post-29-1277531249_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Neil.

post-9783-1277630423_thumb.jpg ... Rotary Ear Hair & Nose Trimmer ...

... especially for the discerning gent or lady struggling within the social confines of over producing ear & nasal follicles ... complete with handy clean up brush & blade protector ... nice ... :blush: ...

post-29-1276846932_thumb.jpg

Spent 2hrs yesterday trying to get the front wheel nuts off my truck so I could fit some new brake pads, not even myself and 2 neighbours hanging off a long bit of pipe could crack the damn nuts. Seen these on eBay for around $400ish think I may need to invest (or just not use that mechanic ever again!!!)

Spent 2hrs yesterday trying to get the front wheel nuts off my truck so I could fit some new brake pads, not even myself and 2 neighbours hanging off a long bit of pipe could crack the damn nuts. Seen these on eBay for around $400ish think I may need to invest (or just not use that mechanic ever again!!!)

I think you need one of these:

BIG STICK PRE-SET TRUCK TORQUE WRENCH

Big%20Stick%20with%20bag.jpg

I think there is one that 'breaks' into two pieces for storage.

Massive 1.4m length for high torque requirements

Preset torque for "no hassle - quick use"

Available in 3/4" reversible ratchet

Torque range choices from 350-600ft.lbs. (480-800Nm)

My problem is my wheel nuts are torqued up too much, rather than not enough so that will be of no use to me.

The tools that Duncan/Neil posted up is what would be required to remove the nuts at home. If I had a 41mm impact socket im sure my rattle gun would have got it off.

My problem is my wheel nuts are torqued up too much, rather than not enough so that will be of no use to me.

The tools that Duncan/Neil posted up is what would be required to remove the nuts at home. If I had a 41mm impact socket im sure my rattle gun would have got it off.

Ben,,,do you still need help mate?. Without going out in the freezing cold now I'll bet we have the socket you need but it will be in 3/4 drive.

Duncan got that saying close to being right,,,I think it goes something like "Don't ever lend your wife,,,tools or lawnwmower as they will all come back to you rooted". :P

If you need help mate just ask,,,I beleive at the moment it would be easier to use mine than Duncan's as his should be packed away by now,,Pm me tiger.

Cheers

Neil.

I call this the holy crap i didnt put the oil line on my turbo and now i cant get fit a spanner in there to get it on, i dont want to pull the whole turbo out just to do it, and i cant really afford 100$ to go and buy a set of adjustable head ratchet spanners just now tool :blush:

296029.jpg

Edited by Arthur T3
  • Like 1

Flywheel lock, to allow the flywheel bolts and harmonic balancer bolts to be torqued properly when the engine is out of the car. This is actualy a lock for a vw engine but fits perfectly on RB's as well, and costs about $5-10 from most old vw parts places.

post-26553-1277849665_thumb.jpg

Edited by GTRNUR

Ah the old flywheel locking tool. I've been looking for a Nissan one for ages and wouldn't you know it a VW one fits. Many many years ago I owned Kombi's and had one of those. God only knows where it is now. Thanks mate,,,next time I'm over campsie way I'll buy one.

This next one goes hand in hand with my tyre pressure gauge. It's an electronic temp gun,,,point,,,shoot and theres the temp,,,it also has an infrared pointer as well which is pretty cool. Great for track stuff as you can measure track and tyre temps and adjust pressures accordingly. But it's also useful for checking intercooler and radiator temps,,,you will be shocked at the difference from one side of a cooler to the other. There is a bit of a fun factor to it as well.

post-29-1277889015_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Neil.

This next one goes hand in hand with my tyre pressure gauge. It's an electronic temp gun,,,point,,,shoot and theres the temp,,,it also has an infrared pointer as well which is pretty cool. Great for track stuff as you can measure track and tyre temps and adjust pressures accordingly. But it's also useful for checking intercooler and radiator temps,,,you will be shocked at the difference from one side of a cooler to the other. There is a bit of a fun factor to it as well.

Cheers

Neil.

Ive heard of those also being used to balance individual injector trims based on EGT. The exhaust temp is measured by taking a reading off the manifold next to the head end flange. Individual injector trims can then be adjusted to balance out any differences in injector flow.

Ah the old flywheel locking tool. I've been looking for a Nissan one for ages and wouldn't you know it a VW one fits. Many many years ago I owned Kombi's and had one of those. God only knows where it is now. Thanks mate,,,next time I'm over campsie way I'll buy one.

Cheers

Neil.

Thats cool

Where from and how much?