SAU Community

The Cool Tools Thread

Duncan

Here's another favourite from Medalist. The flexable drill extension is what I'll call it. One end in the drill,,,the other end has a chuck,,,so you can use drills,,,grinding stones or what ever takes your fancy. It's great for getting into some of those hard to get at places.

post-29-1277975963_thumb.jpg

I love tools. If they make my life easier and I have the cash,,,I'll buy.

Neil.

Andrew,,,a mobile tool guy that comes to work gave me an "End of financial year leaflet" today and the same one as mine (ABW 70618) is $269. I've had mine for a few years now,,, but I didn't pay anywhere near that. No way would I have paid any more than $180.

Cheers

Neil

Cutting hoses straight is always a pain in the arse,,,not anymore with this razor sharp hose cutter. Rachet closing for one-handed operation,,, it will cut through plastic,,,rubber and nylon hoses. Now more using dangerous hand held blades.

post-29-1278130200_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Neil.

sifnt just use house hold scissors Neil lol

team POV ftw lol

Rofl,,,you stick to the scissors mate,,,I'm over cutting radiator hoses and the like with them. I'm into nice and neat hoses. My old adage is "If you can't go quick look good".

Moving on,,,heres 2 of my 1/4 drive sockets sets.

post-29-1278415762_thumb.jpg

This one is one I bought,,,it's a Kokon set ,,,Japanese brand,,,not rubbish which I'm liking. If I had the money I would buy all their products.

post-29-1278415778_thumb.jpg

This one is Kinchrome which was nicely donated to me by Duncan,,,still not quite sure why,,,maybe all my losed blood over the years. It's a great set as well being AF and Metric which suits me.

Cheers

Neil.

Kingchrome really took the title from Sidchrome ey..

I remember back in the day Sidchrome was the stuff to get, now nobody seems to get them..

I found out somewhen that Stanley was owned or run by Sidchrome, All my socket sets ( 1/2, 3/4, 1/4) and a lot of my other tools are Stanley and I find them all great value...

How do you cut intercooler piping, dmn near impossible to get straight with a knife?

Kingchrome really took the title from Sidchrome ey..

I remember back in the day Sidchrome was the stuff to get, now nobody seems to get them..

I found out somewhen that Stanley was owned or run by Sidchrome, All my socket sets ( 1/2, 3/4, 1/4) and a lot of my other tools are Stanley and I find them all great value...

How do you cut intercooler piping, dmn near impossible to get straight with a knife?

I've owned my sidchrome stuff for 20 years,,,great back then,,,but now nowhere near the same quality. Kinchrome are good quality tools for everybody thats not a full time mechanic imo. My old sidchrome stuff with it's life time garantee (spelling) is no longer covered by stanley,,,I'm not happy and will take it further.

Cutting intercooler hoses,,,same old shit,,,mark it and use a blade,,,just don't cut off the end of your fingers mate. :);):) .

These picking tools are very handy,,,they do a great job of sorting stuff out and would make great weapons if that stupid idiot next door starts trouble.

post-29-1278495913_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Neil.

Been looking at toolchests lately, seems I need to spend atleast $5k to get a half decent Kincrome or Repco toolchest set although ideally up to around $8.5k

Sure it would be cheaper to just buy the chests and add tools as I need them but theirs something nice about having a whole set that go together nicely :)

I've got a very nice set of Repco ratchet spanners, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 17mm and 19mm... Absolutely excellent!

I also have a full ratchet set from 8mm to 34mm and the same sizes in AF... I LOVE IT! Awesome quality (So far... And I give them abuse with 1M+ bars on them...) with a life time warranty...

yeah they are handy. But I'll be stuffed if I can find a set with the common nissan sizes 8x1.25, 8x1.5 10x1.25, 10.x1.5.

Anyone got a set with the right sizes, let me know where you got them!

Ben I'm probably going to buy myself a tool chest set as a new house present. was looking at the ones with expanded foam insets so you can see what is missing

yeah they are handy. But I'll be stuffed if I can find a set with the common nissan sizes 8x1.25, 8x1.5 10x1.25, 10.x1.5.

Anyone got a set with the right sizes, let me know where you got them!

FROST $25 at Bunnings, but doesnt have 8 x 1.5

Ben I'm probably going to buy myself a tool chest set as a new house present. was looking at the ones with expanded foam insets so you can see what is missing

The kincrome sets come with these but Sidcrome don't, unsure about Repco as their chests (order only) or any other brands as they are the only 3 i'd buy.

While I think those tool chests are very cool,,,they come full so theres bugger all room for expansion. A couple of other points need to be understood also,,,buying quality tools should basically last you a life time so spend wisely,,,those cute foam bits will not,,nor will the plastic ones. Tools break through abuse,,,shit I break them from time to time,,,thats just a fact of life and life time warranties while they sound great are not always backed up like you think.

Personally I would pick a quality brand such as kinchrome (not sidchrome) buy a tool cabinet that suits you and add the tools as you want. You can alway expand with more cabinet add ons as you go.

Hers's my current garage tool boxes,,,nothing special and no way big enough but I get a lot more tools in them than a bought tool chest.

post-29-1278592656_thumb.jpg

Cheers

neil.

Dunc you are better off buying the sizes you commonly use rather then a cheap bulk set. The taps in those sets arent the best quality and break easy.

Just get some sutton or P&N ones. Any good tool shop or bearing shop should have them.

I just bought this kit as I got sick of using breaker bars to un-do diff and gearbox filler and drain plugs. 1/2 inch while being close to the right size is just asking for knuckle skin loss. While only one adaptor will fit Skylines the others will sooner or later come in handy for some other jobs. I have no idea why they supply a 3/8 drive short bar,,,I'll use a socket on the end and a breaker bar...

post-29-1278594204_thumb.jpg

post-29-1278594381_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Neil.

Dunc you are better off buying the sizes you commonly use rather then a cheap bulk set. The taps in those sets arent the best quality and break easy.

Just get some sutton or P&N ones. Any good tool shop or bearing shop should have them.

+1! only use good taps, theyre too easy to break lol. even if they dont break, they'll go blunt pretty soon. cheap taps/dies are good for tapping coon tasty/mainland colby and threading bega stringers