SAU Community

The Cool Tools Thread

Duncan

I just bought this kit as I got sick of using breaker bars to un-do diff and gearbox filler and drain plugs. 1/2 inch while being close to the right size is just asking for knuckle skin loss. While only one adaptor will fit Skylines the others will sooner or later come in handy for some other jobs. I have no idea why they supply a 3/8 drive short bar,,,I'll use a socket on the end and a breaker bar...

post-29-1278594204_thumb.jpg

post-29-1278594381_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Neil.

DO WANT!

Where from? How much? I'm over destroying knuckles when doing my gearbox/diff...

I also am in need of a heap of tap and dies... And good drill pieces.

DO WANT!

Where from? How much? I'm over destroying knuckles when doing my gearbox/diff...

I also am in need of a heap of tap and dies... And good drill pieces.

Matt,,,I buy most of my tools from a mobile tool guy that comes to work. Do a goggle search mate there are quite a few brands that make them. Mine was on special at $69 bucks,,,they are usually about $90.

Here's where I bought my drill set,,,They often have really cool sales and it's worth getting on there mailing list.

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Home?link=top

I have bought a few things off them over the years,,,this el-cheapo blasting cabinet was about $120 bucks. I was lucky enough to have the sand and glass stuff so that cut down on my costs,,,trouble was after building it ,,,(it comes flat packed) I had to pull it apart again and seal up all the joints with foam. The perspex lid is a bit ordinary but for the money is great. It works a treat.

post-29-1278668972_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Neil.

While I think those tool chests are very cool,,,they come full so theres bugger all room for expansion.

That's the idea, if they come full im bound to have the right tool for the job 98% of the time instead of improvising by using the wrong tool from multiple brands/sizes.

those cute foam bits will not,,nor will the plastic ones

The 2 reasons I like the tool inserts (especially the Kincrome foam) is that its extremely easy to notice if a spanner or screwdriver is missing just by opening the drawers and it's also easier to grab the exact size required rather than sifting through a dozen spanners laying in a drawer. Even if they were to break they can easily be ordered from Kincrome.

life time warranties while they sound great are not always backed up like you think.

That is quite true, hence why i'd only buy a big name brand. I've been delivering Kincrome tools for 7yrs to various shops in the west and from talking to the staff at these shops not once have they ever had Kincrome knock back a warranty repair/replacement.

While I think those tool chests are very cool,,,they come full so theres bugger all room for expansion. A couple of other points need to be understood also,,,buying quality tools should basically last you a life time so spend wisely,,,those cute foam bits will not,,nor will the plastic ones.

Cheers

neil.

From another cool tool fan............

Dunno if it's been mentioned before but fyi we used to get the plastic moulds from the socket sets when first purchasing a socket set or the like, upend plastic tray & fill it with silastic, used a couple of cartridges, smooth off & leave to cure for a few days.

Did a Minimax socket set like that about 20 years ago. Still got it & the moulding is fine. Just not plastic anymore, that broke away over time leaving silicone mould in place. Downside is the silicone adds weight to the kit but if you are not humping the tools around the plant on your back, (which I am not) then it is not an issue.

My 2c

Cheers GW

Edited by 260tech

From another cool tool fan............

Dunno if it's been mentioned before but fyi we used to get the plastic moulds from the socket sets when first purchasing a socket set or the like, upend plastic tray & fill it with silastic, used a couple of cartridges, smooth off & leave to cure for a few days.

Did a Minimax socket set like that about 20 years ago. Still got it & the moulding is fine. Just not plastic anymore, that broke away over time leaving silicone mould in place. Downside is the silicone adds weight to the kit but if you are not humping the tools around the plant on your back, (which I am not) then it is not an issue.

My 2c

Cheers GW

That's a fantastic idea! Will have to remember that one.

This is my new toy. Got it yesterday.

post-40368-1278756223_thumb.jpg

1/2" rattle gun-Got one, had it for a couple years now, definately a cool tool. Also bought the 3/8th drive 7.2v version recently, has as much go as my air ratchet without the hassles and bulk, handy for stubborn 10mm splash tray bolts etc. Also recommend the Snap-On drill bit set, pretty much anything melts in front of them, been in use for a few months and haven't needed sharpening. :banana:

Edited by blk94r33

Dunc you are better off buying the sizes you commonly use rather then a cheap bulk set. The taps in those sets arent the best quality and break easy.

Just get some sutton or P&N ones. Any good tool shop or bearing shop should have them.

good call....I've picked up 2 tap/die sets over the years looking for the right bits, may as well have just bought the right ones. they are still as dear as poison each thought

good call....I've picked up 2 tap/die sets over the years looking for the right bits, may as well have just bought the right ones. they are still as dear as poison each thought

Yea and I've noticed you only bought them for yourself mate. :thumbsup:.

Here's three more great tools,,,from Medalist,,,thanks Marky your a champion.

Nice Butane torch,,,hands free operation,,,great for soldering big stuff,,,like battery cables etc but really cool on heat-shrink,,,warming hands,,,cooking pidgeons ect.

post-29-1279023591_thumb.jpg

Two in one with this baby,,,Drill Press and Vice,,,love both. Beautiful straight down drilling and a vice to hold everything nice and straight.

post-29-1279024291_thumb.jpg

Mark at Targa 2010.

Cheers

Neil.

post-29-1279024540_thumb.jpg

post-29-1279024619_thumb.jpg

tl7000.jpg

I want to get me one of these! would be so handy for those small jobs.

around $700aus

Wish I had the space for cool stuff like that. I've often toyed with the idea of a small lathe but just no bloody room.

This last week I've had to pull down an old shed up the back that stored all my old race bike stuff because we are having new fences put up and it was built right on the property line. Boy was this a blast from the past,,,I reminiscenced for hours then came across this old beauty.

post-29-1279184419_thumb.jpg

post-29-1279184435_thumb.jpg

I used it once just for the fun of it,,, lets all be thankful for electricity.

Cheers

Neil.

OK, who knows where I can get a decent, lowish cost electric paint polishing buffer? I don't want it to be a cheap, shitty unit, but I don't want to buy something that's industrial grade that will cost a mint, either. I'm pretty sure I've seen some cordless ones too that use the same battery packs as cordless drills, etc., but I might be mistaken.

Anyone?

I've used one of these and think they are are great. If anybody is interested in one pm me as I will be buying 2 soon and can get more. Yes I'm going to buy off ebay usa. They are made by Lisle part no 24610.

post-29-1276778793_thumb.jpg

I've just received 4 of these coolant bleeder/burping tools. They cost me $47.50 each landed to my door. Duncan and I will have 2 ,,,so 2 are up for grabs if anybody wants them. PM me if you are interested,,,1st in best dressed.

Features and Benefits:-

Enables unattended filling of the cooling system

Saves time and eliminates spills and mess

An additional adapter and threaded cap have been added to the set to fit screw on style adapters found on many newer GM vehicles

Eliminates trapped air pockets which cause erratic cooling system and heater performance

Fits most domestic and import cars and light trucks

The Spill Free Funnel is used to fill coolant into the cooling system. It controls the proper amount of coolant entering system and enables unattended filling of the cooling system. The funnel eliminates squeaky belts caused by coolant overflow and protects the environment. Angled neck allows use on radiator caps that are placed at an angle.

Cheers

Neil.

• 3 weeks later...

Whilst not a tool, it is the next best thing.....

I only intended on buying a regular 7 drawer tool trolley but I liked how deep the drawers were in this 1 so it was perfect for my drill, grinder, etc and the ball bearing slides and locking mechanisms feel good.

post-1296-1281168430_thumb.jpg

So, I managed to get me a Air Compressor!

Little 30L unit, comes with an air gun, tyre filler and a spray painting gun. The only thing I need to buy for it now is a 1/2" rattle gun!

• 1 month later...

I had to bring this thread back to life,,,tools are cool.

Over the years I've bought heaps of rubbish/cheap hole saws,,,in the end I spend the money and bought these. While they are great the only down side is when using the bigger sizes a 13mm drill chuck is to small. Lucky for me I inherited my father in laws big kick-arse drill. So just keep that in mind if you are thinking of buying a set like this.

post-29-1284109455_thumb.jpg

post-29-1284109469_thumb.jpg

You also need to use a cutting compound or you'll blunt the saws very quickly.

Cheers

Neil.