SAU Community

INFO NEEDED: Stagea 260RS

GTR R35

Hi,

I am abouts to purchase a 1999 Stagea 260RS Autech. I have tried to find info on them, but being a jap spec only, all the sites bar a few are in japanease. The other thing I have found is that there is also very little known about these cars. I find there are 2 versions of specs that about 100 sites use, but nothing official or correct.

I would like to ask everyone here, if they have any info printed or web based that I can compile into a english site for these rare cars.

Thanks

Mal

hehehe well you can correct what I don't know then.

4DoorGTR: There isn't much information because there isn't much to it, apart from the RB26DETT and some mechanical upgrades over the standard Stagea to cope with the power such as body stiffen, Brembo brakes, suspension etc and in/ext cosmetics to give it more an up market feel...or in other words BCNR33 goodies dropped into a Stagea body. They also don't come cheap and were built at limited numbers but there are a few floating around for sale. They will do a mid-high 13s quarter or there abouts for 1720kg car...faster then most lighter competitors. Still they are a dam heavy car to throw around if you ever tried to drift one even in the wet, but there are a few 600ps straight line demon ones down at the Port (Justin will know where I'm talking about), else one to drool over is the 900ps+ Hyper Dolphin 260RS...Yikes!

I believe there is actually 2 versions or face lift versions of the 260RS, the one in your avatar and I think the other is an earlier one (or later) with the driving lights located in the grill. Which ever one it is, one doesn't have the discharge headlamps

I'm sure the Autech site would have a write up on it, you could search there.

edit: btw I think one or two have made the country a while back as well as a few RS Fours as well.

260 RS is a great car, for those who want GTR level performance (kind of) and have a family, maybe dogs too and need to carry a fair bit of luggage about :cheers:

I'm sure Rezz will be able to sort out some vital stats on the 260RS. Be warned though, as Evo Lee said, they're quite rare and fetch a premium...

probably the same reason people would want an R34 GTR instead of modifying a GTT...:cheers::D

The RS four is a great car, no doubts, and I'm really a big fan of the stagea's.

But, as I've heard some many times on these (and other ) skyline forums:

A GTSt /GTT will never be as good as a GTR.

So, I guess it holds that an RS Four will never be a 260RS...

well....

the main advantage of a gtr is the 4wd....certainly an rb25det is just as capable as an rb26dett at making sensible power levels...

since the stagea's already 4wd, a few simple mods and the RS FOUR is just as quick...and of course a Stagea is too heavy to be a super performer anyway. Which just leaves the brakes which I was expecting to upgrade anyway.

And, as for "A GTSt /GTT will never be as good as a GTR." :cheers:

Bring it on! I'll give any GTR a run around a track in my GTSt :D

Just out of interest, why would you want a 260rs instead of modifying a rs four?

Plain and simple...owning the real thing!

It's for prestige and the fact that anything limited release is always a big thing no matter. It's a big thing in Japan and I'm sure the same elsewhere.

This is right. What I really want is a 4 Door R33 GTR, but they would be over $75k landed and complied. I need 4 doors for work and the wagon will come in handy.

If I wanted to drop a RB26 into anything it would be a R34 4door, but I do not have this ability as I need a daily driver. I want a car that is low profile. I do not like show...only go.

I would not be happy in a RD FOUR, I have wanted a GTR for many years, but due to work and the fact I have trouble getting into/out of a GTR is difficult (im 6'5" and solid)

The 260RS in OZ will always be a rare car, where RS FOURS/r33/r34's are all now more available.

Rezz: I will appreciate any info. The model I am getting is the R34 1999 update model, the one with the lights in the grille are the older series.

The type of things I would like to know is:

What parts are interchangable witha GTR ? I know it has the same drive line but what about suspension, diffs (are they LSD) , ECU (I want a Power FC to suite) I also want to replace the dash with a 300+kmh speedo, but this is something I cannot find.

All I can say is NOTHING beats the real McCoy :-)

Ta

Mal

Ok, Troy pretty much summed up the 260RS bar a few things... and one VERY important thing.

The series 1 (97/10 - 98/7) and the series 2 (98/8 - 01/9) are pretty much the same except:

- Cruise control is omitted on the series 2

- Series 1 (black, white and silver colors avail.) Series 2 (Black pearl and Silver avail.)

- Series 2 has some kind of variable valve timing (sorry, no more info on this)

- Series 2 has discharge headlights, Series 1 doesn't

- Series 1 has front and rear spoilers, Series 2 doesn't (don't know what they class as 'spoilers' though! extra extensions on the bumpers maybe)

And the big one...

- Series 1 has 'normal' 4WD, Series 2 has ATTESA ETS...

I trust Car Sensor, they (along with Goo) are the authorities on Japanese cars here. The no ATTESA thing with the Series 1 is bound to cause some concern, but I can't see why Car Sensor would make an error that big... like I say, they're usually spot on.

Getting the RS-FOUR V soon (not an 260RS), and I'm excited.

Price and domestic issues (auto) remain high priority.

Brake upgrades and exhaust intake upgrades REAL SOON.

Brakes - can I please have some advice on

the best approach (other than the brembos off the 260)

Exhaust : Can I get hold of a dump pipe for the RS-FOUR V (Dec 96 model), where

and cost ??

Intake: Recommend filter as well please

Not having driven one, but having had a very good look at one (may still buy it, but the wife is against me - she thinks it looks like a volvo) - a brake upgrade wouldn't be at the top of my list. Unless you are thinking of tracking it straight away.

Ok, Troy pretty much summed up the 260RS bar a few things... and one VERY important thing.

The series 1 (97/10 - 98/7) and the series 2 (98/8 - 01/9) are pretty much the same except:

Dam I was hoping it was still there

- Series 1 (black, white and silver colors avail.) Series 2 (Black pearl and Silver avail.)

Thats weird, mine is original pearl white in colour and it is a 99 model, may be it is a series 3 ????

- Series 2 has some kind of variable valve timing (sorry, no more info on this)

- Series 1 has front and rear spoilers, Series 2 doesn't (don't know what they class as 'spoilers' tough! extra extensions on the bumpers maybe)

The one I am getting has a large wing on the top of the boot, this is apparently stock ???

And the big one...

- Series 1 has 'normal' 4WD, Series 2 has ATTESA ETS...Cool, I thought they all had the ATTESA, but I am happy

I trust Car Sensor, they (along with Goo) are the authorities on Japanese cars here. The no ATTESA thing with the Series 1 is bound to cause some concern, but I can't see why Car Sensor would make an error that big... like I say, they're usually spot on.

REZZ: Thanks for that info, is there any sites that have official info ? I can only find individuals sites about their cars.

Thanks

Mal

• 5 months later...

- Series 2 has some kind of variable valve timing (sorry, no  more info on this)

- Series 1 has front and rear spoilers, Series 2 doesn't (don't know what they class as 'spoilers' though! extra extensions on the bumpers maybe)

And the big one...

- Series 1 has 'normal' 4WD, Series 2 has ATTESA ETS...

I have a 260RS 97 Model not yet complied but in the garage just the same, and have been guaranteed it has the attesa system in place. l will get a second option though just to be sure. from what l know its everything of the good bits from the R 33 GTR.

Hi,

I am abouts to purchase a 1999 Stagea 260RS Autech.  I have tried to find info on them, but being a jap spec only, all the sites bar a few are in japanease.  The other thing I have found is that there is also very little known about these cars.  I find there are 2 versions of specs that about 100 sites use, but nothing official or correct.

I would like to ask everyone here, if they have any info printed or web based that I can compile into a english site for these rare cars.  

Thanks

Mal

did you get the stagea in the end

Not having driven one, but having had a very good look at one (may still buy it, but the wife is against me - she thinks it looks like a volvo) - a brake upgrade wouldn't be at the top of my list.  Unless you are thinking of tracking it straight away.

I thought because it looks like a volvo, it would be "missus friendly"?

did you get the stagea in the end

I have a new XR6 Turbo as I did not like the way the 260RS deal was going.

No insurance company would touch it except Just Cars and this was a $3k quote (30yo> rating 1 in sydney.) Also finance was difficult.

I am happy with my purchase, but I would swap it for a 4 door GTR any day, but not a 260rs as it is a wagon.

From all the research I did, I found that the 260RS 1999> is a R34 running gear, but with a 5speed from the R33. The car has ATTESA and brembo's and also has the VSpec diff. You will be happy if you can get one.

Luv the XR6T...

$3k for a >30yo Rating 1 is a bit much of an ask... :D Damn, now I would think twice into getting a Stagea for my next car.. But is that quote for specific 260RS or just a general Stagea? I better file in a quote too, hope it's cheaper here in VIC.