SAU Community

Rb20e

Hi you guys in Australia

I live in the UK and own an R33 with the boring RB20E engine and I want to turbo it (I know all the die hards will say junk it and buy an RB25DET) but I still want to do it - but here in the UK no one has info on the RB20ET which I believe you guys got as standard in the A31 Cefiro and one of the Holdens.

Right anyone got an RB20ET ???

I need an exhaust manifold ???

the part number would help then I might be able to order one from Japan

Even better has anyone got a manifold !!!!

any help much appreciated

Art

Hey mate, just to clarify, the rb20e never came in the commodore that was delivered in aus, only the ones sold in new Zealand... Not sure about the ceffy though, pretty sure they are in those as you say.

No idea where you'd find an exhaust manifold, are there any jap wreckers near where you are located? They should be able to source one, failing that you could try faithful old eBay, last resort is a custom made one.

But honestly man, I'm gonna join the crew and suggest a better engine. You are way better off doing an rb25det conversion for so many reasons. 1) the rb20e can't be that strong in NA form, so I doubt you'll be able to push it far in terms of power, and 2) you won't have much to Show for your money afterwards anyway, a dead stock 25det is probably gonna have more power that you could extract from the 20e...

But that thread that Martin suggested has a heap of info, well worth the read...

Good luck brother!

Also going to say don't bother with the 20E, it will seriously be a torque-less shitter, even at low power.

But if you're really set on it, would not a standard RB20/25DET manifold fit? Never seen an RB20E so I don't know what they look like, but I would have though they are the same engine externally?

30et manifold will fit it.

Thanks guys for all the comments

I knew everyone would suggest change the engine and yes that is favourable - but we all like to do our own thing and I have not seen any RB20ET's in the UK it would be different !!!!! isn't that what its all about !!!!! and if I can get second hand OEM parts its not going to be megga expensive.

My car is a totally standard white 1995 R33 GTS with only 91000 Kms - its engine is mint - I would like to keep it !!!!!!

Just to clarify some comments - the RB20E head is different to any of the others (except RB30E) its the flange layout it is slightly different - a good engineering shop could possibly modify an RB25DET tubular manifold for me but was looking for an OEM part !!!!

Turbo's and other stuff is easy to get - ecu can be modified or piggy backed no problem.

I am going to keep looking - tried all the UK breakers and of course eBay - no one has parts for the RB20ET over here thats why I am trying Australia and also like someone said New Zealand because you guys got the imports we didn't !!!!!

Must be some A31 Cefiro's or very early R31's (I think they got RB20ET's) in breakers somewhere ???? just want a manifold !!!!!!

Skyline's Rule

thanks again

Art

I would suggest having a look on the R31 owners club forum, since I know that a number of HR31 Passages came over here with the RB20E motor variants.

It's all well and good to do something for the sake of being different, but if you're going to the expense of sourcing heavy parts from Aus / NZ you may as well go for a twin cam motor anyway! lol

• 3 months later...

Hi mate

I have a Rb30et complete motor with ecu, wiring loom the lot.

Also has a high flow turbo that has probably had about 10 hours running,

I have the head off it at the moment as i was going to put a steel head gasket on it but havent had the time as yet to really do anything with it.

I got the engine out of a r31 import.

It is a standard turbo engine with the knock sensors etc i am pretty sure they all came out with that anyways but thought i would add that comment.

If your interested let me know.

cheers.

I wouldnt bother to be honest. I had a RB20DE in my coupe yes been twin cam i know its different but it was really slow! Been in a RB30ET and they pick up very quick, but putting a turbo on the side of a 2ltr single cam i seriously reckon a stock RB30E would be quicker. It's not going to be much better than what you have now imo.

I would seriously go down the RB25DET path like i am i havent had mine on the road yet but i have taken it for a quick run, i can tell its going to be some fun. The 25 would have alot more power and probally alot cheaper than turboing the 20E aswell as finding parts too.

you would be surprised i had a rb20et in a gq patrol which are pretty heavy and it loved it, compared to a standard rb30et it went about the same, running standard boost in both engines. they do go alright, and finding parts for them would be easy, apart from the head it self the rest is pretty much the same as a rb30.

ive got a full motor with everything standard, and they really are not that hard to get a hold of things.

your right a rb25 would be a better option but i guess each to there own when it comes to what they want in the vehicle.

haha yeah it is a bit like that, but still for the ole rb20et was running 12psi and it did all right, much better than running the standard rb30 carburettor engine i can give you that. I am now running the rb30et with aftermarket inlet for low down torque, camshaft, garrett 35/40 top mount, aftermarket wolf ecu, injectors etc etc runs 240kw with 36" tyres that alot more fun i must admit.

I run a workshop in victoria and do a lot of 4wd conversions and the odd skyline 2litre to 2.6litre conversions.

Doing one at the moment on a GQ Patrol with the 6.2litre L98 V8 out of the new ve commodore should be easily 320kw at the tyres N/A.

post-77667-1287370746_thumb.jpg

Must be some A31 Cefiro's or very early R31's (I think they got RB20ET's) in breakers somewhere ???? just want a manifold !!!!!!

Skyline's Rule

thanks again

Art

A31 never came out rb20et , buy a rb30et manifold off ebay , if it doesnt fit i'm sure you can customise it :whistling: