SAU Community

Passing The Pits Questions

CaM!

Hi hows it going, im going to the pits soon i got a few questions.

Could someone tell me what is the minimum tread limit that im allowed to pass the pits with?

Next question is will the pits care if i have a muffler exhaust ooks like your standard 3" tip pretty much will they reject me even though the exhaust is pretty much standard

Another question do they care much about the mods like front mount inter cooler, front and rear strut bar and a 3" pod filter. Its currently running stock boost so yeah.

All of these modifications were professional installed, wanting to know if these will cause problems.

Got one last one, do they care much if your car has a bit of white smoke coming out, im most likely going to fix this issue but if i dont in time will that be a problem.

Yours Truly,

Cam09

Hi hows it going, im going to the pits soon i got a few questions.

Could someone tell me what is the minimum tread limit that im allowed to pass the pits with?

Next question is will the pits care if i have a muffler exhaust ooks like your standard 3" tip pretty much will they reject me even though the exhaust is pretty much standard

Another question do they care much about the mods like front mount inter cooler, front and rear strut bar and a 3" pod filter. Its currently running stock boost so yeah.

All of these modifications were professional installed, wanting to know if these will cause problems.

Got one last one, do they care much if your car has a bit of white smoke coming out, im most likely going to fix this issue but if i dont in time will that be a problem.

Yours Truly,

Cam09

10mm tread minimum, usually judge this by eye but will measure it if it looks close to the minimum.

Won't care about exhaust, only noise. 91db is the maximum.

Even "profesionally installed" front mount intercoolers almost always hack up the reo bar, hit and miss, you might get away, but don't be suprised if they pick you for it, its a structural part of your car and is designed to help protect occupants in a crash, so modifying it is frowned upon :) Sturt braces they won't care about, the pod filter they will be fine with UNLESS it isnt secured at 2/more points.

White smoke will raise some eyebrows, does it go away after a while or is it constantly there?

10mm tread minimum, usually judge this by eye but will measure it if it looks close to the minimum.

Won't care about exhaust, only noise. 91db is the maximum.

Even "profesionally installed" front mount intercoolers almost always hack up the reo bar, hit and miss, you might get away, but don't be suprised if they pick you for it, its a structural part of your car and is designed to help protect occupants in a crash, so modifying it is frowned upon :wub: Sturt braces they won't care about, the pod filter they will be fine with UNLESS it isnt secured at 2/more points.

White smoke will raise some eyebrows, does it go away after a while or is it constantly there?

tread limit is actually 1.5mm, thats where the tread wear indicators are, thats the limit....i'd say 3mm for safe measure!!

i have never seen tires (sports tires) with 1cm tread depth....4wd yes, not sports tires!

Eeeh my bad...dunno wtf I was trying to type there.

DPI site says 1.5mm:

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/y...ehicle/1375.asp

Being a Skyline, your car will be getting alot more things checked and probably taken for a longer drive than all the commodores/falcons/camrys/magnas there. When my Ceffy went over the pits the guy was gone for about 10 minutes....the Carolla in the line next to me got driven out the exit gate and straight back in through the entry, and was done (its inspection took about half the time).

Why are you guys still going to the pits?

Don't you know private workshops do pit inspections now? I had my car passed with alot of stuff not even working like horn window squirters and other things lol... "we like to help people out". Do some research and never go to a DPI site EVER AGAIN.

It's so easy to get a car over the pits now it's not funny... might be different for a modified car as my car is N/A modded so you can't even tell the difference from standard from the engine bay really. Just looks nicely dressed up.

Why are you guys still going to the pits?

Don't you know private workshops do pit inspections now? I had my car passed with alot of stuff not even working like horn window squirters and other things lol... "we like to help people out". Do some research and never go to a DPI site EVER AGAIN.

It's so easy to get a car over the pits now it's not funny... might be different for a modified car as my car is N/A modded so you can't even tell the difference from standard from the engine bay really. Just looks nicely dressed up.

wat, as if in, Cypher Industries, Xspeed, Intune, Hyperdrive??

how....wat...explain????

bout to take my soarer over to get regoed, this info will be helpful!!

Only Dept of Transport inspection centres within the Perth metro area can remove yellow stickers (or work orders as they are correctly known).

In rural/country areas, Authorised Inspection Stations (AIS) exist. The AIS are able to perform vehicle inspctions for registration, removal of work orders etc on behalf of the DoT.

Only Dept of Transport inspection centres within the Perth metro area can remove yellow stickers (or work orders as they are correctly known).

In rural/country areas, Authorised Inspection Stations (AIS) exist. The AIS are able to perform vehicle inspctions for registration, removal of work orders etc on behalf of the DoT.

What he said. As if a government issued notice is going to be removed by any workshop.

i just passed the pits and had to get permits for strut bar, pod, sports exaughst. (without a cat hahaha but they didnt know that) and frontmount. but my reo bar is still in. and even for the boost gauge and steering wheel. had to change park lights head lights. get horn rewired, take out flamethrower kit.

so yeh theyl check everything.. not to sound bad but expect the worst... at least that way you wont be suprised if they nail you. but in saying that the first time i took a skyline over the pits they didnt check everything. but the last time i went over thay did.

Strut bars they dont care about.

Pod filters OK as long as they are secured.

Intercoolers OK as long as they are secured and also do not interfere with tow hooks.

All lights/wipers/washers must be in working order (I didnt check my parkers and they picked me for the LH one).

I would check the smoke issue out though, they will question you on that.

You must have 100mm ground clearance, if it is close then they roll a bar under your car, mine was 2mm too low on the exhaust and they picked that ;)

If you live metro, are you able to use this AIS's?

I remember back in the day my mate went to Gingin to get a sticker off his HQ ute.

There'es some workshop in Joondalup for vehicle inspections, and a mob in Forrestfield for anybody on here wanting to get their truck registered, they are a bit easier to rego but can't take off yellows.

Mate had his chaser registered at Joondalup, offered a carton of piss but was still told to remove shit like coilovers and adjustable arms.

There is speak of setting up more mechanical workshops the ability to do inspections to ease up the flow on the DPI centres.

Doing it through these centres is still a two stage process, you still have to go back to DPI to get plates and pay for rego and shit....might as well do it all in the one place, alot quicker and easier.

Alright then, thanks for the info guys,

Though im not particularly familiar with the term reo bar could someone tell me what it looks like.

Could you as well tell me were is this inspection workshop you went to which is in Joondalup?

Ive fixed the white smoke issue and now its fine, though do they check the structure of the car, so for example if there is hail damage on it do they care about that.

As well on the windshield would they take much notice on a slight crack its not exactly a crack but its more like when you put a hot rag on a cold windshield and it sort of cracks it a bit, pretty much slight crack inside the glass but you cant feel the crack from the outside.

If you sort of get what i mean.

Cracked windshield is a no no. Hope they don't notice it.

Pic of reo bar

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/uploads...71619_thumb.jpg

Mounts to the chassis, in front of the aircon, and behind the front bumper...it sevres as a mounting point for the bumper, resting point for the headlights and grill, and as protection in a crash (hence why cutting it is a stupid idea, not just for the sake of a 7000hp rated intercooler on a stock standard skyline, but for your own safety)

Alright then, thanks for the info guys,

Though im not particularly familiar with the term reo bar could someone tell me what it looks like.

Could you as well tell me were is this inspection workshop you went to which is in Joondalup?

Ive fixed the white smoke issue and now its fine, though do they check the structure of the car, so for example if there is hail damage on it do they care about that.

As well on the windshield would they take much notice on a slight crack its not exactly a crack but its more like when you put a hot rag on a cold windshield and it sort of cracks it a bit, pretty much slight crack inside the glass but you cant feel the crack from the outside.

If you sort of get what i mean.

if its small they may just get you to get it repaired, or theyll just let it fly, but my soarer front windshield had a 24inch crack in it, that shit would never pass!