SAU Community

Rust: Do they salt the roads in Japan ?

GTR R35

I was wondering if they sale the roads in Japan during winter to avoid Ice on the roads ?

The reason I ask is if I need to carefully check the underside for rust on an import from the north of japan I am looking at.

Thanks

Mal

Guest RedLineGTR

From what i have heard yes they doing either with salt or some chemicals. But the best person to answer that is Rezz or someone in japan. You should check under the guards in general as well when looking for a car you just never know where rust can pop up. My 2 Cents

ive read somewhere from someone that lives on the lower slops of Mt Hirai, they get snow every year which makes driving dangerous.

Sometimes there are salt boxes put on the sides on the road but most people dont use that and just use snow chains. its more likely that they would pour water on the the road than spread salt. The major roads in snow vulnerable areas have fountain/spray systems fitted on the side on centre of the road.

Can't speak for the rest of Japan, but in Yamanashi where I am in snows plenty and they don't salt the roads. Instead, it seems like 90% of the road population head down to their local Autobacs, yellow hat, tyre shop whatever, and get a nice set of studless tyres on cheap alloys and run those during the winter months...

either that or chains, which can be a pain to put on and take off.

I lived up in northern Japan near Aomori for three years and they never salted the roads, hell we were lucky if they actually plowed the roads. As a result most of the roads were covered with packed snow and once it starts to melt it's like driving on a road covered with potholes, great way to screw up your suspension :P

I like most people just got a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks thrown on junkyard Silvia alloys and never really had much of a problem getting around. I'm just glad my old Cefiro had an LSD, really made a difference.

I've never heard of the local government putting salt on the roads in winter, even when I was up in the mountains in Mie, like Dave 'n the Fourty-one-fifty say, everybody just uses studless tires or chains if they're into S+M.

I think I can almost pinpoint this rumour to an article on Japanese Import cars in HPI magazine back in... eeerm... 1997/8. That retard Martin D***** blamed all the underbody rust on a certain Japanese import because of the "salt they religiously put on roads in winter in Japan"... or something to that effect.

Thanks guys,

I am always a bit wary of any car that has come from snow covered areas, but I had never heard of salting the roads in japan, I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks for the answers

Ta

Mal

I live in Mito, Ibaraki-ken and they salt roads here all the time. Not every road but places/stretches that are in the shade all day, bridges and stuff like that. Its not salt though, its some kind of very fine chemical dust type thing.

Musy be up to local government offices obvviously. Hope this helps:)

Afaik they do not used salt for melting snow in Japan they use anti-icing chemicals, snow fences, electric wiring and hot water under roads and sprinkler systems, avalanche hazard overpass structures (us local guys would have seen these around) etc. They are perhaps the most advanced country in snow control and winter maintenance which other countries look to follow. Let's not forget their frequent traffic updates.

This also extends to sophisticated snow control and maintence for rail cars, heated tracks, snow fences and sprinklers system all work together to keep the shinkansen running on time, only blizzards ever stop then running.

that retard martin d***** reads this forums and is a member LMAO :D
No sh!t?:D

Well, I saw him in Osaka 2 years ago... he was acting like a retard, yelling and jumping about infront of some RQs and general Japanese people while being videoed by a friend. He saw me looking at him, and he froze for a split second, then started behaving himself (prolly coz he realized he wasn't the only foreigner there). At that point, I was embarrassed to be a gaijin in Japan... I promptly legged it to try and distance my self!:zap: :bahaha:

ez mate, we all make mistakes!

I like most people just got a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks thrown on junkyard Silvia alloys and never really had much of a problem getting around.

GOD F****N DAMN IT!!!

The guys i met at the Dyno Day where right.... The dumbarse car dealer (Sydney - AUSTRALIA!) sold me my car with these tyre's on it! (ie BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAKS!)

F****N SNOW TYRES.... you're sh***ing me!?!?!?

I knew they didn't match the tyre placcard and i'm taking it back for them to fix it (but when i get there and they say no, i'll be taking it through the DOFT with everything else)... but i can't beleive this! are these even avaliable in australia or have they left them on when the car was imported?

jeez!!!!

(also: for safety's sake... what's the speed rating?)

Where I am, they have little sheds on the sides of the road in some places (usual steep hills). I've never looked inside, but I was under the impression that they contained a lime-based compound - not salt.

IMO, there is far less incidence of rust on cars in japan - than the rustboxes (even newer cars) that you see on any road in Australia.

DJ984: I use to thrash around in the dry with blizzaks on my mx5 - they actually weren't too bad at all, in terms of grip in the dry. I think the biggest downside is they are quite soft - and would wear very quickly. I think I have a set of blizzaks on my r33 at the moment - I'll check the speed rating later.

i know they're rated at Q but that's not even on the RTA website (not that the RTA is the be all and end all of reference points).... I was just curious (as stupid a question as it may be) if they are actually sold in Australia... or why the'd be on an R32 GTS-t sold in Sydney....?

but thanx man, that'd be great... :(

Q rating is 160km/h

They won't match the tyre placard - but so many aftermarket wheel/tyre combos won't - so good luck getting any help there.

It may be a compliancing issue - but that usually has more to do with dry tyres not meeting tread requirements - and if the seller didn't comply this actual vehicle... probably up to you to change them.

Why are they on your car? Well, I'll give the two most likely scenarios:

(a) Owner sold the car druing winter/just after winter and couldn't be stuffed putting the summer rims back on

(B) Owner had a nice set of aftermarket rims on the car and sold them separately (to Upgarage or someone similar). Most people use their original factory rims (or a cheap/2nd hand set of aftermarket rims) for the winter.

Are they sold in Australia? Very likely no (especially given the snow coverage of oz), as most people resort to chains when the ski season comes around.

Its good to see that I am not the only one that thought Martin D***** is a bit of a retard!!!!! His behaviour on the early HPI Vids made me embarrassed to be associated with skylines if this is what aussies do when making vids in japan.