SAU Community

Defect Notice In Nsw Any Advise Will Be Much Appreciated

Hey guys i got a mate in NSW who just got defected. Its the first time hes ever got defected and i dont have much experience in this area also..

Hes car is a R33 GTST.

The defect says he needs a full inspection at a authorised unregistered

vehicle inspection station

hes got quite a few mods like

Stage 1 cams

z32 airflow metre

injectors

spitfire coils

hks turbo

hks cooler

atmospheric bov

apexi fc Controller

Apexi POD

Electronic boost contoller apexi

Bosch pump

Does this notice mean he has go back to complete stock as a rock?

The defect notice listed:

air box,bov ,exhaust,carbon fibre bonnet,

Chasis hole cut for the aftermarket intercooler pipe needs to be fixed,remove the pillar gauge.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Sound like he has has a notice to see the DECC. I got one of those on my last car. Is that what the notice has on it? If so he has to remove nearly everything. They not only look at what the defect is for. They look at everything. The inspection is called "anti tampering" so anything that has been modified.

I was also told by the police who issued me the notice that if the car was caught again with the same parts back on it registration is cancelled on the spot. They took photos of everything.

Did your mate have all that happen? If he just got a normal defect then PM me and I can help him through it.

Hey guys i got a mate in NSW who just got defected. Its the first time hes ever got defected and i dont have much experience in this area also..

Hes car is a R33 GTST.

The defect says he needs a full inspection at a authorised unregistered

vehicle inspection station

hes got quite a few mods like

None of the items listed below is owner-approvable according to the RTA.

Stage 1 cams

z32 airflow metre

injectors

spitfire coils

hks turbo

hks cooler

apexi fc Controller

Apexi POD

Electronic boost contoller apexi

Bosch pump

He can get the above items engineered.

atmospheric bov

This will not be able to be engineered and will have to be removed.

As will the CF bonnet and pillar gauge.

Exhaust is an owner-approvable modification _provided_ it meets the noise requirements.

Engineer should also be able to sign off on hole after appropriate reinforcement.

All of the above is "to the best of my recollection" - for a definitive answer, he needs to talk to an engineer.

Does this notice mean he has go back to complete stock as a rock?

The defect notice listed:

air box,bov ,exhaust,carbon fibre bonnet,

Chasis hole cut for the aftermarket intercooler pipe needs to be fixed,remove the pillar gauge.

Any help will be much appreciated.

It depends what your mate wants to do.

Putting the car back to stock, then getting it inspected should clear the defect. That will cost time and money. If he does that, then puts the bits back on he's liable to be defected again.

An engineering cert usually runs $500-600 and there's work to be done before it can be engineered. Also time and money.

What I would do:

Advise your friend to download the list of engineering signatories from the RTA website (it has names and contact details) and have a chat to a few of them.

He needs to tell them exactly what he has, they will tell him what needs to be changed before they will sign off on it.

Some are more "lenient" than others; basically, what he wants is a cert from the one that requires the least to be done to the car.

Regards,

Saliya

Man Australia really has some shitty laws. I drove my car through the inspection station here in Japan a few months ago. It was too low to drive allthe way through, so everybody behind me had to back out so I could leave, no interior except for drivers seat, 1 seatbelt and speedometer. PASS. they checked for a cat. conv, correct engine for chassis, mileage, and do the lights and horn work. I feel really bad reading all your stories of getting pulled over for such technical stuff.

Pretty much every liner getting around these days is far from stock,which makes it another handy thing for us older drivers.They just look at the lil ol lady in her 33 and smirk,and i'm on my way,if only they knew. :P

Never worked for me in my 34 :(

(Edit: though you are 20 years older... I still feel ancient compared all the 20-somethings on here...)

Pretty much every liner getting around these days is far from stock,which makes it another handy thing for us older drivers.They just look at the lil ol lady in her burka and smirk,and i'm on my way,if only they knew. :)

fixed...

If you wore your burka in France, it'd be outlawed and you'd get defected too. :)

Take the car to a mechanic who clears defects they will tell you if you have to go to RTA inspection station in which case things will be a bit more serious but it sounds like its just a basic defect notice. Not saying you wont have to remove parts these days even a basic defect notice will obligate you to do this. Someone correct me if im wrong but ive been told that as long the car isnt air bag equipped the pillar mount are passable but the R33 would have one so that will have to go as will the bonnet

Edited by Hiroshima Screamer

Man Australia really has some shitty laws. I drove my car through the inspection station here in Japan a few months ago. It was too low to drive allthe way through, so everybody behind me had to back out so I could leave, no interior except for drivers seat, 1 seatbelt and speedometer. PASS. they checked for a cat. conv, correct engine for chassis, mileage, and do the lights and horn work. I feel really bad reading all your stories of getting pulled over for such technical stuff.

Wow, only in Japan! Imagine if Australia was like that..