SAU Community

A Boy's Love For His Rb20

Probably just because I like to over do things.

The logs from the Motec at Winton showed that it was dropping oil pressure under brakes and I'm not entirely happy with the pressure that it's pumping given that the engine is new and the relief spring is already shimmed up. It's running Spool spline drive pump gears and I'm just not super confident that it's all 100%, so I'd prefer to dry sump it. The sump is from Lewis Race Engines, and it's had a couple of pin holes in it from new which I've had to braze up.

So I just wasn't super happy with the whole setup, so although it's going to be $10k, I reckon it's money well spent to ensure that the engine holds together a bit longer. I have gone with the Ross / Aviaid system because I've already got a Ross balancer so the mandrel will be a simple fit, but if I had more spare time for fabrication and fiddling I certainly would have got a nicer pump than the Aviaid with rootes scavenge instead of spur gears.

Also, I have now trumped you in over capitalisation on an HCR32 and have the most highly polished turd around. All I need now is a sequential dog box....

I don't have any pics of the Lewis sump but I'll take some when I pull it off in the next few weeks.

It drops pressure under brakes, fine in the turns. I actually suspect that the pump is more the issue, but without pulling it off I'll never know and the crank has been fitted with the Spool spline drive mandrel which means I'm kind of stuck with that unless I want to take the crank out. I don't want to do that, so dry sump is the best option. Not the cheapest option, but I won't have to worry about oil supply and pressure again so it's worth the additional expense.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Well back in Melb, got my gearbox back in after being pulled apart again. Now to tidy up a few things and get ready for the Bend in June. 

Can't wait to get the bus back on track. If anyone has some old school wheels then I'm on the hunt. I'm blown away how hard it is to find period wheels these days

• 2 months later...

Well after working in regional Victoria for the past 2 years finally starting to get home and get some work progressing on the car. Finally finished the wiring of my surge tank.   Worked great at Phillip Island and first day the quick connect on the return line made a breeze to drain tank after a session and work out fuel used. Ended up being able to easily work out the fuel required for 12 lap sessions during the recent 6hr and pitted with only about 5 litres left in the car. 

Needlessly complicated actually had good functionality :)

And https://www.jrmphotography.com.au/ always delivers on the photos front :)

20220724_173014s.jpg

PhillipIsland6Hour2022-44.jpg

PhillipIsland6Hour2022-121.jpg

PhillipIsland6Hour2022-39.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 months later...

So pulling the Racetech seats with wings out and trying to make a little more street car.  Lol, only prob is i dont have seat belt buckles to bolt to frames. Anyone with any spare or ideas on whete to get a pairbof buckles cheap

Once in need to get them trimmed to match...auto trimmers aint cheap

received_3289873211342069.jpeg

received_529220729038794.jpeg

On 10/18/2022 at 8:59 PM, Roy said:

So pulling the Racetech seats with wings out and trying to make a little more street car.  Lol, only prob is i dont have seat belt buckles to bolt to frames. Anyone with any spare or ideas on whete to get a pairbof buckles cheap

Once in need to get them trimmed to match...auto trimmers aint cheap

received_3289873211342069.jpeg

received_529220729038794.jpeg

absolutely love the CS Sportsters. do they drop in easily? plenty of clearance from side of seat to door etc?

On 10/18/2022 at 7:59 PM, Roy said:

Anyone with any spare or ideas on where to get a pair of buckles cheap?

I have found pulsar and patrol buckles to work with my s chassis seat belts in the past. Need some modding to get the length and bolt hole right.

Those recaros are so good, love them in my Z. Shame no provision for a 5/6 point harness.

On 10/20/2022 at 7:27 PM, Roy said:

The Recaro CS were shits to fit. The seats fit thevdimensions of the car well but the rail design and getting seat low is the usual head feck

Yeah. I had the same fitting some CF Bride reps into mine. Ended up doing some very small mods to be able to run without some thick washers that are "required" to fit the seat to the rail. Gained myself a few mm, still feel like they're too high.

Didn't want to go for the "ultra-low" rails as they are a different type of headf**k.

• 1 month later...

So after being ready with a week to spare before Bathurst, the car developed an oil leak that took 3 days to diagnose  Tried lines, gaskets and in the end it was a hairline crack in the alloy housing that bolts to the block that you screw your filter too. Was a bastard to diagnose. LOL , may need to make a longer oil cooler line and install one of those billet ones.

Then on to Bathurst. Car was running like a dream. First 3 sessions were either red flagged 2-3 laps in or just too much traffic and was forced to clear the slower cars until the re-categorised starting positions on the dummy grid. For session 4 they bumped me up 18 spots right behind a Cup Car on slicks. Was pumped and was hoping to finally get a good run without traffic.

On the first flying lap at the top of Mountain Straight the engine went flat and had no drive at turn in to Griffins Bend so had to do a Glen Seton 1995 and pull over in the gap in the concrete wall on the right to the end of the session.

So lost injectors for some reason so started pulling back all the loom tape trying to find the short. Couldnt see anything , so called it at 9.30pm and went for beers.  In the morning re-taped the loom and had injectors back!!!!  I hate it when things start working for no reason...I hate it more than when they stop for no reason :)

So waited to the afternoon session, spoke to drivers around me to make sure that I could find a gap and tried my luck for a single lap.  LOL i am guessing it was a combination of heat, vibration etc that something is shorting and popping the Engine Con fuse so with very few plces to pull off the track and too many walls to be losing drive and power steering etc only wasnted to do one flying lap

So this is the vid of that lap that ended up as a PB...sooooo much left in it. Will have to go back next year after i put a new loom in the old girl over Xmas

Even though the morning 3 sessions were red flagged etc the running around with Porsches and big HP Evos was the most fun I have ever had in the old girl

• Like 5

I'm too big a tight ass to do anything ECU wise. Power FC gets the job done. By the time I do an ECU. Loom, trigger etc it's 5k that doesn't make the car any faster as I really don't need more hp.

I'll pull the loom from the car and strip the loom this weekend . Also need to do a fre checks on the engine. Doing a hot shut-down at Griffins Bend wasn't ideal. Lifters were loud and engine  a bit cranky when I got it fired back up the next day