SAU Community

180SX 5 stud conversion

Zer0

What is required to do a 5 stud conversion on a 180sx?

I would probably try to get some calipers/discs from an R32, perhaps get some DBA discs depending on price.

What parts would I need exactly? Has any one done this before and would it even work?

A mate of mine did it, he got the rear brakes and hubs off a z32 n/a 300zx, and fitted the bigger brakes, and hubs as they bolted up to the driveshafts. We needed to make a bracket for the handbrake cable and get new brake lines made.

On the front he got the hubs machined to 5 stud and used r32/z32 brake rotors with the 4 spot brakes. If your going to convert to 5 stud you may as well upgrade the brakes. I think you can also get s14 or s15 front hubs but you need to change other things as well.

Doesn't sound too hard. I believe the S14 & S15 actually are 5 stud standard? Why the hell did they cheap out on the S13!! Damn them.

I definately plan to upgrade the calipers at the same time, may as well.

Then was thinking about trying to get some R33 GTR 17" wheels for it, I think they would look great on a 180SX.

But I still have to sell my R33 and get a 180 before I can do anything like all of this!!

Z32 brakes are by far your cheapest and easiest option - You can upgrade the brakes and do the 5stud conversion at the same time for little money. The Z32 brakes are quite big, and if u get them drilled they will look very impressive. They're very easy to put onto the S13 also.

the S14/15, rear hubs are straight bolt on. As for the fronts you have a couple of choices - you can use the entire S14 stub axle inc lower control arms and bolt them straight on, this wheel give you 10mm more track at the front. Or you can go aftermarket hubs which bolt stgraight on, Tokyo toys manufacture replacement hubs for the S13's. If you have any more questions let me know.