SAU Community

R32 Return-flow Intercooler Kit

Sammy

Hey guys,

Just thought i'd share a little project i did for a mate over the weekend, if you don't like or .. anything really, then feel free to talk up, i handle criticism well. I am not a welder or a mechanic, they're both just hobbies i that i try my best not to be dodgy at. :whistling:

The project was fairly simple: make an intercooler kit for a stock R32 GTS-T, using no more than 2 metres of straight stainless, and silicon pieces we had lying around (2 x 90's, 1 x 45, 1 x straight). I also wasn't allowed to cut any extra holes in the body, and the reo couldn't be touched. This basically left me with only one way to do it - return-flow intercooler kit.

Now i know there will be LOTS of hate for all the lobster cuts - yes they were time consuming, but we could only use what we had then and there, and we didn't have any bends - not that you could buy any that have a tight enough radius for what we needed anyway.

Pictures are more fun than words, so yeah:

48026066.jpg

These are basically the three pipes required for the whole thing. Not pictured is a 15cm straight section we also used.

99394585.jpg

21631558.jpg

All of the pipes got some little weld beads put on the end to stop the piping from popping off. Unfortunately i didn't take any photos - my bad.

14577771.jpg

Due to the weight of stainless, the long section of pipe required me to weld a bracket that bolted to one of the factory holes in the body. This bracket also helps keep the piping from touching the body of the car and the intercooler (there was probably less than 5mm space either side of the pipe with it running behind the cooler).

93562788.jpg

25993916.jpg

57151543.jpg

Once the front-bar was back on, the silicon pieces and pipe were unable to be seen. If the cooler was completely black, you'd hardly tell it was there.

84485829.jpg

Looks virtually stock!

Sorry i didn't get more pictures of the finished job; it was late and VERY cold by the time we finished.

The kit works well; there appears to be a noticeable improvement in power, but most importantly it still looks standard to the po-lice. I'm suprised the japanese brands have steered away from these types of kits, especially since they aren't destructive in any way and are completely reversible, but i guess they have to keep up with trends(?). I hope you enjoyed reading/looking, or were inspired somewhat to maybe make your own.

Love, Seamus (and Sam)

• 2 weeks later...

awesome work, looks wicked. lol mind stealing the measurement off you? how much did it cost all up? what size intercooler was it? lol. sorry for the questions. im looking at using the stock piping because i dont like the idea of cutting holes and then using 500meters of piping before it reaches the engine from the turbo.

tell me everything you did. lol. if you can, Pm me. cheers.

great work :D

awesome stuff dude, loving the return flow cooler!

the welds look pretty good, but just take in to consideration that because only only fused it (looks like you fused it) that when you got around to the start there might be pinholes...usually if you fuse the whole thing by the time you get around there isnt enough material to fill the pin hole. youve got to tail it off kinda. or add a tiny dob of wire!

very impressed!

out of curiosity, how did you go with making the lobster? did you draw it out first? or guesstimation?

also did you use a dropsaw to cut it all up?

ive seen alot of people make what they call lobster backs that are shocking! yours looks the goods, better than some of the shit i see when i go on site (im a metal fabricator)

Edited by bLaQ.bOi

Thanks for the replies guys :rolleyes: appreciated

BenSm:

Absolutely. Cost all up was about $50 for the three silicon pieces, $30 for 2 metres of 1.6mm 316L stainless (we had to buy it in 6-metre lengths though), and the cooler was bought off a forum for $80. The steel used for making the brackets was just lying around, but is very cheap. I guess if you want the full price you also have to factor in cost of consumables, gas, filler wire, cutting discs etc. So basically the whole project was able to be done for around ~$200

The intercooler measurements on the box were 550 x 230 x 65. It had 2.5" inlet/outlet, which suited the standard piping perfectly.

If i was doing it again, i would definitely do it using a cooler like an XR6T unit that already has a 180 degree bend at one end, or something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SKYLINE-R32-RB20-IN...rts_Accessories

20100508_1_001.JPG

Having that bend would save hours and hours.

blaq.boi:

Yes it was all fused, but i had a length of filler wire in the other hand for that exact reason heh. Every time you stop and start without it, it leaves a pinhole, so i just made sure to do a little dab every time i backed off the trigger.

And my method for making the lobsters is preeeeetty basic haha. I used a dropsaw, set the angle to 7-10 degrees. I draw two lines going down the pipe (one on one side of the pipe, another on the opposite side)

77351605.jpg

Then i basically make a cut on one of the lines, spin the piping 180 degrees over, measure approximately 4cm down the pipe, then make another cut. You can then continue doing this over and over and you end up with heaps of little lobster cuts that are all FAIRLY similarly sized, within a mm or three. I now have a small box of unused lobster cuts, because i got a bit carried away haha.

I hope that makes sense, i'm teh shit at explaining some things.

And thankyou very much for your kind words :)

Thanks for the replies guys :laugh: appreciated

BenSm:

Absolutely. Cost all up was about $50 for the three silicon pieces, $30 for 2 metres of 1.6mm 316L stainless (we had to buy it in 6-metre lengths though), and the cooler was bought off a forum for $80. The steel used for making the brackets was just lying around, but is very cheap. I guess if you want the full price you also have to factor in cost of consumables, gas, filler wire, cutting discs etc. So basically the whole project was able to be done for around ~$200

The intercooler measurements on the box were 550 x 230 x 65. It had 2.5" inlet/outlet, which suited the standard piping perfectly.

If i was doing it again, i would definitely do it using a cooler like an XR6T unit that already has a 180 degree bend at one end, or something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SKYLINE-R32-RB20-IN...rts_Accessories

20100508_1_001.JPG

Having that bend would save hours and hours.

blaq.boi:

Yes it was all fused, but i had a length of filler wire in the other hand for that exact reason heh. Every time you stop and start without it, it leaves a pinhole, so i just made sure to do a little dab every time i backed off the trigger.

And my method for making the lobsters is preeeeetty basic haha. I used a dropsaw, set the angle to 7-10 degrees. I draw two lines going down the pipe (one on one side of the pipe, another on the opposite side)

77351605.jpg

Then i basically make a cut on one of the lines, spin the piping 180 degrees over, measure approximately 4cm down the pipe, then make another cut. You can then continue doing this over and over and you end up with heaps of little lobster cuts that are all FAIRLY similarly sized, within a mm or three. I now have a small box of unused lobster cuts, because i got a bit carried away haha.

I hope that makes sense, i'm teh shit at explaining some things.

And thankyou very much for your kind words :(

nope explained very well... not far off to how i would have done it aswell! for someone who isnt a tradesman i like your thinking, alot smarter than some of the ppl that are passing as tradesmen these days lol

the first lobster i made was for a v8 in s14 conversion.

i had to re-weld over existing welds because he wanted the welds to be bigger... dont ever do this. welding over welds is terrible lol

i had to cut mine out with a 5 inch grinder!!! as i didnt have a drop saw handy! need to invest one asap!

heres finished pics after i polished it

post-22208-1282139248_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...