SAU Community

Tyre Tramping, Is It Bad, Good Or Liveable?

Just wondering sometimes when i smash from 1st to 2nd i get a tramp (Tyres skipping before they grab traction). Is this bad for the car is it capable of damaging something? Whats the fix? ive lowered tyre pressure etc... I do have very stiff suspension.

Whats wrong with your other thread:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Ty...p;hl=axle+tramp

In that thread we suggested you read this thread:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Ax...p;hl=axle+tramp

There is heaps of info in that second link. I am yet to completely eliminate mine but have reduced it a lot.

From my experience it is worn suspension bushes that cause this issue, so when axle tramp occurs you are further wearing down these bushes. Not mention the extra strain on axles and diffs.

Edited by Harey

Of course its bad for the bloody car!

How to fix? Don't "smash 1st to 2nd"! Pump the tyres back up (for general road holding). And stiff suspension won't be helping at all (you don't get proper weight transfer onto the rear wheels).

Of course its bad for the bloody car!

How to fix? Don't "smash 1st to 2nd"! Pump the tyres back up (for general road holding). And stiff suspension won't be helping at all (you don't get proper weight transfer onto the rear wheels).

My axle tramp would occur with just power no hard changing gears with tyres pumped up and not stiff suspension. Its not that easy. But there is tonnes of info in that thread i linked above.

• 11 years later...

Well, yes. They could be stickier or less sticky than previous. To cause tramp, it's more likely that they are more sticky rather than less. They could have a different sidewall stiffness and/or different inflation pressure.

Try a bit more and less pressure ans see which feels better. That might help tramp and make handling worse, so you may have to find a new compromise.

I have axle tramp. I will never do anything to get rid of it that will adversely affect the lateral grip of the rear end.