SAU Community

Stagea C34 Automatic Surging

p0rt3d

Hi there, only just driving this car 3rd day and decided to stretch its legs along the highway after needing to overtake, dropped it back to 2nd at about 80kph to let see how far i could stretch it, and it did not like it at all, felt like the auto was jumping in and out of gear, and car surged back and forth until i dropped it back into drive and gently accelerated past, i have heard this is not a new issue with stagea's.

Any heads up information would be great, ill check back in tonight after work, sort of sposed to be working right now :)

Thanks in advance:)

Hi mate,

The auto box's in these big heavy cars need some good TLC once they are landed here in aus. A auto trans service with new fluids and tightening the bands will help but your best bet would be to get a shift kit installed while they are in their. Series 1 or 2? What state are you in?

I just did a significant mod. Make sure you have NO splits in any of your vacuum/pressure hoses. Make sure you are not over boosting. You can get a fuel cut or your AFM can be shit or your O2 sensor UTS.

Welcome to Boost World.

Hi mate,

The auto box's in these big heavy cars need some good TLC once they are landed here in aus. A auto trans service with new fluids and tightening the bands will help but your best bet would be to get a shift kit installed while they are in their. Series 1 or 2? What state are you in?

Thinking a full service might be the trick, located mid north coast of new south wales, coffs harbour area.

Dont think its overboosting? but alas no boost gauge to check either, i did own a 180sx prior to this so is not first turbo, been a booster for awhile now.

I have heard of shift kits for the stageas in a few readups, looks might i might just have to take it in and spend some coin, now just need to find some coin:)

Just cruising its a magnificent car to drive, also where the hell is the auto trans fluid dipstick, i feel like a right tool but i honestly cannot see it in the engine bay!

Thanks again for quick replies guys.

Hi had the same problem with my sons RS4, have a look at all the hoses feeding the wastegate , you can back it in that one is split somewhere and you have blown it off.

Ill start checking each and every hose/vacuum line first light tomorrow, if thats all the problem is, i will be ecstatically happy, saves me doing a full service immediately. Should be a relatively cheap repair if thats the case.

I have always looked at stageas and thought "mm yeah, they are ok..but naaah" but been more of a 2door coupe man (180's, R33's)

But i tell you what, this stagea, even currently with its issue has stolen my heart.

Talk about a well designed car, this thing is just amazing.

All i have to do now is remind myself i have backdoors, and stop trying to pile into the front seat with my hands full, only to lob all my bags etc over onto back seat, and realise there is a door there.

I will do a full checkover tomorrow and report back, delighted to see there is dedicated Stagea owners to help me through it, very helpful guys, thanks again.

Auto trans dipstick is a tricky bugger!

Its in between the firewall and engine slightly towards the drivers side :ermm:

Ah many thanks, ill find that tomorrow aswell, btw i believe series 1? its 1998 model if that helps.

Unsure how to tell, i can take some pics if required?

if its a tiptronic auto its a series 2. the other main difference is the S2 has separate hi-beam lights to the main head lamps, S1's are part of the same fitting. can you post up a bit of list of mods you have if any? to me it appears your problem is related to a maxed out air flow meter or the over boost protection that the S2's have, but you usually only start seeing those problems emerging after doing a few mods.

Not being a C34 owner, I don't how useful this will be, but if these use an encoder style speed sensor in the gearbox, (rather than a cable drive set up) it may be the culprit. On most Nissan gearboxes the speedo drive points down, and if the lip seal in the drive goes, atf can leak down the speedo drive shaft and into the encoder.

I had an auto R31 wagon that exhibited the same symptoms as the encoder filled with atf and slowly died. I know the next question, the speedo needle never even flickered, to begin with, but as the sensor

Sorry about that, posting from my phone, ran out of room.

Anyway, as the sensor died, it became easier to diagnose. At a steady cruise, it would flick in & out of O/D as the gearbox lost the speed signal. The speed sensor (if it has one) is situated on the underside of the box near the gearbox mount, a black round item with 3 wire coming out of it. Unplug it, it easily screws out, leaving the drive mechanism in the gearbox. If it has atf in it, this MAY be your issue. The lip seal costs about $2 and takes about 20 mins to change, don't know about the speed sensor cost. As I say, not being a C34 owner, this may be of no use, just something to check.

I just read your post properly, and saw that your issue was under full load, disregard my posts, go with the resident experts and service the box.

if the car is having trouble selecting and staying in gear its going to be the gearbox in need of some tlc.

Under high load say going up a hill with a fair bit of throttle does it sort of feel like its slipping and not giving forward momentum at times?'

if the car is having trouble selecting and staying in gear its going to be the gearbox in need of some tlc.

Under high load say going up a hill with a fair bit of throttle does it sort of feel like its slipping and not giving forward momentum at times?'

On my 35km daily trip to work its all up and down hills, it doesnt seem to struggle at all :action-smiley-069: just when i try to put my foot down it has an arguement with me, anything (at a guess) up to 50% acceleration it seems to be fine with, ill need to drive it more to be more precise.

Heres a doozy for you, checked ATF this morning, unless the dipstick is lying to me, it is saying there is almost twice as much fluid in the box then there should be, i checked it 3 times with same reading with cold engine. ill do another check in town with engine hot as im having a mate who is more engine friendly then myself investigate if i have any split hoses. :)

if its a tiptronic auto its a series 2. the other main difference is the S2 has separate hi-beam lights to the main head lamps, S1's are part of the same fitting. can you post up a bit of list of mods you have if any? to me it appears your problem is related to a maxed out air flow meter or the over boost protection that the S2's have, but you usually only start seeing those problems emerging after doing a few mods.

Mods list: Coilovers.

Yup thats it! :action-smiley-069: has a side mount FMIC but i believe thats factory?

Update: Cannot see any busted lines, or leaking lines. then again my mate decided for once in his life to leave his house before 10am and i did not catch up with him. I will still get him to check over it again yet.

Now for the interesting find..

:) There was about 400ml of water chilling out in my airbox like a swimming pool :)

I decided one checking the condition of the air filter after reading QWK32's post as i figured it could be something relative to an AFM issue, i did have that occur in the 180sx i previously owned and it was a similiar reaction to what happened to me on the HWY yesterday

Much to my horror i discovered approx 400ml of water staring back at me in the airbox, initially i thought it was oil and almost cried on the spot.

But no i assure you all its pure H20, well was anyway, i absorbed that sucker out into about 8 sheets of absorbant paper

I have just taken it for 4 runs up and down my main HWY, 60>130, 0>100, 80 dropped to 2nd> 120, all close to full throttle with no issues what so ever.

Could this have been all it was? i did also give the air filter a vigorous cleaning, wasnt overly bad to start with, 1 dragon fly, 1 stick inspect and random particles being the main suspects :D

Im still suspicious that there is more to happen to the problem, and the ATF level is still a concern, but currently the car is behaving 100%.

I'll keep you all posted, Many thanks again everyone :action-smiley-069:

sounds like the water could have been the problem, did it look like water was getting sucked through the air filter element, ie, was the element damp? if so your probably lucky the AFM didn't die because of it. the reading on the auto dipstick might not have been an accurate one, i know it takes me about 5 attempts to get a good level reading on them, try sliding it out at different rotations/angle to make sure it isn't rubbing up against the wall of the tube.

sounds like the water could have been the problem, did it look like water was getting sucked through the air filter element, ie, was the element damp? if so your probably lucky the AFM didn't die because of it. the reading on the auto dipstick might not have been an accurate one, i know it takes me about 5 attempts to get a good level reading on them, try sliding it out at different rotations/angle to make sure it isn't rubbing up against the wall of the tube.

No the air filter itself was bone dry, its really quite baffling, but there was a substancial amount of water in the bottom of the airbox, unknown as to how it got there, it has all been removed, being on country roads and having coilovers, ide say some of it was being sucked up through the turbo and causing my problem, it has not happened at all today, ive done about 120km in total flawlessly.

The Stagea was detailed previously to me getting it, perhaps a pressure hose was angled through the grill and spurted it up through airbox, thats my only possible idea so far. :P