SAU Community

Any Gains Going To A Hard Piping Kit?

Basically wondering if there would be any significant improvement going to a full hard piping kit over the rubber factory hoses for intercooler and/or intake.

By improvement I mean would throttle or turbo response be better for it or an increase in power possibly?

Car i'm thinking about installing it on is a 500 odd hp R32 GTR.

Thanks

Edited by HecticGTR

No gains what so ever.

Only thing you'll create is potential surge issues, especially with larger turbos.

Good to hear and thanks for the info.

It still amazes me how good most of the parts from factory on a GTR is still able to operate effectively even at much higher power levels.

Thanks.

There are some benefits to going a hard pipe kit. Worst problem is the cost. Check out the link below of guys modifying the existing twin turbo pipe to get the same effect as the trust/greddy suction kit. It can help with surge issues from bigger turbos. Also mspeed, hks, trust/greddy dont't fit them for the sake of it.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Tw...20#entry5406370

"the sake of it", worst argument that exists on this forum. The are no different to a BOV, AFR gauge using factory O2 sensors or a different gearknob.

Just because a business makes something to sell/profit from, doesnt mean it offers you any performance benefits.

Its just cosmetic, and fair enough if that is what you want to do it for. Just remember what can happen as a result = surge.

The link you provided is modifying the factory piping anyway.

There is no performance benefit from hard pipe, anything that can be done - can be done with factory gear.

How does a hard piping kit create surge issues? Something to do with the rubber being able to stretch and somewhat smooth out the harmonics of flutter?

Cheers

The rubber piping slightly flexes and for whatever reason it can alleviate surge.

Several users here have had hard piping kits, reverted back to factory piping, surge issues disappeared.

Every case if of course different (gt-rs's sometimes cannot be stopped without balance piping) - however the OP said 500hp, that would be -9s in terms of turbo size so no issue turbo wise. Even 500rwhp, would be -5s, also fine and shouldnt surge with factory BOV's & piping :D

if your running heaps of boost, then the rubber intake pipe from the afm to the turbo can collapse in on itself from the vacuum

I could list a dozen cars running 20+psi through -5s with around 380-400rwkw, no pipe collapse to speak of.

A week ago and I would have agreed that hard pipe kits were for show and a waste of money. My UK supplier of parts RB Motorsport never tried to hard sell me anything and I was surprised they were adamant that running well over stock boost the standard hoses could be unreliable, but given the price of the well known name kits were I carried on running stock. I was at a UK race circuit last week doing a test day and the hose that goes to the LH side I/C inlet burst asunder. I was VERY lucky that RB had a spare stock hose to hand and someone was quite by chance doming to the circuit from their premises 70 miles away that very morning. If not it would have been a costly waste and a a very frustrating day, having done only three laps. I believe the two hoses nearest the turbo outlets, and pre intercooler are the ones that often go, as pre intercooler means very hot air temps. Add old age and raised boost and they can cry enough. I now believe these kits have some definite merit.

• Like 1