SAU Community

Melbourne Autosalon - 28/29 August 2010

evilGTR

They have their good-from-factory place just like Preludes, Calibras and the rest of the FWD sporty marque. It's when you start spending money to chase performance that things are easier/cheaper using a factory turbocharged japanese sports car.

Must agree Birds. Performance mods for a Skyline would be cheaper/easier because there is heaps more of them in Australia. There is very few FTO's in Australia so you have the import factor and the rarity factor working against you. A lot of things need to be adapted from other cars. It took us 2 days to get a starter motor for the FTO. I finally found one at Jap Heaven in Melbourne (He'd got a GPX in over night so we were very lucky)

people actually like FTO's?? man never thought i would know anyone who likes them..well you learn something new everyday ey...

Love them! I was going to buy one before I got the Skyline. I may still get one if the Skyline dies. Excellent reliable cars with enough to please even the most picky of car owners. N/A 150kw more then enough for a P Plater,or someone who dislikes Turbos. Personally I'm not the hugest fan of turbo's just another part to screw up when some wanker boosts their car way to high. We had a Turbo Capri, and the turbo was totally shagged,and it had only had a new turbo put on it in about 2000 (was a showcar that someone had spent $65,000 AU on)

I don't mind FTOs. I nearly bought one until I realised how bloody slow they were! The handling is quite good though, and I normally hate FWDs with a passion.

If I was going to drive a girly looking lightweight car I'd take my MR2 turbo :P RWD > FWD

There not all "Slow" (GP's are slower then the others, Personally I wouldn't waste my time with a non-mivec GP FTO)

FTO's come in 3 models: GP, GPX or GPvR. GP's have 127kw from a N/A 2.0lt non-mivec engine in a car that weighs just over 1 tonne. GPX & GPvR is a Mivec 2.0lt engine (it's variable valve technology....think Honda's VTEC) with 150kw from a car weighing just over 1 tonne. Manual or Tiptronic (no such thing as a true automatic...only Tip). Tiptronic was still very new in 1994, and was seen as very technologically advanced. The cars were only built from1994-2000 (not because of flaws but due to them being limited edition awesomeness) What I think you're not considering is that they are N/A, they don't have a turbo to screw up when it's boosted incorrectly, no turbo lag, just preload the clutch and ZOOM! A GPX or GPvR in good running order should do 0-100 in 6.9 seconds.

It will take on and win against most cars. There is actually a video on U-Tube of it against a MR2, Supra, Levin, Integra, 180SX and a M3 BMW on a 5 lap race of Tsukuba in Japan.

It would eat my Skyline for breakfast (No surprises there because it's a GTv) however I haven't tried because I'm a good girl, and respect the road rules.

However it did eat my BMW 318I (once again not surprising) It killed my awesome 1.8 lt 83kw engine hauling 1.3tonnes of German tough machinary :)

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Opps forgot my link :

and some awesome pictures too.

1st- my 1994 BMW 318i

2nd- FTO in poor lighting

3rd- The Turbo SA II Capri (Disturbingly ugly ex showcar...I hated that car. Was so pleased to see it go)

post-75520-1283846729_thumb.jpg

post-75520-1283846999_thumb.jpg

post-75520-1283847252_thumb.jpg

Edited by slinky-minky