SAU Community

Flasher "can"

GoldZilla

Does anyone know where the flasher "can" (or relay or whatever it is) can be found on a series 1 C34? I've checked both fuse boxes (under the bonnet, and under the dash), but nothing indicates anything for the blinkers except the fuse, which I've checked and replaced just in case. I've got all indicators working on both sides, but they're flashing way too fast, as if one of them has blown...

Unfortunately, I've had to remove the LED front indicators for the time being - for some strange reason they were causing all sorts of electrical issues in my car. :):P:( The stereo and Defi's used to cut out for a second if I turned the high beams on, the idle was all over the shop (and still is to some extent, but it's better than before), and I think I replaced a battery for no reason.

Now that I've replaced the standard ones, most of the issues have gone, but I think it's killed the flasher can, so the first step is to replace that and see what happens next.

in regards to your electrical issue, had same thing in a r34 gt, its because of 2 things, the battery wasnt the right size, and the grounding cable was dirty and dindt get a proper grounding to the chassi.

replaced both, got a remade grounding cable, (alot thicker than old) and got the right battery suited for the car. sorted it all out.

and sorry i dont know where the relay is. should be around the drivers side though, you can follow the ticking the relay does when you turn your blinker on.

Not too long ago there was a thread on this with pics. Try the search It is on page 3. Help my indicators are not working

Edited by 66yostagea

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/He...rk-t332562.html

if u were using LED blinkers, this is the reason they are flashing so fast as the load on the circuirt is much less as LED's draw a fraction as compared to incandecent(normal) bulbs. You need to get some resistors which sometimes come with LED blinkers to fix the problem.

• Like 1

OK, today I located and tried to replace the flasher can, but the part I bought was wrong, so I'll have to order one from my local parts place. There are two made by Narva that are specifically for Japanese-imported cars (i'm guessing both JDM and Japanese-built ADM models). One is a standard issue replacement (http://narva.com.au/products/browse/electronic, part # 68244BL), and the other of them is made for use with LED blinkers, whether you use them in a combination with standard incandescent globes (like I am, or at least will be when I put my LED front blinkers back on), or all around (http://narva.com.au/products/browse/led-electronic, part # 68245BL).

It's weird, the hazards work fine (normal speed), but when I use my indicators they blink really fast, despite all the globes working. :D I'm hoping replacing the can will fix the issue, otherwise I'll have to take it to a sparky.

Anyway, in an attempt to get to it, I took apart the whole dash assembly over and around the steering wheel (steering column cover, dash surround, gauge cluster and lower dash panel). I kept using the hazards to try and figure out where the sound was coming from, but I still couldn't figure it out.

R0010217.jpg

Turns out I didn't need to do all this, as the flasher is near the bottom of the dash, to the left of the steering column. Removing only the bottom dash panel would have given me enough room to work with.

R0010216v2.jpg

Luckily, the dash only takes about half an hour to remove completely, so getting just the bottom bit off should save me plenty of time. If I could contort myself enough, I probably wouldn't even have to remove the bottom bit - I think it might just be within reach.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, totally disregard EVERYTHING I have said above, because clearly I'm an idiot!

I bought the Narva replacement for LED's - it didn't work at all...

I bought a genuine Nissan replacement - worked, but at that same really fast rate as if I had a blown globe...

Re-installed the LED blinkers, and it's fine (they must have the required resistors built into them). It turns out that when I'd put the standard blinkers back, I somehow found a pair of globes with the wrong resistance (i.e. too low) and this was the cause of the whole problem. Seeing as I know very little about the electrical side of things (and the fact that I was in a rush, so I just grabbed two globes that initially worked), it was a simple mistake to make.

I can get a refund back for the Narva flasher can, shame I can't do the same for the Nissan one (which, even with the discount, cost twice as much as the Narva unit).

Meh. I'm $50 out of pocket (unless someone else needs it and wants to buy the genuine unit off me), but it's a lesson learnt.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I have now got the same problem?

But instead of having indicators flash really fast, they don't blink at all??

My Hazards work? all bulbs are working, but the indicator itself does not turn the indicators on????

Can any one recommend what to do?

Cheers

same problem but they dont blink at all? so it a completely different problem?

if your hazards work i would have someone check your indicator stalk and all connections to it

If you've recently replaced any bulbs, make sure you got the correct type. As you'll read above, I didn't have the right ones in and once that was sorted the problem went away. I still have the LEDs in and it's all good.

IIRC, the hazards are on a separate circuit to the indicators, so maybe the issue is with the flasher can. I still have my old one here, somewhere... :whistling: The only problem with that is that I'm in Sydney.

same problem but they dont blink at all? so it a completely different problem?

if your hazards work i would have someone check your indicator stalk and all connections to it

Its sorta the same Problem,

when my hazards are on the flasher can clicks tho??

No bulbs changed, i Changed my Indicator stalk today and it didn't help, so now i have a spare stalk.

Ill have to take it to an Auto Electrician. Ive done everything i could think of to fix it. :down: