SAU Community

R34 Rb25de To Turbo Conversion?

thychiz

Hey all,

I'm a really new user to these forums, But have been reading them for quite a few years. I don't know a HUGE deal about the mechanical side of cars, But I know enough to get me by. I was an auto sparky by trade for a while, Mainly stereos etc.

That said, I'm looking for a little help from some of the more knowledgeable users on here, I'm hoping for a rough price range to convert my R-34 GT (RB25DE) to a turbo, what would be involved in doing so, and if it'd be a fairly pain free process. Note that there is no chance in hell I would be doing this myself, So I would be paying a professional performance mechanic to do it.

Cheers guys,

Thychiz.

Edited by thychiz

Hey all,

I'm a really new user to these forums, But have been reading them for quite a few years. I don't know a HUGE deal about the mechanical side of cars, But I know enough to get me by. I was an auto sparky by trade for a while, Mainly stereos etc.

That said, I'm looking for a little help from some of the more knowledgeable users on here, I'm hoping for a rough price range to convert my R-34 GT (RB25DE) to a turbo, what would be involved in doing so, and if it'd be a fairly pain free process. Note that there is no chance in hell I would be doing this myself, So I would be paying a professional performance mechanic to do it.

Cheers guys,

Thychiz.

Thanks ML73ZR.

Also something else I thought of, If I can get my hands on a turbo engine, eg; an RB25DET/NEO or even a R34GTR engine. + Turbo. Is it a relatively clean swap over, and what else would be needed? (Yah I know it'd be a much more expensive option. But to me it seems more reliable?)

Edited by thychiz

I would say you would get $1000 or less for your old engine depending on k's.

You would need a new clutch and depending on your need for speed a new gearbox to cope with the extra HP.

If its a GTR engine swap expect to pay at least $3500 for an r32 engine, $4k+ for an r33 or $5k plus for an r34 engine, price really depends on condition/k's i.e crashed car or removed from a mint car etc etc etc... To fit this engine you need to modify the sump to get it to run in RWD which I'm guessing what your car is ( not a GT4).

Then you will also need an aftermarket ecu and a few other gismo's to tune it which is going to be expensive, at least another $1000 for a good second hand model.

that said i have no idea on install costs.

If i was you i would do a swap with a GTT engine only if you have already spent a good amount of money on your car, because a few posts from now you will have a lot of people telling you to sell your car and buy a turbo one as its cheaper.. so get ready for that and work on your reason why you haven't looked at doing that Lol.

Edited by R34 -_-

for what it will cost you to pay someone to do the swap, plus buying all the bits, you would be half way to buying a turbo car. the best bet is to sell your car and buy a GTT. it will work out cheaper, it will have all the extra goodies that the turbo versions got, such as stronger gearbox, LSD and bigger brakes (although some of the NA's had the last 2 from factory).

for what it will cost you to pay someone to do the swap, plus buying all the bits, you would be half way to buying a turbo car. the best bet is to sell your car and buy a GTT. it will work out cheaper, it will have all the extra goodies that the turbo versions got, such as stronger gearbox, LSD and bigger brakes (although some of the NA's had the last 2 from factory).

Yeah... I'm considering going down this path. I am supposed to be coming into a little money from a will in the next 6 months, No idea how much. Depending on the amount I will either sell my GT and buy a Turbo.... or go for my "realistic" dream, buy a 350z, Whack in a twin turbo kit, and volia ... Haha.. But from what i'm reading it seems like the "easier" option is to just sell/re-buy. =( Shame.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone tell me what is needed for the conversion? I have the full intake, turbo, manifold, dump and front pipe, and injectors and fuel pump coming off mine this weekend. Other than an ecu upgrade is this all u would need?

Yep. R34 GTv.