SAU Community

HELP !!!! Skyline Wont RUN !!!!!! ARRGHH

Guys need your help in identifying a few things.

First of all went to start my car tonight, it wont start, wont even turn over. My car was running fine on the weekend. Sometimes I don't drive my Sky often at the moment (insurance related) so I started her up and let her run for an hour, just to keep her healthy .... ran fine.

OK, back to current crisis, I turned her on (not started) and as usual the aftermarket fuel pump turns on and makes a healthy buzz for about 5 secs, after which I'll start the car. I then went to start her, *CLICK**CLICK**CLICK** not even turning over.

I pop the bonnet and check everything .... seems ok, try again. This time fuel pump makes a lengthened groaning buzz like usual except it sounded sick. *CLICK**CLICK**CLICK*

Once again turned everything off, turbo timer, boost controller, aftermarket electronic gauges ... *CLICK*CLICK*CLICK*

After a bit of this, I turned her on, the fuel pump sounding very sick by this stage and taking 30 secs. Turned on the lights and tried to start her. Lights dimmed when attempting start ....

From this I gather it's batttery / alternator related. Mind you, this battery is brand new, only been in the car less than 2-3 months (as the battery that was in the car from Japan held no charge) .... now could this battery have met the same fate in the fact that it appears the alternator is not doing it's job ? or could the battery of just died ?

The fuel pump started not even turning on and just continuing it's buzzing, but also i've found that the *CLICK* that happaens when I attempt to crank, is happening the entie time the fuel jump is trying to start up.

I have found this click to be eminating from a clearish box located in the boot, on the right hand side of the battery .... what is this box for ??? eg if you take the wall outta the back of the boot and look in, to the right of the battery is a box. What is it for ? and why would it be ticking over ? Remember the car is a 1996 R33 Gts-t...

Any help in getting my baby started again would be appreciated :cry:

I'll be getting a pair of jumper leads in the morning to see what can be done, but if the problem is deaper, such as the alternator, how can I check to make sure ?

Lights I certainly didn't leave on (I'd notice them on in the light, let alone in the garage which is dark as. :?

The clear one is the HICAS box eh .... hmmm, whats the metal box to the right of that ? I thought the metal box that was mounted horizontal like below was HICAS, the box thats clicking is mounted vertically like in my diagram below ..... this is basically what you'd see looking into my boot :)

Also how do you check the alternator belt ?

(pic changed due to popular demand :P )

[img:30fb9e5b32]http://members.dingoblue.net.au/~jimmiejimbu/diag.gif[/img:30fb9e5b32]

Well it sounds like the battery, but i doubt the battery would just die like that unless it was something else. Either that or it's a shitty battery. If you jump start it, make sure you let it run for a good while, then when you turn it off. Make sure you've got someone with leads handy, try turning it on again, if it doesn't do anything then it could be something more serious like the alternator (or belts). When you turn the ignition on does anything come on at all ? If not then i doubt it isn't the starter motor. Although if the fuel pump is coming on then it may not be the battery. I don't know.

But can you like turn anything on ? Like does the instruments light up ? Or the radio ?

Instrument panel comes on (now it's dimmer than before after my little escapades), so does the turbo timer and boost controler as well as electronic guages.

As I said before, the fuel pump WAS turning on, now it's trying but doesn't sound like it's completing :P

If the battery is dead I'll ffreaking kill it (moreso) I just got it the other day !!! and as before I usually start the car up every week and let it run for an hour just to make sure it's keeping a charge, last time I did this was on Sunday arvo, was running like a champ, and now this :x

It's not even going over, could I have just blown a fuse ?

Could be the starter motor then. Either she's fried or slipped a belt. I don't think a fuse would have anything to do with it. If it's not even trying to kick over then I would think that's what it is. Does it even try to wind over or just nothing ?

Hehehehe, nope and nope. I can become a member of NRMA Roadside Assistance cant I for like $20 odd bucks a year ? Do you rekon I could join tomorrow and then call them later in the day ?

I can't push this thing anywhere, once out of the garage it must then go up a very steep driveway to get out. Not a chance.

Give it a tow, it's gunna be your best chance to see if it's the starter motor or not. If you go into an NRMA/RACQ/V/What ever shop, they should give you a cover note and put you on the puter there and then. So anytime after that you're covered.

But i'd really try and get it out onto the road and give it a tow or a push, give you the best idea of what's going on, and at least you can get around to the mechanics or where ever you wanna take it.